wiring ? cap mlc

• Thread starter Obsoul33t
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
O

Obsoul33t

I have a cap mlc that uses 220 my question is I have #4 awg with two hots , neutral and bare ground wire . The mlc light controller does not have a spot to hook the bare ground wire , my sub panel has a ground bar .

can the bare ground wire go to the neutral bus on the mlc ? Or should i not use the ground wire at the panel or the mlc ...

cheers

L

Lost

It goes on the nut on the bottom right. I think there is a green wire coming out of it (the nut).

Look for the directions, it shows it there..

Dr.stickerdick

Dr.stickerdick

Neutral and ground are NOT the same except at your first pannel in home. After that point they should never touch. That is esspecially true of sub pannels. Bad bad mistake. Show me pic of it or the schematic diagram, might be able to clairify. Peace

E

easypleasie

I used the two hots (red and black) and one bare ground wire in my mlc. Didn't hook up the white neutral wire. I don't think you're suppose to use it. I recall reading that caused a lot of problems with digital ballasts blowing up.

L

Lost

I used the two hots (red and black) and one bare ground wire in my mlc. Didn't hook up the white neutral wire. I don't think you're suppose to use it. I recall reading that caused a lot of problems with digital ballasts blowing up.

I wired mine the same..

PorchMonkey4Life

PorchMonkey4Life

2 hots go in to the relay...The ground and neutral go into the green Ground block together..........Its also in there instructions when you buy it new !!

and i have a cap 8 mlc.....stole me oven range:sun2:

E

easypleasie

Nowhere in my instructions did it tell me to put the neutral and ground wire together. Electricity is no joke to be second guessing at folks.

What happened to our electrical mods here?

Picture 1
E

easypleasie

Here's a page from Lumatek's manual about the neutral wire warning for their ballasts. I use Lumateks but don't know if this applies to all ballasts, though. Proceed with caution!

Picture 2
L

Lost

I only Used the ground wire, and the 2 hots. WTF happens when an appliance fucks up and is using the ground??? Now you have an hot system right?

E

easypleasie

Not sure, bro. This is one area I can't help much on as i'm not qualified. Bad advice can kill people and/or burn houses down. I know the basics and enough to keep myself from getting fried but i'm not comfortable trying to help others. I'll leave that up to folks that know what they're talking about. It's safer that way :)

PorchMonkey4Life

PorchMonkey4Life

Yeah they changed there directions now as everyone is moving to digiz and see there new instruction point that way !!! the old instructions were for i guess mags ballast and it was to connect the neutral and Ground on the ground block.......:character0180:

I still use mags:character0004:

Dr.stickerdick

Dr.stickerdick

Lost, if system f's up, the fault current returns via the ground(bonding) wire to source pannel to allow enough current to flow to trip the breakers (in less than a second). The difference between ground and neutral is that a neutral is a current carring conductor , the ground is not. That is why you can't land them at the same place , in a sub pannel or a devise. You can check your sub pannel to see if the neutral and ground are bonded, they should not be, this is very very common for DIY to have done

Latest posts

Top Bottom