Worm Casting/Bat guano ??

• Thread starter Slowitdown
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Slowitdown

Slowitdown

What is best to mix with soil? I am using HP ProMix dirt. I do not intend to add any more perlite since I think the HP already has a good amount in it. Was thinking about adding 20% bat guano or worm casting whats better?

soserthc1

soserthc1

20% guano is way to much imho - especially if a high n-p guano - worm casting wont hurt use as much as you like but i would feel comfortable with 20% of my soil being guano ( shit) alot don't use it at all as some say it can be harmful to you - I could be wrong but 20% again sounds like a insane amount to me ..... just my 2 cents .... i can say i read several books that recommend not using guano at all but i use a 1/4 cup in teas .... maybe someone else might have a different opinion but thats mine....

best of luck
sOsER

ttystikk

ttystikk

Earthworm castings have already been broken down, and provide a lot of nutrition to the plants that is not n-p-k based. Use plenty of this.

Bat guanos are very different from one another, and not all are comparable. Some have been composted, others not. I'd stay around one cup per gallon of soil or less- and then don't add other manure such as chickenshit.

Slowitdown

Slowitdown

Earthworm castings have already been broken down, and provide a lot of nutrition to the plants that is not n-p-k based. Use plenty of this.

Bat guanos are very different from one another, and not all are comparable. Some have been composted, others not. I'd stay around one cup per gallon of soil or less- and then don't add other manure such as chickenshit.

Is there a brand you recommend more then another? Like different companies would have been worm castings then other or is it all the same shit (no pun intended)

ttystikk

ttystikk

Is there a brand you recommend more then another? Like different companies would have been worm castings then other or is it all the same shit (no pun intended)

Since I'm RDWC, I don't do a lot of soil amendments... lack of soil and all.

That said, my babies in coco and my ladies in chowmix (80% hydroton, 20% coco) all love a healthy handful of earthworm castings sprinkled on top of their pots and watered in- Wal-Mart variety, nothing special.

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

Roots Organics brand guanos are pretty good. They have a few varieties, high nitrogen, extra high nitrogen, high phosphorous, and high phosphorous seabird guano. So more than brand you should be focusing on your intent. Are you mixing a flowering soil or a vegging soil? That should be your first concern.

As for the health hazards, I cannot speak to health risks being imparted once the guano is in the soil. However when using the guanos dry they often have a lot of very fine dust and this is awful to inhale. You don't want to inhale any kind of dried dung, its never good for you. So if you are using guano do it in a well ventilated area and with proper protective gear.

urbanfog

urbanfog

In an organic soil setting, sure. That would make a mess in my chowmix.

Man that day I was missing key stuff in reading lol.....dam taistick, yeah I can see where in chow not so good :D

Top Bottom