Will a single 8" Vortex fan

• Thread starter KAWIGREEN
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

KAWIGREEN

Will a single 8" inline Vortex fan be enough to cool 4 BIG hoods with 1000w bulbs in each....??

M

MIway

Depends on the definition of 'good enough'... which will depend on where you are growing... and how you use the fan/ducting.

Maybe? But bigger is usually better for the fans... say a 10" Max Fan on a speed control.

K

KAWIGREEN

Thank you for the response...im in Michigan and using a spare bedroom...I was given a brand new Vortex 8" fan along with a brand new box of 25' insulated 8" flexible ducting...How would you suggest I use the fan and ducting..?

I

ibTheMan

U always want to pull threw the lights and the srt8er the better, big time, so all inline as possible.

hiboy

hiboy

As long as the run isnt long, and less turns the better, and if your not in africa you should be good
hiboy

vonwolfen

vonwolfen

Having odd angles, and turns will make you loss a lot of suction. It is harder for negative pressure air to move through angles, and turns. Even for a short distance. If you are in a open end system with central air in your spare bedroom you might be ok, but 4000 watts puts out a lot of heat. For 40 buck you could get a inline duct booster(about 120-180cfm). That would help.

E

eirk66

If you are in a open end system with central air in your spare bedroom you might be ok, but 4000 watts puts out a lot of heat. For 40 buck you could get a inline duct booster(about 120-180cfm). That would help.

ehh not to into those inline duct boosters. I do agree with the open end system and not sure if you will be able to get cool temps with just 1 8in blower for 4 4000wts... possibly 2 6in blowers and use a ty for exhaust 6x6x6 or if you get another 8in blower a 8x8x8 so you just pull each hood individually

F

Fred

Premium Member
Supporter
I think it's enough fan for the job but that doesn't mean you won't need other intake/exhaust or A/C. Also, You want to pull through your carbon filter and then push through your hoods and out. I like to have a short piece of duct between my filter and fan....its a little more quiet that way.... so thats carbon filter, fan, hoods, and out. Still seal the hoods as tight as possible. That's better imo then pulling through the hoods and attaching the filter at the end of the run. If you do carbon filter, hoods, fan and out then smell will be pulled in through the cracks in the hoods and add stink to the air you just cleaned :nod

Good Luck with new stuff.

oh yeah. I wouldn't put a booster fan on with any other fan. When two fans are on the same duct they fight until one wins. Plus a 8" Vortex fan will be pushing so much more air that a booster fan would just hold the air back and drag on the Vortex.
fred

K

KAWIGREEN

Thanx for the replies everyone....Ive got a few funky turns that will need to be in the venting...The house has a bad azz central air unit and cools down quick...Im gunna think a little more about the fan options...Thanx again everyone..!

hiboy

hiboy

One thought on your long runs, i've run into problems using soft ducting at hard turns and angles so i installed metal elbows for direction change. Also aluminum tape with duct taping over that will strengthen and hold against excess heat. Ripped a couple at the elbows b4 and it turned like 100 degress in minutes.. Fortunately i caught it quick
hiboy

K

KAWIGREEN

Niice...im looking into the metal elbows tomorrow...thanx for the heads up..!!

jyip

jyip

i rana single 6 inch inline 275 cfm fan for asingle 1k hps light, usinga a negative pressure intake n exhuast setup and it was fine, but any elbows like the others said cut down on the air flo alot

i am thinkin it will be plenty, but u need to hav ac to cool the rest of the room down too, the 1K's put out alot of heat
good luck
oh intersting post fred...

Top Bottom