Wiring a C.A.P MLC 4x using 120v

• Thread starter ColoraDro
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

ColoraDro

I have a mlc 4x and need to wire it using 120v instead of 240v I will be running 4 600watt gigis and each will be pulling 5.7amps per ballast and so my question is will I be safe with the 30amp box and a 30amp breaker?

Also with this setup I will be using 10/2 wire

sedate

sedate

Yes. That will suffice.

If you are adding a breaker and wire however, not running 240v is sort of stupid..

Do you need help with the wiring?

C

ColoraDro

well here is the situation.... my house only has 120 running to it because the Stove heater and water heater are all gas aswell as the Dryer hookup so instead of running the other 120 to make the 240 i went with option B and instead of using the 1k magnetic ballast i am going to use 600watt digitals... thing is its a rental and the space i have for now isnt worth putting all that money to upgrade the panel and such....

I have a picture of how i have it wired as of now but cant get the ballasts to fire up the lights and i have checked that all ballasts work and so i cant figure it out....

here are the photos!

here is my panel and how i have it wired Breaker is 30amp
Panel

Here is how i have it wired to the Mlc 4x box
Mlc4x

This has a been a pain in my ass more then any other grow i have ever done smh any help is greatly apreciated!!!

Dro

C

calbunn

well here is the situation.... my house only has 120 running to it because the Stove heater and water heater are all gas aswell as the Dryer hookup so instead of running the other 120 to make the 240 i went with option B and instead of using the 1k magnetic ballast i am going to use 600watt digitals... thing is its a rental and the space i have for now isnt worth putting all that money to upgrade the panel and such....

I have a picture of how i have it wired as of now but cant get the ballasts to fire up the lights and i have checked that all ballasts work and so i cant figure it out....

here are the photos!

here is my panel and how i have it wired Breaker is 30amp
View attachment 182125

Here is how i have it wired to the Mlc 4x box
View attachment 182126

This has a been a pain in my ass more then any other grow i have ever done smh any help is greatly apreciated!!!

Dro
I'd be concerned about what's up line of this little panel. What size is that breaker? For only 120v @ the panel the little bit of copper I see sticking into the bussing lug and jumpers over to the other lug at the top of the panel looks to be a no 10 wire and only 75d rated insulation so there is not much current carrying capacity coming into that subpanel.

The white wire is connected on this breaker is not seeing a neutral. It's seeing the jumpered 110V. If you need 110 off that new ckt you need to move the white over to the neutral/ground bar. Normally you'll see a separate ground and neutral bar but in older systems and from what I can see here they are one in the same. Once done the other pole on that new breaker you put in will be empty. Just the black wire will remain connected on that 2pole 30 you put in.

Watch for voltage drop when all this + you normal house loads come on line. Digital ballasts don't tolerate low voltage. They run hot and you can burn up a board. Hope that helps.

Top Bottom