Will a coco 'mat' cause Ph to rise?

• Thread starter HydroDawg421
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

HydroDawg421

I have a flood/drain table that's set up for top feeding with a coco mat underneath.

My PH keeps rising to 6.8 - 7.0 despite my best efforts. I'm using the Advanced Nutrients Ph Perfect line.

Will that coco mat cause the Ph to rise?

Will a coco mat cause ph to rise
Will a coco mat cause ph to rise 2
T

TryingToGrow

Supporter
I have a flood/drain table that's set up for top feeding with a coco mat underneath.

My PH keeps rising to 6.8 - 7.0 despite my best efforts. I'm using the Advanced Nutrients Ph Perfect line.

Will that coco mat cause the Ph to rise?

Hi, from my experience and what I have researched, the 'washed' (1.000.000 times), coco we buy is around 6.4 pH. I want unwashed and will look for that if I ever try and get coco again. Anyways, that's a yes if your water is below the pH of the coco and a no if is not.

I now amend all my coco with vinegar, gypsum, epsom salts, citric acid, vit c, etc, to get it to ~5.8 before putting any plants in it. Not sure how well that will go with your setup. But, I always water coco with 5.7 pH at the highest, maybe that can help.

I have no idea how your system is set up but if you can run water through/flush your system, with low pH'ed water (using whatever you use to pH your water), to get it to sit at ~5.8 pH, then hook the plants back up and keep pH'ing to 5.7 or so. Maybe it will help it stay lower.

Also, if it is rising so high, there is something else going on. I have same problem, my tap water, I need to let it sit for a week before using for the pH to stop rising so much/it to be so unstable, so it can be used. r/o, distilled, rainwater is supposed to help this, though, my rain water is polluted as well, so, it's also is weird.

Last edited:
Top Bottom