Why you should make the switch from spirals to T5 biax(PL-L)

• Thread starter Hashshashin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

Hashshashin

Once again this a copy of a thread i started over at ICmag. I hope you guys find this useful i'll add pictures also. I think you'll find that These bulbs are truly superior in a small space.

"First off i'd like to say thanks to ScrubNinja for turning me onto these.

I just finished a cab in which i was using spiral CFL's but still had me hoping for more. Light penetration was poor as was coverage. But what if you could stretch that spiral out and get the benefit of the tube. Too bad you cant fit an 18" tube in a 12" cube.This is where PL-L's come in, they manage to give you the power of a long t5 tube in half the length which they bend it in half.

It is also cooler since the bulb has more surface area for cooling. this is because a long single tube is much easier to cool than a balls of tubes just due to air contact, as long as there's a fan flowing over the bulb it should stay cool. You can also keep the heat out of your cab due to a remote ballast allows you to run higher wattages ,cooler. These ballasts arent warm like HPS/MH

One big problem with spirals is that they toss light into each other in the center of the spiral, where this light can't be utilized and just increases restrike. The penetration of PL's are also much better due to bulbs ability to spread out the light and direct it far better than the spiral. If your not using a spiral cfl vertically your wasting much of the lights potential. This would be the opposite with tubes though due to their ability to spread light over a larger coverage area.
old_cab_2.jpg
Old_cab.jpg

Costs would be a little more expensive for a micro grower but not by much maybe $30 if that. I just purchased 6 bulbs, sockets, clips and a ballast to power 4-18w bulbs for $80. I think if your starting from a new and need to buy sockets and everything there is no reason not to make the switch. Why use outdated technology if your trying to achieve the best buds. Not to mention that most of us micro growers are limited by space and a spiral takes up way to much space if using a cab such as mine. The tubes really stay out of the way and would allow you to get the most out of your small space. My new box seems like a brand new space, i can't believe how much room it opened up.

I believe with pl-L's you can use less watts compared to CFL to gain the same or better yield. i'd easily spend the little bit of money again just to utilize the better light."

My new cab is 13x13x11" which is why i chose 18w Pl-l's their only 9".

cube_outside.jpg
cube_inside.jpg
cube_ceiling.jpg

Granted the light doesn't look bright in there in the pictures, but it real life its much brighter, and much cooler, i don't even have an exhaust fan in there yet.

H

Hashshashin

Also these bulbs go under many names such as the ones mentioned or T4 2g11 or FTxx/2g11. You must make sure the ballast can run T5 biax or 2g11 and not just T5. Granted it may be able to work but i'm not sure and theres some great ballasts for under $30 sometimes shipped.

Shady

Shady

Chillin' in the Shade...
Supporter
Nice thread and info Hashshashin! I'd like to see pics of the remote ballast and the sockets... I'm also very interested in how they are similar or different from T-5's. Could these be used in a verticle arrangement? :thinking that would def help with light penetration of the lower canopy... Also are these bulbs readily available in hardware stores?

4u2sm0ke

4u2sm0ke

very nice..is the pictures upside down? where do the plants go? And what are you doing for exhaust in there? looks like you have both spectrums covered..and looks like the sockets are mokeable which would lead me to think it can be hung anywhere..I do the same thing with reg sockets in my Breed/male box I can install those anywhere and wire it up..I like these for the size..But the cost wasnt there for me..Thanks for shareing..will fallow up later until then take care and be safe

:passingjoint:

H

Hashshashin

Yes the box is upside down because i had liquid nails drying. Two of the sockets require clips and i dint want the bulb falling down while drying. Also my exhaust fans arent here yet but they i have 2 75mmx75mmx25mm computer blowers. I should only need one pulling by the base of the bulbs to rid m cab of any heat. Just so you know my cab is running about 3 degrees cooler with this setup compared to only 2-24w CFL's before and I'm running 4-18w.

This is for the people who are starting a new micro grow and don't mind buying equipment online. Some things were available at my Home Depot but that was the only place. I don't see why it couldn't be run vertically, they might even do better that way since the end of the bulb really doesn't put of light as you can tell from the pix. The cost is going to be a little more than the average CFL setup but i think its well worth the cost if your limited on space and intend to hang tons of CFL's.

Here some pix of the sockets:

here are pix of a ballast: http://www.businesslights.com/howard-lamp-mv-prs-t5-ho-fluorescent-ballast-pi-2386.html?image=0

H

Hashshashin

These plants are going quick. i'm going to be flowering in this cab very soon. I'm also going to be using 2-24w and 2-18w. We'll see what happens.

user126004_pic354984_1271519744.jpg
room.jpg

Top Bottom