Will this pot ever dry out??

• Thread starter smaccio
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
smaccio

smaccio

Girl Scout Cookie, outdoor central Virginia grow, in Ocean Forest with added biochar / fabric grow pot outside since late May, er, I mean July 1.
IMG_4417.jpg
IMG_4416.jpg
IMG_4415.jpg
Occasional pests, powdery mildew. Spraying every three days with Neem or LCPT or Pyrethrum. I realized 10 days ago that I had over-watered, and at this point I haven't watered her since. I've even set her inside to avoid a couple of rains. Upper leaves look good, nice and green and reaching up, but lower ones seem like they still haven't recovered from too much water. Digital moisture probe registers some wet spots in the pot. Stands to reason if the soil still has moisture after 10 days. (She has a sister who looks quite a bit healthier and has been treated the same). Any thoughts on what's going on? Can I / should I repot at this stage of the game?

Ponky

Ponky

Girl Scout Cookie, outdoor central Virginia grow, in Ocean Forest with added biochar / fabric grow pot outside since late May, er, I mean July 1.View attachment 1143507View attachment 1143508View attachment 1143509 Occasional pests, powdery mildew. Spraying every three days with Neem or LCPT or Pyrethrum. I realized 10 days ago that I had over-watered, and at this point I haven't watered her since. I've even set her inside to avoid a couple of rains. Upper leaves look good, nice and green and reaching up, but lower ones seem like they still haven't recovered from too much water. Digital moisture probe registers some wet spots in the pot. Stands to reason if the soil still has moisture after 10 days. (She has a sister who looks quite a bit healthier and has been treated the same). Any thoughts on what's going on? Can I / should I repot at this stage of the game?
You can. But you probably don't need to.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

It looks like it doesn't receive enough light. Put it out in the sun more if you can, that will also help the pot dry out quicker.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
the lower leaves that got messed up wont heal, they just eventually die. you can pluck that one off and that will help.

it is probably almost dry at this point, but for future, just put it up on something so its bottom gets breeze. then point a small fan at it. just a light breeze around it. that will help it dry out.

quirk

quirk

Nice xeriscaping. I wish I didn't have to maintain a lawn.

Homesteader

Homesteader

I think the plant needs water my friend. That soil looks way too dry and its causing your plant to not expand its roots out. Just water every two or three days but keep the soil moist but never let it dry out unless you want the root hairs to die off. 10 days is too long IMO. You could place it on a pallet like ix said or anything that provides an air pocket and lets air flow.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
The best way to know if a plant needs water is to pick it up (no, not all body building picking up, just grab sides and tug up a tiny bit). You will notice it is heavy after watering, it will be very light when it needs water. Sawdust light. If it is light, water it. Water till you see just a drop or so from the bottom. Water slow and all around not just center.

if you do it this way and just keep a paper in the tent and note when, you can see trends.

Like when it's growing it drinks a bunch, before the leaves say I'm sick, it will take up less, so you know whatever you did upset her.

Another nice thing, you can tell is when the end is nigh. It slows then stops drinking. Then leaves turn and it dies. somewhere before all that death stuff, it is wherever you want it as medicine.

I graph water intake through life and hope to have a nice data set ... No idea of usefulness, but it's what I do.

Latest posts

Top Bottom