Wire size...

• Thread starter Asbestos4u
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Asbestos4u

Asbestos4u

Ok farmers, so I am getting ready to buy some more wire for a sub panle job. I was told by someone that I need to go with #1 wire for the 2 phaze wires and I can step down to # 6 wire for BOTH the Ground and the Nutural.

I know I can step down for the ground wire. It this true about the Nutural wire....

I know this is a stupid question but for an extra two hundred. I am willing to ask.

So, how about that Nutural wire? Can it be down sized to the same size as the ground wire?

Thanks

hiboy

hiboy

It is not normal to step down a neutral in case one day you need a larger 120v load.
But knowing that you are planning to run all of your lights on 240v which wont need the neutral, and your 120v loads will be pumps, fans, etc. you will be ok. How long is the wire run. What size sub panel are you installing. @ #1 you can go a 100 amp sub panel.
h

Asbestos4u

Asbestos4u

The only thing that will be running off of the sub panle will be lights running at 240.
All the other stuff that runs off of 120 will be running off the rest or the house. The sub panle will be a cap mlc 24 dx light controler. With about 120 feet from the main panle to the mlc panle.

hiboy

hiboy

Make your sub panel a 240v load center. No need to run the neutral if theres no use for it, though i would install it for future unplanned needs
h

Top Bottom