Why would I not take my girls outside when the weather is nice.

• Thread starter radrichie61
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
radrichie61

radrichie61

OK so this is a question that I suppose the answer is going to be why would I not, but it never hurts to get some feedback. Below you will see my cabinet nursery. I know it looks pretty bad compared to what other people do but hey, it is working and it is all I got. I live in coastal North Carolina and the weather is the bomb right now warm and sunny and I’m thinking why would I not take all my girls outside to soak up some good sunshine when it is nice and bring them back inside as the day cools off.

Do you guys have any thoughts on this?

Why would i not take my girls outside when the weather is nice
Why would i not take my girls outside when the weather is nice 2
Why would i not take my girls outside when the weather is nice 3
Why would i not take my girls outside when the weather is nice 4
Why would i not take my girls outside when the weather is nice 5
BigBlonde

BigBlonde

My nursery is in my garage, plenty of bugs here already, and a snake too last year and my office is out here. Yikes, and thanks for the advice.
I got spider mites, too. It was a painful lesson.

Do you plan to grow them outside?

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
It's the bugs..... :(. And possibly other things that you don't want to bring back into your indoor space. Adding natural sunshine during the veg phase is all good, provided it's not a shock or too intense.....a solution would be to put them by a good sunny window, could you do that? At some point carrying them back and forth could be an issue but if you're in veg, say 20/4, and you can make 4 hours of the 20 direct sunlight? Sure. Or even better if by adding a few hours of sun you're adding more overall light hours in the 24 (like you were doing 18/6, you add 4 hours of sun and it's now 20/4), that would be good. It would also lower your energy bill.

Novaracer69

Novaracer69

I know I personally in the spring I take my plants out to get some real sun. But everything in my tent at that time is all for outdoor. I know I have been very lucky 😌 but then again I did let some autos get frost damage because I forgot they were outside on the deck 😬

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

Id be worried little critters are going to eat those little sprouts right up. Id he worried bugs like already mentioned.

GrilledCheeze

GrilledCheeze

At this stage of growth I wouldn't be as concerned about mites as I would be shocking the plants. I don't know what your outdoor conditions are but if they are radically different from indoors you may cause damage. With veggies we do a process called "hardening off" to prevent damage from the climate difference and mainly the intensity of the sun. You take the plants outdoors in the shade for a couple of hours at a time for a few days until they are ready to take full sun. You can cause stretching or the plants can dry out fast if you're not paying attention. Personally, I would just hold steady with what you have now.

J

Jojo420

How about the plants sitting in the dark because your lights are too short .
Your gonna need longer lights to fully maximize your space.

Zen_Seeker

Zen_Seeker

OK so this is a question that I suppose the answer is going to be why would I not, but it never hurts to get some feedback. Below you will see my cabinet nursery. I know it looks pretty bad compared to what other people do but hey, it is working and it is all I got. I live in coastal North Carolina and the weather is the bomb right now warm and sunny and I’m thinking why would I not take all my girls outside to soak up some good sunshine when it is nice and bring them back inside as the day cools off.

Do you guys have any thoughts on this?
I did that when i started. Took them out in the morning and brother in at night. Then one of my wife’s tomato plants got spider mites which spread.

Took a week or two but got rid of them but no more in/out. Plant goes out it stays out now.

Novaracer69

Novaracer69

I know my plants took a couple of days to get used to the sunlight intensity. Today out of curiosity I used the photone app on me deck the par pointing at the sun was 1582🤯 well that makes sense why they didn't like it at first. Because indoors I veg my outdoor plants at like 200 to 300par(photone par) if I tried this inside I would fry my plants.

ezenzyme

ezenzyme

yeah you gotta go under shade cloth or under the good ol tree, ideally few hours of sun in the morning and shaded during the afternoon evening, do this for a week provided they are happy you can go to more direct sun. Watch out for hot pots, black pots in the sun, be ready to adjust your watering accordingly

I

imhigh

My nursery is in my garage, plenty of bugs here already, and a snake too last year and my office is out here. Yikes, and thanks for the advice.
Last year was a bad year in the north east for aphid infestation. You don't want them.

Top Bottom