Will this salt water chiller work for hydroponics?

• Thread starter robeartobrenton
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

robeartobrenton

I am looking into buying a used

Aquanetics model number: ASC-2A - 1/5hp chiller.

He said he uses it in his salt water fish tank, i am curious if this chiller will also work for hydroponics? -

From what i understand the hydroponic chillers are not made with copper lines because it puts off extra copper in the water or it reacts to the salts in the nutrients im unsure really i just remember reading it somewhere.

If anyone has any information on this that would be great

Thank you

N

NorcalAbdiver

how much water are you trying to cool and what is the ambient air temp of the area the chiller will sit? If im correct i believe that chiller isnt being made new anymore. Anything made for saltwater tanks will be more then adequate for hydro needs. Saltwater organisms are much more sensitive to environmental issues such as copper.

I have a 90 gallon reef tank with a 30 gallon sump, i have 1k worth of lights sitting 6 inches above the water. with no air movement between the lights and the top of the water. I use an artica titanium chiller DBA-075 which is a 1/10 th hp chiller. This keeps my temps for my saltwater right at 80 degrees and will drop it down within an hr when it hits 81. So im basically chilling about 100 gallons of water. how much water your moving and if its in tank or out of tanks pumps along with room temps will determine how chilling power up will need.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Good Lord, what are you growing in that tank? A thousand watts over 90 gallons (usable space)?

N

NorcalAbdiver

SPS corals, otherwise known as Small polyp stony corals. I have mainly species of Acropora. These are the corals responsible for reef building and white sand beaches. They are 1 of the most sensitive Sea organizms in the ocean. They also require huge amounts of lights to grow and stay alive. 15 years ago it was almost impossible to keep them in home aquariums.

E

ehole

i'm guessing (or hope) lots of coral... i love talking lights with my fish tank friends

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I used to work the trade, AbDiver, that's why I asked when I saw that wattage over 90gals. Ya ever been to Steinhart, or Long Beach Aquarium of the Pacific?

L

Lost

I heard you can make good money raising corals. The equipment is exactly the same as a serious RDWC from what I understand..

LordDankinstien

LordDankinstien

yes it will work fine!!!! Just clean the shit out of it first, I would run just straight water into a bucket through it for awhile before I hooked it up to my system. My buddy raises and sells corals he doesnt make tons of it but he makes decent side cash. He cleans fish tanks for a living for usally he just sells it to his customers.

J

JAHGYDI

i have over 1000 watts over my 90 gal reef tank. gonna make a switch to all t5s to try an lower power bill.

Top Bottom