Wonky leaves, PH? Deficiency? Environment? Please help!

• Thread starter Ganjaface
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ganjaface

Ganjaface

Lights: HLG 550v2
Soil: Promix hp.
Nutrients: Mills

A few weeks ago my leaves started dying off, I thought it was a pH imbalance or nutrient lockout. I flushed my plants at 6.0 pH.
Things got way worse.

I then thought it might be a macronutrient deficiency, so I fed heavy, things seemed to be getting better, than again took a turn for the worse.

I am now day 15 in flower and my leaves are all dying.

My runoff pH last watering was 6.0
My runoff ppm was 1300

My room is about 82°F during the day,
And about 72° F at night.
I keep the c02 at around 1300 ppm during the day.

This has never happened to me and this is my fifth cycle. I am loosing my plants and can't seem to figure out why. Very frusterating.
I would love some feedback or ideas from those more knowledgeable and experienced than myself.
Thank you.

Wonky leaves ph deficiency environment please help
GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Lights: HLG 550v2
Soil: Promix hp.
Nutrients: Mills

A few weeks ago my leaves started dying off, I thought it was a pH imbalance or nutrient lockout. I flushed my plants at 6.0 pH.
Things got way worse.

I then thought it might be a macronutrient deficiency, so I fed heavy, things seemed to be getting better, than again took a turn for the worse.

I am now day 15 in flower and my leaves are all dying.

My runoff pH last watering was 6.0
My runoff ppm was 1300

My room is about 82°F during the day,
And about 72° F at night.
I keep the c02 at around 1300 ppm during the day.

This has never happened to me and this is my fifth cycle. I am loosing my plants and can't seem to figure out why. Very frusterating.
I would love some feedback or ideas from those more knowledgeable and experienced than myself.
Thank you.
overwatered..
using promix? no need to ph etc.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Looks like a lockout and nutrient buildup. Flush 3x pot volume then light feed like 300-400ppm 1x pot volume.

Reduce your feed to 400-500ppm.

Ganjaface

Ganjaface

Thanks for the input guys, I could definitely see the guy on the highway analogy, I believe they were starved then fed, then I don't know what's happening now. Another thing I thought of was possible heat stress? I backed my lights off a bit just in case.

Also one doesnt need to pH with Promix hp?? I've never heard this before. I know it has the d.lime to balance but I though we still had to pH water/feed?

I will try what was recommended with a flush and then starting back with a slow feed. Thank you

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Thanks for the input guys, I could definitely see the guy on the highway analogy, I believe they were starved then fed, then I don't know what's happening now. Another thing I thought of was possible heat stress? I backed my lights off a bit just in case.

Also one doesnt need to pH with Promix hp?? I've never heard this before. I know it has the d.lime to balance but I though we still had to pH water/feed?

I will try what was recommended with a flush and then starting back with a slow feed. Thank you
ProMix is an organic soil. You are feeding it non-organics. That kinda defeats the purpose of getting quality soil in the first place.
A correctly balanced organic system adjusts it's own pH. we just check it weekly to head of any problems.
And organics never flush. but we might soak.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

ProMix is an organic soil. You are feeding it non-organics. That kinda defeats the purpose of getting quality soil in the first place.
A correctly balanced organic system adjusts it's own pH. we just check it weekly to head of any problems.
And organics never flush. but we might soak.
Promix is peat moss. Not organic soil but it is prebiffered so no need to PH usually. Mills is not an organic nutrient. So imo flush is absolutely needed here

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Promix is peat moss. Not organic soil but it is prebiffered so no need to PH usually.
Gotcha. I have'nt used it, but that's what I had heard about it. My mistake.
We use FF OF because all it needs is some recharge and it's off the organic races!

Ganjaface

Ganjaface

Gotcha. I have'nt used it, but that's what I had heard about it. My mistake.
We use FF OF because all it needs is some recharge and it's off the organic races!
What do you use to "recharge" ocean forest blend ? I would like to try an organic run soon. I've read the nutrients present in OF only last 3 weeks. You use general organics and just feed according to chart?

Also I'll update this thread when I solve the problem for anyone else who experiences this in the future. Going to water heavy today, and two days from now I'll give a light feed.

jguit

jguit

Supporter
You definitely do not have to pH your water when using ProMix but you should get a soil pH pen to periodically check the pH of the ProMix itself. Depending on the nutrients and water source you use, the pH of ProMix will change over time. In my situation, since i use water with low alkalinity and a potentially acidic fertilizer, the pH of the Promix tends to dip below 5.5 later in flowering (it starts around 6.5 and slowly drops over time). I counteract this by using a potentially basic fertilzer and after a few feedings, it bring the mediums pH back in line. ProMix is almost foolproof once you get your routine dialed in. With a proper water source and the right fertilizer you may not have to do anything. It's just that my tap water absolutely sucks.

Last edited:
Ganjaface

Ganjaface

Okay guys what do you make of this:

Since initial post and feedback
I backed my lights off about 3 more inches (currently sitting 22 inches from canopy)

Then I flushed my pots with water and dripclean, and finished with a light dose of week 3 nutrients.
My final runoff came out to 5.8-6.0 pH at around 1000 ppm.

When I use a soil pH meter the top of my soil is reading close to 7.5, and when I push the meter all the way to the bottom it reads 6.0 (check included pictures. First picture probe is 3 inches deep, second picture probe is near the bottom of the pot) so my soil is completely different pH depending on the depth of the probe.

Now after doing all this my plants look even worse. It's crazy the leaves are browning and falling off like a tree in fall time. This is my first time having a serious issue with a cycle that I can not seem to solve after many weeks. From my knowledge I've done nothing different from my previous runs. Feeling stumped here

PXL 20210630 193643643MP
PXL 20210630 193713258MP
PXL 20210630 194547277MP
PXL 20210630 194611408MP
PXL 20210630 194617857MP
PXL 20210630 194553753MP
Noobstar

Noobstar

What do you use to "recharge" ocean forest blend ? I would like to try an organic run soon. I've read the nutrients present in OF only last 3 weeks. You use general organics and just feed according to chart?

Also I'll update this thread when I solve the problem for anyone else who experiences this in the future. Going to water heavy today, and two days from now I'll give a light feed.
Not 100% but pretty sure the recharge comfortably numb was talking about is this:
9DE7877B FF55 415C 8223 A43B5B787491

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

All the old damage will get worse and die that's normal. You flushed and the go back to feeding 1000ppm? The flush was to fix the overfeeding to begin with. Light is still to close imo because of the plant health.

Have you looked for mites?

Back that light off... not 3" but back it off to like 30" and let then recover... when plants aren't healthy and you keep pounding em with light the only thing you gonna do is make it worse.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Misread the ppm feed. But look at your leaves they are ALL damaged... damaged leave do not get better. Seeing all sorts of light stress on them and that means they are only going to get worse unless something is done.

I dont mean to be harsh but your yield and quality are going to suffer greatly no matter what at this point. So honest advice is lower the light intensity and expectations.

This is a classic example of a new grower trying to do to much. To many nutrients to much light etc etc. The most important thing with a new grow is to learn and if you do that it's not a waste.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Not 100% but pretty sure the recharge comfortably numb was talking about is this:
View attachment 1141335
Yep, that is the one.
You have a serious pH problem and your meter is no where near accurate enough to tell you that.
RAISE light 6 inches or DIM it by 25%.
How big is each pot? If it is 5 gallons, then flush 15 gallons of clean water through each one.
DO NOT FEED
Remove all damaged leaves and then lets have some pix please.

Last edited:
ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

You use general organics and just feed according to chart?
We never 'feed' our plants anything that is not already in the soil.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yep, that is the one.
You have a serious pH problem and your meter is no where near accurate enough to tell you that.
RAISE light 6 inches or DIM it by 25%.
How big is each pot? If it is 5 gallons, then flush 15 gallons of clean water through each one.
DO NOT FEED
Remove all damaged leaves and then lets have some pix please.
Imo meter is accurate. Ph in soil changes and you want to go by the numbers in the saturation zone where the most water is. Ph is a measure of h+ ions in water and only dissolved elements will affect it.

growsince79

growsince79

Okay guys what do you make of this:

Since initial post and feedback
I backed my lights off about 3 more inches (currently sitting 22 inches from canopy)

Then I flushed my pots with water and dripclean, and finished with a light dose of week 3 nutrients.
My final runoff came out to 5.8-6.0 pH at around 1000 ppm.

When I use a soil pH meter the top of my soil is reading close to 7.5, and when I push the meter all the way to the bottom it reads 6.0 (check included pictures. First picture probe is 3 inches deep, second picture probe is near the bottom of the pot) so my soil is completely different pH depending on the depth of the probe.

Now after doing all this my plants look even worse. It's crazy the leaves are browning and falling off like a tree in fall time. This is my first time having a serious issue with a cycle that I can not seem to solve after many weeks. From my knowledge I've done nothing different from my previous runs. Feeling stumped here
I have that same meter and the ph part is worthless.

Top Bottom