• Thread starter DoobyScoo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

DoobyScoo

May be fungus gnats but might be RA.
Caught one, gotta get a scope.

If the 'rumored' winged RA on Spicymag?
Does anyone know of good Organic methods of control.
I am thinking a strong soil food web, ofcourse will help with any pupae/larvae, but open to all suggestions.

Note: As long as suggestions don't involve wine bottles and orifices.

Dorje

Dorje

Nematodes will eat both RA and fungus gnat eggs/larvae.

Aphids only produce flyers when the population gets large...

S

SoCoMMJ

Yep, if they are flying out and RA, then the pot is overrun with root aphids. Dig a bit down to view the top roots and see if you see some crawlers. If they are root aphids, the non flyers will be greenish with two obvious tail pipes out the rear [under a scope].

In general fungus gnat flyers will fly lower and are long and skinny like mosquitos, where RA flyers will go up to the lights and are larger bodied.

If you have RA, don't fuck around. They are worse than the borg.

You can try nematodes, but if you already have RA flyers you probably don't have time to establish a nematode colony. Some results have been had with Azamax [ORMI listed neem concentrate] as a soil soak, or as a last resort you will have to pitch the plants or use a systemic nasty such as Merit.

Something like Merit should not be used at any stage in flower. I believe it's a 30 day systemic.

There is a fairly long discussion on IcMag if you ever go there.

Good Luck if that is what you have...I know a grower in town here that went from noticing a few flyers to filling the lights with thousands within a week.

Dr. Evil

Dr. Evil

I just fought the fuckers and i won!
Indeed they do get wings and migrate looking for another food source...if you do have them, save yourself a headache and go get some bayer tree and shrub from a store and phuck those aphids up. I believe i was at about 15ml per gallon...one good soak and you are done...its systemic so you may not want to do it after the 2nd or so week in flower...perfect if tthe plants are in veg. BE PROACTIVE...cuz they spread with the quickness!!!
not the end of the world and dont throw plants away...just treat them now.

I

IVIars

There is a good thread in the Cannabis Infirmary. When I first saw them i thought i had a bunch of ticks.

Botanigard and Liquid Pyrithrins have been known to work. And use an Insecticidal soap with whatever you do

S

SoCoMMJ

I only suggested pitching because he seemed interested in organic remedy. That would be hard to come by in if it is truly RA.

And SD, it's easier to identify if you catch a crawler than a flyer.

C

ClearWater

Indeed they do get wings and migrate looking for another food source...if you do have them, save yourself a headache and go get some bayer tree and shrub from a store and phuck those aphids up. I believe i was at about 15ml per gallon...one good soak and you are done...its systemic so you may not want to do it after the 2nd or so week in flower...perfect if tthe plants are in veg. BE PROACTIVE...cuz they spread with the quickness!!!

I concur, the most effective way of doing battle IMO.

Dorje

Dorje

IMID (in Bayer Tree and Shrub) is a systemic and is persistent for months, according to the label. Luckily I haven't had to deal with RA, but have had regular leaf aphids, which are easy to deal with. I have heard IMID is ok to use in veg, but it's not "organic"...

H

hemployed

+1 Don't fuck around, nuke em and move on.

C

canaguy27

X3 for the bayer product. It is nicotine based. I wonder if you could soak tobacco and drench it with the mix? The bayer product murdered my RAs 100%. used it in veg.

Bud Spleefman

Bud Spleefman

Premium Member
Supporter
I've been kicking these fuckers in the ass for a few years now, this is the suff I use ...

4.5 ml per 10 gallons, no ferts in this, unlike the Bayer Tree and Shrub, which has some NPK..... I used only 5 ml per gallon of the Bayer, BTW, and had good results. 15 ml is a lot, the label says 10ml.....
Anyway, the Merit is only 40 dollars for a lifetime supply, and once you have them, you always need to be treating for them. I treat every plant, while in veg, every time... the shit works through the whole bloom cycle.
And yes, worse than the Borg. The worst pest, ever, if you ask me... do not fuck around, either treat for it, immediately, or chuck the plants. They won't make it, without....

D

DoobyScoo

Thanks for all the feedback. +1 everybody.

Okay,
So my question is:
Week 1 flower.
If relatively early (not as early as I like, but early enough, had 'em before, wk 2-3)? Control flyers, apply organic cns (neem/aza), re-introduce bb/myco and try to get the soil food web to control the reproduction of the pests at the pupae/larval stage.
Had them before, in Hydroton E&F, systemic Aza worked great. Took out the whole life cycle.
They fly vigorously and straight into the lights...Makes me think RA, from what others guessed.
Sorry I don't have a macro, or I could show you my prisoner.

S

swisscheese

I'd like to see a winged root aphid on here I've been wondering if I myself am a victim of RA's and I for sure have 2 types of winged gnats flying around it seems one little and one's big and fat.

M

Mr Dank

never ever accept a rooted clone. if you insist on getting new genetics, make sure to only get unrooted snips

Dr. Evil

Dr. Evil

never ever accept a rooted clone. if you insist on getting new genetics, make sure to only get unrooted snips

the only problem is they do lay eggs on stems and leaves as well....you would still need to dunk the clone to be 100% sure.

Bud Spleefman

Bud Spleefman

Premium Member
Supporter
The live on the roots of Pine and Spruce trees, we are surrounded by the little bastards!

Google "Coniferous Root Aphids"

cardrack111

cardrack111

I had them very bad for 3 runs in my rdwc. They had developed resistance to imid very quickly. I tried it all..imid, triazicide, sns203,...with no success. the only thing that wiped them out was running Evergreen through my system in conjunction with a heavy doktor doom bombing.

W

waywardson

This would be one of the few things I think you really do have to nuke to get rid of...bayer tree and shrub or Merit 75...same active ingredient, just different concentrations.

However...once you do kill them I find SiO2 to be great prevention. Start clean and maintain about 100 ppm of SiO2 and root aphids and/or fungus gnats just flat do not show up.

I have also heard amending your media with neem seed and crustacean meal at about 3/4 cup per cubic foot also works as a great preventative measure...for either "soil" or coco.

Root aphids may be the worst pest I have ever seen. They will fuck with your yields at a level that gets into your pocket.

I

IVIars

They sell Imid at garden stores that come without the nutrients, just 1.47% Imid (same as Bayer) for the same price

Top Bottom