Wife's Indoor Garden.......

• Thread starter akstoner
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
akstoner

akstoner

Bought my wife a tent so she can grow some of our food. I have questions and so does she. What light should she use for 4x4x6.6? could i let her use a 600w hps w/Flower bulb or Veg bulb? and also what can she grow indoors..... i have been doing some research but just dont have enough time to help her lol so i figured id pick ya'lls brains of KNOWLEDGE......(echos) ............ on that note im off to see the wizard the wonderful wizard of Oz.........we are currently reading heirloom vegetables.....

TOMATOES, POTATOES, CUCUMBERS,LETTUCE, SPINACH, etc......

Thanks BUD-dies

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
HPS will work fine and a 600W will be PLENTY of light for all of those. But for the size space you're going to work with, in my opinion you're going to really have to be careful with the tomatoes, cucumbers and squashes because they get SO big. I think you'll have a much easier time growing smaller plants like lettuces, onions, spinach, kale, chard, and that sort of thing. If you keep it to stuff like that, you can knock down the lighting a little bit to a 400W, or even fluoros. I recall you said AK power bills are rather steep.

I feel that cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower will also get too huge to really grow easily in a space like that.

akstoner

akstoner

Yes i have been reading fluorescent bulbs would be sufficient....plus they will help save $$$ on the bill. So I was going to suggest my wife a 300w for her grow tent when she decides to bloom.....and run T-4/T-5 ....thanks

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
What about going with cheap-o T8s? I've grown corals and giant clams with them, they can produce the light. You just have to keep them pushed down and mix the bulbs right.

I suggest this because I really am rather cheap. And T8 fixtures can be had $10/double 48" unit, and the bulbs are super cheap, too.

akstoner

akstoner

What about going with cheap-o T8s? I've grown corals and giant clams with them, they can produce the light. You just have to keep them pushed down and mix the bulbs right.

I suggest this because I really am rather cheap. And T8 fixtures can be had $10/double 48" unit, and the bulbs are super cheap, too.

The link below i have attached what i would like to get her which is the t-8 4 ft but i have been thinking and have seen the LED replacement bulbs? would they be worth it or a waste of money?

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/1...BaseShopping&gclid=CPXirJ2kosoCFc5bfgodIZsNCA

akstoner

akstoner

So here is the beginners guide that I was talking about it has a lot of great info about all the vegetables temps, soil depth, spacing,sun harvest etc

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
The link below i have attached what i would like to get her which is the t-8 4 ft but i have been thinking and have seen the LED replacement bulbs? would they be worth it or a waste of money?

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/171326/LITH-0021.html?utm_source=SmartFeedGoogleBase&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_term=LITH-0021&utm_content=T8+Strip%252FShop+Light+Fluorescent+Fixtures&utm_campaign=SmartFeedGoogleBaseShopping&gclid=CPXirJ2kosoCFc5bfgodIZsNCA
I think that's an expensive fixture, I could spend $20 at Walmart getting a pair of dual 48" fixtures, slap 'em together and spend the rest of the money on good bulbs. I have not seen LED replacements for fluoros, ever. I don't know a thing about them.

But! I am THIS CLOSE to letting my husband buy me one of those LED shop lights to give it a try. The CRI and Kelvin rating at 5,000K looks pretty good for vegging to my eyes. I think he paid $35/fixture at Sam's Club or something like that. They push a LOT of light. So if those replacements are anything like the shop lights, I can't imagine they'd be too terrible to use. Even if they don't work so well for growing plants, most of us have areas around our places that could use a little more light, right?

The only other factor is heat--do you need more or less heat? In my basement I lack for heat in the winter, so it's either add a heater, or what I've done is 'spend' that energy on light instead.

Top Bottom