Wilma System

• Thread starter KMProp
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

KMProp

has anyone here used or using this if so what are your opinions?

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

Its a hydroponic dripper system, drain to waste, I'm just wondering if its worth buying :)

I'm unable to attend my grow enough to water feed and would also like the benefits of hydro :p
Probably easy and cheap to build @Wisher619 Runs same type system. Maybe he can help.

K

KMProp

do you not think the 6.5L tubs would be too small? you can buy a bigger version called Wilma Big 8 with 11L or 18L pots..

Wisher619

Wisher619

it looks good but how can that run a DTW....I am trying to figure that one as it just looks like a recirculation
I have a homemade DTW which was extremely cheap to make.....1 garbage can
1 25gal tote
2 36"x12" rockwool slab troughs
a pump and a pvc frame....everything under 100.00usd
oh yeah and drip line timer hose
but that seems like a cool system....recirc would be fine to as many people use that

K

KMProp

it looks good but how can that run a DTW....I am trying to figure that one as it just looks like a recirculation
I have a homemade DTW which was extremely cheap to make.....1 garbage can
1 25gal tote
2 36"x12" rockwool slab troughs
a pump and a pvc frame....everything under 100.00usd
oh yeah and drip line timer hose
but that seems like a cool system....recirc would be fine to as many people use that

My bad, I was reading up on 2 different systems and got them both mixed up lol. The Wilma System is a recirculating system. Are there any pros and cons with a recirculating system?

Your dropper system sounds quite neat actually!

If anyone has used or using it can you please give me some info

M

Mrmeaner

Current running a 4 pot Wilma with clay pebbles in 11 litre pots. Really liking it, pretty low maintenance and getting good results so far.

I run it on a 15 min timer once an hour during lights on and 30 mins just before lights on.

I am a total novice and this is my first grow though I did a lot of research first.

Only slight negative is keeping the EC right in the reservoir once they start drinking a lot as you will need to keep topping the water/nutes up every few days.

K

KMProp

Current running a 4 pot Wilma with clay pebbles in 11 litre pots. Really liking it, pretty low maintenance and getting good results so far.

I run it on a 15 min timer once an hour during lights on and 30 mins just before lights on.

I am a total novice and this is my first grow though I did a lot of research first.

Only slight negative is keeping the EC right in the reservoir once they start drinking a lot as you will need to keep topping the water/nutes up every few days.

thanks for the reply.

so your running the 'Wilma Big 4 pot system'? i was just unsure about the size of system to buy as i was intending on doing a full cycle with it. after some more research and asking around, the standard 6L size is more of a Veg cycle rather than a full veg and flower.

I've just ordered one today but also just made my own dripper system too and that seems to be running fantastic! thanks to @Wisher619 i made a simple pump to drip manifold and sat my pots onto trays. still not as simple as a recirculating system. other than having to empty the run off in the trays it seems to be working lovely!

K

KMProp

and I've sat the pump in a 150L bin so I've not much to worry about mixing my feed up every day either lol

K

KMProp

oh and good luck on your first grow!:D

M

Mrmeaner

Yes the Wilma big 4 as i am running clone to harvest in the same pot. They seem very happy and are about 30% bigger than clones from same mother in a friends soil grow.

They are at 3 weeks veg from rooted clone

IMG 20160618 174352
Last edited:
Wisher619

Wisher619

thanks for the reply.

so your running the 'Wilma Big 4 pot system'? i was just unsure about the size of system to buy as i was intending on doing a full cycle with it. after some more research and asking around, the standard 6L size is more of a Veg cycle rather than a full veg and flower.

I've just ordered one today but also just made my own dripper system too and that seems to be running fantastic! thanks to @Wisher619 i made a simple pump to drip manifold and sat my pots onto trays. still not as simple as a recirculating system. other than having to empty the run off in the trays it seems to be working lovely!
I use coco in my grows so I dont get to much runoff maybe between 5-10%
I use dutch leach trays set above a 25 gal tote for drain suspended on a pvc frame

Wisher619

Wisher619

ec for clones is 1.0
beginning flower 1.3-1.5
full flower 1.5-1.8
I run my timer
clone- beginning flower:feed at lights on then 4 hour mark
full flower: lights on, 4 hour, 8 hour

K

KMProp

ec for clones is 1.0
beginning flower 1.3-1.5
full flower 1.5-1.8
I run my timer
clone- beginning flower:feed at lights on then 4 hour mark
full flower: lights on, 4 hour, 8 hour

even at the clone stage was you still feeding to runoff?

Wisher619

Wisher619

yes
with coco this is what happens
first.....@ 100% saturation of coco is holds aproximately 25-30% 02/oxygen
so you can never drown plants in coco
next...coco....do to its unusual properties...has a very unique catation exchange...it holds onto certain elements in exchange for others....
as the coco dries...it begins to very rapidly release these elements...causing a spike in ec....
to combat this....we allow the coco to not become over 50% dry before re-saturating to 100%
runoff is essential to constantly push the exhausted salts out of the media....... Preventing buildup which will ultimately result in failure if not prevented
if you are used to soil....the finger test to see if the media is dry will not work....as coco might feel moist to us but if you put it on a scale it may very well be @ 60-70% dry....once you actually feel the coco dry the plants may already be dead
the schedule outlined is very basic and can be manipulated in any manner you see fit (more or less feeding and what ever ec you like)
you could essentially use coco the same as say clay pellepts where you constantly ran nutrients through it....and it would work just fine as many people use coco in flood and drain setups with no problems
it, however, works optimal with wet and dry cycles...allows for explosive root growth

but yes
even in clone stage....as long as the clones are rooted

K

KMProp

:D
yes
with coco this is what happens
first.....@ 100% saturation of coco is holds aproximately 25-30% 02/oxygen
so you can never drown plants in coco
next...coco....do to its unusual properties...has a very unique catation exchange...it holds onto certain elements in exchange for others....
as the coco dries...it begins to very rapidly release these elements...causing a spike in ec....
to combat this....we allow the coco to not become over 50% dry before re-saturating to 100%
runoff is essential to constantly push the exhausted salts out of the media....... Preventing buildup which will ultimately result in failure if not prevented
if you are used to soil....the finger test to see if the media is dry will not work....as coco might feel moist to us but if you put it on a scale it may very well be @ 60-70% dry....once you actually feel the coco dry the plants may already be dead
the schedule outlined is very basic and can be manipulated in any manner you see fit (more or less feeding and what ever ec you like)
you could essentially use coco the same as say clay pellepts where you constantly ran nutrients through it....and it would work just fine as many people use coco in flood and drain setups with no problems
it, however, works optimal with wet and dry cycles...allows for explosive root growth
View attachment 609054
but yes
even in clone stage....as long as the clones are rooted

i very much appreciate your input, very clear and i shall take it into account!:D

Top Bottom