will this work?

• Thread starter fukwitit
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
fukwitit

fukwitit

cups filled with reg cheap topsoil from wallymart. fresh cut clone from a mother about 3-4 weeks into flower. used rootech cloning gel and stuck cuts directly in dry soil. then waterd with tap water. clear plastic cups on top as a dome. misted the cuts also. 23 watt cfl 24/7.
does this sound like its gonna work? here are sum pics..
Will this work
Will this work 2

kindfire

kindfire

Wow. Well for starters "topsoil" is not what you want. That stuff is for outside.

Natural

Natural

It might work out...some of those topsoil products don't have enough perlite to give the roots air, though. I'd look for cheapo bags of peat moss like promix..they have them at menards..not sure about lowes/depot. Plus less bugs in promix..if any.
I use to experiment with some 2 liter bottles cut in half when I started out..the main problem is getting air flow to them especially after a week/or when they start rooting they will need to be hardened off. I've never had a whole lot of luck with cloning flowered plants..sure you can get them to root..but it's going to be awhile for them to revert back to veg.
If your attentive and persistent it may work out..but peat moss and a $5 dome and tray will make life easier.

fukwitit

fukwitit

so do u suggest i put holes in dome for air to vent or no?
It might work out...some of those topsoil products don't have enough perlite to give the roots air, though. I'd look for cheapo bags of peat moss like promix..they have them at menards..not sure about lowes/depot. Plus less bugs in promix..if any.
I use to experiment with some 2 liter bottles cut in half when I started out..the main problem is getting air flow to them especially after a week/or when they start rooting they will need to be hardened off. I've never had a whole lot of luck with cloning flowered plants..sure you can get them to root..but it's going to be awhile for them to revert back to veg.
If your attentive and persistent it may work out..but peat moss and a $5 dome and tray will make life easier.

burn4me

burn4me

i would say yes to the holes. my buddy uses duct tape to partly cover holes if to big. you want to be able to get fresh air to it sometimes. this is also IMO so any others care to chime in?
and ACE hardware sells peat mix
good luck @fukwitit

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

i would say it is doubtful, you may get lucky but this is definitely NOT the best cloning strategy. ...you'd have had much better luck with cuts taken a week or 2 earlier but even those would have been hit or miss, i've never personally had much luck trying to root cuts in soil.

...coco now, that'd be a different story.

it really looks like we need a good basic cloning thread here at the farm, i'm sure there are several already if you can find them but it looks like we need a new one.

peace, bozo

Cort

Cort

+2 might get lucky.
Take a look at this post from Bozo. He links another canna site but describes how to make a really nifty cloner for about 5 bucks. I used this method with great success. So super easy it took several tries for me to mess it up. *too much heat*

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/ez-cloner-60.12802/#post-223714
Bozo, I didnt realize that was your post way back then but I had great success with the ice cube tray cloner. Thank you.

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

+2 might get lucky.
Take a look at this post from Bozo. He links another canna site but describes how to make a really nifty cloner for about 5 bucks. I used this method with great success. So super easy it took several tries for me to mess it up. *too much heat*

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/ez-cloner-60.12802/#post-223714
Bozo, I didnt realize that was your post way back then but I had great success with the ice cube tray cloner. Thank you.
...lol, thanks man and i'm glad i was able to help. btw, which method did you use, the bubbler?

peace, bozo

btw, thanks for the walk down memory lane, lol, i haven't seen that thread in YEARS!

Cort

Cort

The $5 walmart ice cube tray cloner. Punched in holes added vermiculite and took my %85 +/- rockwool clones to %95+ and gave me clones with no rw blocks.

Still have the trays....

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

The $5 walmart ice cube tray cloner. Punched in holes added vermiculite and took my %85 +/- rockwool clones to %95+ and gave me clones with no rw blocks.

Still have the trays....
...yeah man, i still think that is a great place to begin learning how to clone, the learning curve is very flat and the cost's are very light, plus, it's easy to succeed with no experience at all, 70 - 80% rooted clones your first run right out of the box is not out of line. ...once this method is mastered all other metods become easy.

...i don't use my ice-tube trays anymore but i still use the passive wicking skills i learned but now i just use cups of coco so potting up into my coco hempy's is just so freeking easy.

DSCI4483

DSCI4486

peace, bozo

Cort

Cort

I like rockwool, but sometimes I need a few cuts with bare roots. Its an easy way to produce 10-20 fast for a friend too.

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

I like rockwool, but sometimes I need a few cuts with bare roots. Its an easy way to produce 10-20 fast for a friend too.
yeah, i abandoned rockwool years ago, i found i didn't need it and i liked not having to buy it, i almost never go to a grow shop anymore, maybe twice a year to get bales of coco.

...speaking of grow stores i remember back in 'o6 when i began this journey that there was only a single, brand new store in my area, now i think there are at least a dozen within 15 - 20 miles of my house, lol. ...we are definitely making progress!

peace, bozo

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community...chnique-for-small-batches.57690/#post-1100296

This technique is fine; I usually get them to root about 80% of the time; take a couple extras. Coco > soil for this technique, but it can be done in most mediums, if they don't hold an excessive amount of water. Azobacter will kick-start the cuttings. You can buy a product called Azos if you don't want to use green compost.

Cloning success is 75% the health of the mother plant and 25% cleanliness. Life wants to find a way. Just remember, the less stress you can put on them at this time, the better.

Mr.sativa

Mr.sativa

Why would you take cuttings from a flowering plant ? In my experience I've always found out that revegging a plant that is already too far along in bloom will almost always stress out the clones and lead to abnormal growth patterns and sometimes totally turn hermaphrodite which is no good! Try taking clones off a plant that's not flowering yet and if you shop at wal mart just look for the cloning plastic domes that come w starter plugs

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

Why would you take cuttings from a flowering plant ? In my experience I've always found out that revegging a plant that is already too far along in bloom will almost always stress out the clones and lead to abnormal growth patterns and sometimes totally turn hermaphrodite which is no good! Try taking clones off a plant that's not flowering yet and if you shop at wal mart just look for the cloning plastic domes that come w starter plugs
...revegging, per se, won't make a plant go hermie, not unlesss it is already prone to it.

i revegg all the time bro. ...the big one is only a couple weeks from her second flip.

a closer look at the first stump.

...and here is a look at that stump after the second harvest.

DSCN0354

...and some new growth as she starts her third veg cycle.

DSCN0357

DSCN0358

...taking cuts at this stage is a bad idea because your failure rate goes way up but unless the hermie trait is already fairly strong, revegging will not cause this to happen, not in my experience anyway.

peace, bozo

fukwitit

fukwitit

...revegging, per se, won't make a plant go hermie, not unlesss it is already prone to it.

i revegg all the time bro. ...the big one is only a couple weeks from her second flip.

View attachment 387604

a closer look at the first stump.

View attachment 387605
...and here is a look at that stump after the second harvest.

View attachment 387606
...and some new growth as she starts her third veg cycle.

View attachment 387607

View attachment 387608

...taking cuts at this stage is a bad idea because your failure rate goes way up but unless the hermie trait is already fairly strong, revegging will not cause this to happen, not in my experience anyway.

peace, bozo
thx for that feed bozo. this is the mother witch i pulled them from
IMG 20140312 233812

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

...you're welcome man but like i said, taking them this late means your cuts might not take, i hope you took several, and then your only recourse will be to do an actual revegg and while most of my plant's do indeed revegg, some do not.

so in the future i'd strongly recommend you either have a mother or rooted clone BEFORE you flip or you take multiple cuts no later than 2 weeks into flower, it's always better to take all the necessary steps to preserve your gene pool and when you wait past 2 weeks that's what you're doing, risking losing this particular puddle in your gene pool.

peace, bozo

fukwitit

fukwitit

4 day update: cuts seem to be doing fine. not droopy, inside of dome is still humid, soil still moist. seems to b doin fine.

fukwitit

fukwitit

...you're welcome man but like i said, taking them this late means your cuts might not take, i hope you took several, and then your only recourse will be to do an actual revegg and while most of my plant's do indeed revegg, some do not.

so in the future i'd strongly recommend you either have a mother or rooted clone BEFORE you flip or you take multiple cuts no later than 2 weeks into flower, it's always better to take all the necessary steps to preserve your gene pool and when you wait past 2 weeks that's what you're doing, risking losing this particular puddle in your gene pool.

peace, bozo
it fn rooted lol ..i got roots on both ill post pics

Top Bottom