Working PG/BHO recipe... because it has been long enough

• Thread starter ftwendy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ftwendy

ftwendy

I've been mulling the decision to share this recipe for a while, and finally decided it is time. Life is short, and sick people are suffering. Call me naive for sharing, but this is what feels right...

Below is an excerpt from a conversation I shared with another user regarding my method for creating a usable tincture for ecigarettes.

I hope this helps, and I also hope that you share the good results of your effort with somebody who needs them.

LBPULLERS, ftwendy

The method is very simple if you start with some nice pure BHO. Vac purged is best, but budder works too. All that is necessary to make this tincture is heating a small quantity of propylene glycol, melting a bit of your bho into the heated PG, mixing a bit, and injecting the resulting tincture into a blank cartomizer. Attach to your favorite battery, match voltage and ohms, and puff away. Very tasty, imo... very stealthy, very helpful to those who have pain/addiction issues.

I have great success using a combination of 0.7ml PG : 0.3 grams BHO.

I heat the PG/BHO combination to 140f in a small jar on a double boiler placed atop a hot plate, and then I mix, mix, mix with a needle of a syringe...when the wax is completely dissolved in the PG, then the combination/tincture is ready to be injected into a blank cartomizer (melting usually occurs within 2-3 mins for small batches, ie: less than 7ml PG, 3gr BHO).

I fiddled around with a bunch of blank cartomizers before settling on the SMOK Brand Dual Coil, Low Resistance (1.5 ohm) cartridges available at most online places. This cartomizer matches nicely with common 650mah EgoC style batteries, but will work properly with any 3.7v 510 threaded setup. I believe your ProVari automatically senses resistance, but the above figures are what work best if you need to dial it in manually. It should taste like the very essence of your BHO -- if there is any chemical/off flavor, then you must adjust your volatge lower to avoid melting the wicking material (plastic).

1 ml of this tincture is carefully injected into the blank cartomizer after removing the small rubber end cap. When doing this I pay special attention to get the (blunted!) tip of the needle into the second layer of wicking material within the cartomizer. Working my way from the bottom of the cartridge to the top, I inject the tincture as evenly as possible. The more evenly you inject the juice, the more longevity you can expect from each fresh filled cartomizer... I expect 100 full hits from each 1ml filling, but there's more than that in there. Incidentally, I do not re-fill my cartridges, but this a personal decision because I want the most pure flavor possible. Refilling is fine. After 2 or 3 1ml refills the heating elements are fairly gunked up and become unreliable.

If your wax is strong to begin with, then the 0.7ml : 0.3gr ratio will be very satisfying in terms of potency and flavor. Some of my best wax can be thinned much further and still remain efficacious -- your results will vary, but the ratio above is a fine starting point.

That should about cover things. Please feel free to reach out to me with any questions you encounter along the way.

Cheers, ftw

Mr. Molecule

Mr. Molecule

Wow, so you're saying that at the 0.7ml : 0.3gr ratio, the mix stays blended and the BHO does not fall out of solution once it has cooled to room temp (i.e. in the tank)? That's great news if true, but definitely contradicts what many others report. I'm hoping that even 3:1 (PG to BHO) would work. I was going to try 3g of BHO and 9 mL of PG. My objective is a fully blended and pretty dilute, free-flowing mix.

I would also love anyone's comments on what I plan to use for a rig because I don't quite understand yet all the resistance-matching etc. I have an Omicron (3.7v 900mAh Li-ion battery) and I am thinking of getting a Kanger Protank3 to screw onto it (with a 601 to 510 adapter). Zat a good match?

ftwendy

ftwendy

The recipe is a starting point - follow the directions and enjoy, but fiddle with it to match your tastes and desired effect. The omicron battery should work okay if you use the low resistance cartomizers reccomended above with your adapter, but I have no idea how the tincture will work with that battery and the kanger tank. Probably work just fine.

Good luck

Mr. Molecule

Mr. Molecule

Thanks! Could you confirm though, so I have no doubt about this info... you're saying that with that ratio you gave, the BHO definitely does stay dissolved for you in the PG, for days, at room temp as it sits in the tank? Because if it does, then I'll feel pretty sure a 3:1 PG:BHO mix should work well for me.

My aim here is to avoid unnecessary trial and error. I don't want to try at some lower PG ratio just to prove to myself that the BHO won't stay miscible. I'm sure it won't, at something like 2:1. I want to start with an amount that is known to work.

ftwendy

ftwendy

I have noticed some separation in tanks after a week or so - I just shook it vigorously and used it. Worked just fine.

If you're worried about shelf life of product in a retail setting, be ready for a headache. This recipe is best suited for the average patient who wants to make their own medication in small batches.

Mr. Molecule

Mr. Molecule

Thanks again. Nope, no retail here. I'm simply about to try making a voyage from dried herb vaporization to "dilute oil glassomizer vaporization." So yeah I'm thinking of making batches scaled at 3g of BHO. Even at that scale one batch will take me a month to go through probably. It's going to depend on how harsh PG vapor is on my throat, lungs and pipes. I hope not to get any unfortunate surprises, but I'm prepared to learn that it's even more irritating than vaping herb.

What I really hope is that it will turn out to be a much less irritating way to do BHO than the Omicron or any other direct heating method of the undiluted oil is. Cause, you know, all the gadgetry is pretty cool, and I'd hate to not have a reason to play with it.

Oh and another great reason for this way of doing things is how convenient and discreet it is. That's a major reason for my interest, actually. The (herb) vaporizer is nice and all, but not at all travel-friendly. You need AC power, for one thing! Having something that I could actually sneak hits from in an uncrowded movie theater or restaurant would be really nice. Or at least, be able to step outside and quickly do a draw or five...

Last edited:
J

Jalisco Kid

Ok I am so old school and in the country that I have never seen what you are talking about. But I have to ask how do you get a 100 hits from a .3 gram of oil? Maybe I have been smoking to long but I doubt if that amount is 3 or 4 good hits for me. If I could get 100 hits I would not have to make so much,though I mostly cook with it. JK

ftwendy

ftwendy

A very tiny amount of the tincture makes for a nice hit. It's incredible how far you can stretch the .3g because of how much the PG extends it when vaped in one of the ecigs. Magic, and stealthy as a mofo... perfect for travel

S

Skizz

You absolutely must us FOOD GRADE propylene glycol. Do not go cheap on this...

I'm using pharmaceutical grade PG and I've heard that other people who make this bho tincture complain about the taste of PG... are they just using garbage quality glycol or have you noticed any off-taste from the bho with your recipe? Looking forward to making my first batch, just want to try and clarify a few things before I use/possibly waste some BHO.

I suppose I could just grab a new coil head and fill my tank up with my PG alone and it see how it tastes, yeah? A derp, that should tell me.

I should mention I got the PG at a compounding pharmacy (Y)

Last edited:
Top Bottom