• Start date
  • Tagged users None
jimih

jimih

Premium Member
Supporter
Jacki Rickert Medical Marijuana Act coming soon!:anim_19:
Sunday, April 26, 2009
A draft of the 2009-2010 session Jacki Rickert Medical Marijuana Act has been completed and is awaiting final approval, according to the office of Rep. Mark Pocan (D-Madison), who will again be the principal sponsor in the State Assembly. A better timeline for the bill's introduction should be available soon.

The updated Jacki Rickert MMJ Act is heavily based on the law that recently took effect in Michigan legalizing medical cannabis. The law was passed by a 63% margin by Michigan voters in Nov. 2008 and gained a majority in every Michigan county. Polling has found over 80% support for medical cannabis in Wisconsin, and the bill has the support of state healthcare organizations including the WI Nurses Association.

While awaiting the draft and the introduction of the bill, supporters should contact not only their State Assembly representative and State Senator, but also the office of Gov. Doyle and ask they support the Jacki Rickert Medical Marijuana Act when it is introduced.

Who Are My Legislators?
http://www.legis.state.wi.us/w3asp/waml/waml.aspx

Legislative Hotline:
* In Madison: 266-9960
* Toll-free: 1-800-362-9472

S

StonedOwl

Ha, legalization is spreading! :D Like a virus, a glorious and wonderful virus. Its a good time to be alive I think.

A

astartes

Best news I've heard in a good while! Thanks so much for posting that up!

a.

S

sweetleaf

Doyle is to big of a douche bag to let it go all the way, although it is promising this year. I lost count how many times Wisconsin failed to pass.

jimih

jimih

Premium Member
Supporter
Thanks for replying everyone.Hopefully with the WI Nurses Association, lots of leters,and phone calls to your Reps. we can make a difference. Its here for the takeing, we just all have to pull together and let em know how we stand on MMJ.....Jimi

jimih

jimih

Premium Member
Supporter
Victory for Minnesota!..the Senate voted 35-29 in favor of Minnesota's medical marijuana bill, which would protect seriously ill patients from arrest for using their doctor-recommended medicine....More great news,hope wisconsin will follow..please take some time to write,or call your legislators..we can win this...Jimi

A

astartes

Still has to get past Pawlenty though, which is akin to hell freezing over...

a.

jimih

jimih

Premium Member
Supporter
MEDICAL MARIJUANA DEBATE TO SPARK UP SOON

Supporters, detractors expect another fight over potential bill

WAUKESHA - An already controversial session of the state Legislature is about to spark another big fight.

Advocates for legalizing medical marijuana in Wisconsin are gearing up to get a bill passed in the Legislature that would open up the drug to those fighting severe diseases.

Gary Storck, spokesman for the group Is My Medicine Legal Yet? said they expect the bill to be introduced within the next six weeks and given the make up of the current ruling bodies, gives it a good chance of passing.

"We had a poll done in 2002 and the results found that over 80 percent of people statewide supported it," said Storck. "If the representatives and senators truly represent the people, they'll support this one thing that has been introduced into every session since 1997."

State Rep. Leah Vukmir, R-Wauwatosa, who has also worked as a registered nurse, has been a vocal opponent of the medical marijuana bill, saying it would only say it's OK for people to break the law.

"This is nothing more than a back door attempt to try and legalize marijuana," she said, "I took an oath of office to uphold the laws of the land and if I agreed to a bill like that, I'd be asking people to break the law because marijuana isn't a legal substance."

Medical marijuana is currently legal in 13 states and it has been gaining traction in the Great Lakes region.

In November, Michigan voters approved a medical marijuana bill making it legal there. This week the Illinois Senate also approved a similar bill and Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty vetoed a bill legalizing it there, gearing up for a fight with the Legislature.

Storck said the Wisconsin bill would be similar to the Michigan bill in that it would allow for people with severe debilitating diseases to possess and grow a small amount of marijuana for medical purposes.

One difference, he said, was that the Wisconsin law may also exempt veterans suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder.

Although supporters say there are an untold number of medicinal benefits to marijuana medication, Vukmir disagrees with that argument, saying other means of medication are available to patients now that can give the same effects of the drug.

The Freeman was unable to locate an area doctor willing to speak on record about claims made by either side of the debate by press time.

Past Wisconsin bills have gotten support from state Democrats, including Gov. Jim Doyle.

The state's first medical marijuana bill was signed by Republican Gov. Lee Sherman Dreyfus in 1982, which opened the door for more medical marijuana research.

E-mail: [email protected]

This story appeared in The Waukesha Freeman on May 30, 2009.

D

DevilsAmongUs

"I took an oath of office to uphold the laws of the land and if I agreed to a bill like that, I'd be asking people to break the law because marijuana isn't a legal substance."

Thought it was the LEO's job and the Judicial branches job to uphold the laws of the land, and the legislative's branch to vote on new laws. She should have payed more attention in Civic's class

Good read, we can only hope things work out in our movements favor this time around in Wisconsin.

jimih

jimih

Premium Member
Supporter
Thanks for stoping buy DevilsAmongus. Yeah she said a few things about MMJ i didnt care for, but on the positive side Gov,Jim Doyle was behind M.M.J..in the past.. To anyone reading this..This bill will be comeing soon, we need are voices heard...PLEASE contact your Reps or Gov Doyle. Theres a link on pg 1...Lets make a differance... Jimi

jimih

jimih

Premium Member
Supporter
2009-2010 --Wisconsin-- Jacki Rickert Medical Marijuana Act

Thursday, July 16, 2009
The Jacki Rickert Medical Marijuana Act will be rolled out about mid-September, per the latest update from the office of WI State Rep. Mark Pocan (D-Madison), the bill's lead sponsor. State legislators are now on summer break until their next floor period in September.

This short delay gives supporters more time to contact their State Assembly Representative and State Senator and ask that they sponsor the bill and also educate them on the issue, if needed. Medical users should share how legal access would benefit them with legislators and their staff.

A rally for the Jacki Rickert Medical Marijuana Act will be held in Madison at the Wisconsin State Capitol on Sunday, October 4, 2009 as part of The 39th Annual Great Midwest Marijuana Harvest Festival, following the traditional Harvest Fest parade up State St. and around Capitol Square to the Capitol's State St. steps. The rally will feature speeches by Jacki Rickert, Gary Storck, Jim Miller, Mary Powers, NORML Daily Audio Stash's Russ Belville and others TBA. Please contact your State Senator and State Representative and plan on attending the rally to show your support for legal access to medical cannabis in Wisconsin!

While awaiting the draft and the introduction of the bill, supporters should contact not only their State Assembly representative and State Senator, but also the office of Gov. Doyle and ask they support the Jacki Rickert Medical Marijuana Act when it is introduced.

jimih

jimih

Premium Member
Supporter
Call/write/lobby your state legislators to support the Jacki Rickert MMJ Act http://bit.ly/WAML Next Lobby Day Capitol 9/9 11am Rotunda.

C

CoughingMan

My dad lives in wisconsin, I live in Cali.

Most of the reason I havnt moved out there is because of the MMJ laws.

This will be a good thing if it makes it!

jimih

jimih

Premium Member
Supporter
Thanks for dropping in coughingman..I hope it may get passed before Gov. Doyle leaves office.I ask everyone to send a comment or letter to the link in my last post. Our voices must be heard...Jimi

jimih

jimih

Premium Member
Supporter
Next lobby day Wed Sept. 16 at 11:00 am in the WI State Capitol rotunda. Help pass the Jacki Rickert MMJ Act!.....Jimi

jimih

jimih

Premium Member
Supporter
Good News

Per the office of chief bill sponsor Rep. Mark Pocan (D-Madison), the
Jacki Rickert Medical Marijuana Act is still at the bill drafters. These
delays are often inexplicable, and the bill is expected literally any
day.

Our recent lobby visits to the Capitol have found growing interest in
the bill from lawmakers and their offices. We will let people know as
soon as the draft becomes publicly available.

In the meantime, please continue to call your state Assembly Rep and
State Senator and to talk to friends, family, co-workers, health care
professionals, anyone, and ask them to do the same.

It's time for Medical Cannabis in Wisconsin, but we all must become
activists in our communities to make this a reality.

Toll-free Legislative Hotline: 800-362-9472 (M-F 8a-4:30p) - Who Are My
Legislators? http://www.legis.state.wi.us/w3asp/waml/waml.aspx

Gary Storck
IMMLY
WI NORML

---------------------

jimih

jimih

Premium Member
Supporter
Breaking news: The Jacki Rickert MMJ Act will have a State Senate lead sponsor and should be out for cosponsors by Friday!

jimih

jimih

Premium Member
Supporter
Wisconsin Legislature Considers Medical Marijuana Reform
Ask your elected officials to support the Jacki Rickert Medical Marijuana Act
NORML is pleased to announce that that the Jacki Rickert Medical Marijuana Act is ready to be circulated among the legislature for cosponsors.
Versions of this act will be introduced imminently in both the Senate and the Assembly. Passage of this act will ensure that qualified patients shall no longer be sanctioned for their medicinal use of marijuana.
Please take time today to contact your state representatives and ask them to join on as a co-sponsor to the Jacki Rickert Medical Marijuana Act.
For your convenience, a pre-written letter will be e-mailed to your state representative when you go here:

Thank you for supporting NORML's marijuana law reform efforts in Wisconsin. For more information regarding this effort, please contact Madison NORML.
Sincerely,
The NORML Team

Top Bottom