Will 150 watt hps give better buds?

• Thread starter mikeb437
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mikeb437

mikeb437

Was thinking about getting a 150 watt hps for my next grow. I don't want to go any higher in wattage cause I'm in a small box (19 cu ft ) but wondering if it'll give my flowering a boost from the t-5's I'm using now. Being it is only 150 watts I'm wondering if it's worth upgrading...

Here's the box I'm using

coloradochem

coloradochem

yes i would think a 150 will make a huge diff compaired to floros. i grew with a 150 for a cple years and made some damn good bud with it.

mikeb437

mikeb437

How's the heat on something like that? That requires a ballast too right?

coloradochem

coloradochem

yes it requires a ballast, i think most 150s have the ballast attached to the reflector. mine was a security light. the heat wasnt to bad i didnt have a vented hood or anything, just a lil can fan sucking heat off the top of the lite case. hope this helps

Taedon83

Taedon83

IMG_05714.JPG
IMG_05685.JPG

Not bad for a 150w right? I love my 150w and 2x2x5' growlab tent. I've got rock hard buds and the stinkiest fire off it. the problem is the numbers. but .5gpw is easy with 150w. check out mythread as its current (under micro grows)

mikeb437

mikeb437

My t5 grow is in that section too. Check it out as well..

J

Jar Man

There's just something about any HPS light taste and potency wise over the results you can get with flours. With a 150w HPS in an 18" sq. X 5' space I cropped nearly a QP (112 grams) off (2) 42" Hindu Kush ladies.

mikeb437

mikeb437

Sweet.. I seen a few with a built in ballast as well so that's another plus! Do these get very hot when you run them?

darkpink

darkpink

no they shouldnt , but if it heats a bit just run a table fan or 6" mini fan from wallmart accross the light to disperse the heat in the room rather then the box your using.

dp

T

Toone

I Was thinking on upgrading as well to 150 watt hps from cfl helps alot

SCARHOLE

SCARHOLE

150 w Hps only have a good footprint of light bout a foot down an 2 ft around.
I train my plants as short bushes an put the light right above them. Sog an SCROG would be great
If you have a tall plant the light is too week exept at the top near the light.

sky high

sky high

Models such as this Sunlight System or the Hydrofram unit have holes drilled right in the hood to accept a small fan to help vent out heat. Pretty sure there are 150 and 250 units in this style in both MH and HPS.

good luck in your decision

s h

CabinetGrown

CabinetGrown

Sweet.. I seen a few with a built in ballast as well so that's another plus! Do these get very hot when you run them?

When you consider the ballast and the 150w bulb, you're actually pulling closer to 200w...and that will put off some heat. What kind of CFL are you running? I've used the 200w MaxLume and got some really good results with it. It puts off over 17k lumens which is higher than most 150w HPS bulbs. + you can keep the CFL closer to your plants.

I'd recommend spending some time refining your feeding and dial that in before investing in more equipment. It's much easier to determine where your problems are when you only change a couple things at a time.

My 2 pennies...and probably worth about that. Good luck!

Bannacis

Bannacis

I used two 150 watters hps i got at lowes (street lights. i was able to remove the light reflector and mogul separate from ballast. just added extension to the mogul.
that way you can keep most of your heat out and closer to your tops.

Top Bottom