Worm Farming Aka Vermicomposting!

• Thread starter LittleDabbie
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
tobh

tobh

Supporter
Just wanted to say thanks for this thread! Super informative, getting into worm farming this spring.

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Right on :D Your welcome! I'll try and get some new updates next month, I gotta swap the worms outta there old bin and make up new bedding and such blah blah i'll try and get pics of the whole drawn out process tho should be fun :D

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Few updated pics of the bin, God i love these slimy little fuckers lol * and yes i reallllly need to get in there and vaccum... i make a hell of a mess with the food *

anyway heres about 4 handfuls of worm chow, it will be 90% gone by tomorrow morning, these little fuckers are eating way more then they used to lol i suspect a huge population boom has happened, bunch of babys in there so i guess alot of last years hatched ! yay! Score 1 for creating new life ;)

Anyway bins full of shit i needa take care of it but im already ass deep in castings and its not spring yet so im having a hard time with storage options lol been making tea every week for my house plants but they don't feed much so its taking a while to go thru the stock pile i have already, plus once its been brewed i save the soil for spring garden :D Reuse Recycle!

Ok picture time! * Pulled the tub back a little so i could shoot the inside without pssing them off 2 much.*

DSCN0088
DSCN0089
DSCN0090
DSCN0091

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

im pumped I got a appointment to tour a pro worm farm here this Friday ill share whatever I learn

How did it go? I have toured the Earth Worm farm in Chico ca. That place was pretty cool, large outdoor yard with rows of compost being made.

primordial

primordial

Few updated pics of the bin, God i love these slimy little fuckers lol * and yes i reallllly need to get in there and vaccum... i make a hell of a mess with the food *

anyway heres about 4 handfuls of worm chow, it will be 90% gone by tomorrow morning, these little fuckers are eating way more then they used to lol i suspect a huge population boom has happened, bunch of babys in there so i guess alot of last years hatched ! yay! Score 1 for creating new life ;)

Anyway bins full of shit i needa take care of it but im already ass deep in castings and its not spring yet so im having a hard time with storage options lol been making tea every week for my house plants but they don't feed much so its taking a while to go thru the stock pile i have already, plus once its been brewed i save the soil for spring garden :D Reuse Recycle!

Ok picture time! * Pulled the tub back a little so i could shoot the inside without pssing them off 2 much.*

View attachment 486608 View attachment 486609 View attachment 486610 View attachment 486611
Thanks for sharing. You make it look so easy. So correct me if I'm wrong, it looks like your bedding is old root balls in a solid bin and after so long you filter out the worms and collect the bedding/castings and then add worms to new bedding/slash or rootballs?

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Thanks for sharing. You make it look so easy. So correct me if I'm wrong, it looks like your bedding is old root balls in a solid bin and after so long you filter out the worms and collect the bedding/castings and then add worms to new bedding/slash or rootballs?

No root balls here, The bedding is a mix of coco coir and peat moss and a cpl hand fulls of sand for the worms to help digest food since they don't have teeth they need sand, Tho coir and coffee grounds work just the same im told..

and after about 4-6 months depending on the food levels most of the bedding will be black and then yeah time to make a new bin and sift out the worms from the old bin, then i'll leave the old bin to sit for a cpl months for the babys to hatch and any other worms i may have missed will start to crawl up the sides of the tub when i put the lid on from lack of oxygen so i just pick them off daily and transfer them over to the new bin..

Cpl more weeks and i'll have to do all that i'll post pics and such of the whole process.. Going to be alot of work :\

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
All Righty! The Bin is getting Way to full ( been adding new bedding to delay the harvest a little )

But its time to stop feeding today and let the bin rest for a week or 2 Then pictures and a massive casting/worm harvest will be done!

End of this month im pushing for hopefully they will have ate all the blocks of veggies i threw in over the last cpl weeks..

stay tuned going to be fun and really really exhausting but worth it! Lots of pics of worms!

Going to try to isolate all the worms in a bucket then see just how many i really have!!

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Counting worms sounds like fun :D

HA! No way im going to count them But i will clean and Weigh them real quick On Avarage theres I think.. 1000 worms to a full pound.. I'll have to dbl check my math.. But im going to count them @ 500 per pound since mine have but on alot of weight from eating these thing are starting to look like night crawlers lol there huge!

G gnome

G gnome

Got a worm farm 360 i get a tray a week of verma I keep a seperate bin and compost everything in there before i feed it to the worms.
By doing so i cut down on both excess heat and moisture in the worm farm and make that next tray immediatly available as food for the worms.

I generally feed them kitchen scraps egg shell from chickens grown on site of coarse along with all the other goodies that didn't make it down the hatch. Lots of shredded news papers and... my secret ingredient FAN LEAVES I call it cannibal cannabis lol

urbanfog

urbanfog

<3 my worms! I run 2 big rubbermaid tubs and harvested 5-10lbs of castings o' love :D Between the worms eating my scraps, I also shred all my "newspaper/paper scraps" for them to demolish! Between teas and top dressing everything from my veggies in the yard, my greenhousers & house plants and my medical garden loves it. I have been going from vermitea to alfalfa teas between feedings and all seem to love it

primordial

primordial

I'm such a newb but I'm hooked, I can't wait to see tons of wigglers like dabs shot up there ^^^^

G gnome

G gnome

The worm farm has 4 trays i harvest the oldest one from the bottom and empty it then refill it w new stuff and put it on top. Imo if your buying shit to put in your worm farm its sort of defeats some of the purpose.
This has been rather effective for me I estimate the worm pop has at least doubled from the original 2k i bought last spring. Literally the best bang for my buck investment I've made since the purchase.

Top Bottom