winterizing question: what happens to any remaining butane when mixed with ethanol?

• Thread starter endora
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
E

endora

Just wondering, does it all evaporate off? Or does it get bound up in some way?

I do the standard blast into pyrex, then use a 140 degree water bath to purge. But I wonder: does it ALL need to come out during the pyrex purge, or can I get it most of the way purged and then let the remaining butane evaporate off in the ethanol used to winterize?

I filter the ethanol/bho after 24-48 hours in the freezer, then evaporate off the ethanol. Seems like the butane would be long gone. I've read lots of "I think so" comments on the web, but nothing very definitive. Anyone know for sure?

Thanks for the help, guys!

shawnskush

shawnskush

It still needs to be purged after winterizing. Invest in a harbor freight vac pump and a VAC-IT pro chamber you will be amazed with your results. If it SIZZLES it ain't purged

E

endora

Thanks for the input. So, the butane doesn't evaporate in the ethanol? I'm not sure I understand why that would be. Are you saying that it DOES somehow get bound up in the ethanol?

I get purging. Got that part down. I've read all about the vacuum pump set-ups and water-bath purging. My quality is excellent. I'm more specifically looking for info on exactly how butane reacts in ethanol...

Graywolf

Graywolf

The butane isn't bound up and exits the ethanol as soon as it can find a way out out. It boils at around 31.5F, so it's molecules are ricocheting around inside the 173F boiling point Ethanol pool, and when they hit the surface, instead of one of the sides or bottom, they are gone.

Top Bottom