Worm Farming Aka Vermicomposting!

• Thread starter LittleDabbie
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G gnome

G gnome

just ordered my worms, i actually found a place not too far from me, didnt have to pay importation fees, and only 3 day shipping...ordered 2 lbs of worms from one place, and a huge bag from another...the other place does not sell by the lb or by numbers, they sell worms that come in their own bedding already high in microbal life, i plan to use this as a starter mix, and then add my other 2 lbs to the bin...got me a 189 liter rubermaid bin...should be good to start....worms start getting here in 3 days
Good to hear pal.
P.S. if your short on space your worm bin can dbl as a night stand lol.

Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

Ooo Also @Joe Fresh Do not forget a light ( bright but not hot ) Dont use hps :) Over the bin for 2-3 days else your going to find those worms crawling all over your floor when lights go blink ;)

Light forces them to acclimate to there new home after a few days there chill and light can go out and they can remain in the dark 24/7 and won't try and leave the bin till conditions become intolerable :D
im actually starting my bin outside(in a shaded area) so it will get plenty of outdoor light,but no direct sunlight...and in hot summer months, it will be in the garage...

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
no i meant 189 liters...roughly 50 gallon tote...

God damn son! Please post a picture of that tub lol I gotta see what a 50 Gallon tote looks like the biggest i could find around here was 35 gallons.. and even thats starting to get a little small for my 6000+ population lol

As far as outdoors goes sounds good You might wanna put a peace of plywood or something over the top to keep excess rainwater and birds/bugs/random animals coons ect ect ect ect skunks... whatever smells rotting food and comes :D

Temps if your using all red wigglers prefer between 40 and 80 60-70 being ideal Shaded is good, if you have a SS thermometer you can use to measure the temp's of the soil thats hella handy :D

50 gallon moving that fucker around when its full of worms and soil its gonna be alot harder then you think lol I hope you got help, I hada drag my 35 gallon tub from 1 room to the next lol shits fuckin heaaaaaaaavy!

Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

God damn son! Please post a picture of that tub lol I gotta see what a 50 Gallon tote looks like the biggest i could find around here was 35 gallons.. and even thats starting to get a little small for my 6000+ population lol

As far as outdoors goes sounds good You might wanna put a peace of plywood or something over the top to keep excess rainwater and birds/bugs/random animals coons ect ect ect ect skunks... whatever smells rotting food and comes :D

Temps if your using all red wigglers prefer between 40 and 80 60-70 being ideal Shaded is good, if you have a SS thermometer you can use to measure the temp's of the soil thats hella handy :D

50 gallon moving that fucker around when its full of worms and soil its gonna be alot harder then you think lol I hope you got help, I hada drag my 35 gallon tub from 1 room to the next lol shits fuckin heaaaaaaaavy!
yeah well i been mixing soil in those 36 gal totes, i know how heavy they can get lol....for the worm bin, right now im mixing soil in it, as you can see it sits on top the 36 gal tote lol, so you can see this one is longer and shorter than the 36gal...but i plan to make a small plywood frame with casters for this...or more like mini offroad wheels lol

edit: btw bought this at walmart the otherday....as soon as i seen if from 3 isles over, i went straight to it, lol...last time i was there i bought them out of all their 36 gal totes, lol...lady at the cash was looking at me like i was crazy, think i bought 26 of them lol...left none on the racks lol

Last edited:
LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Holy Crap that things huge! lol Im surprised the tote under neath don't collapse! Careful on the back lifting that fucker!

Thing needs wheels lol

Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

Holy Crap that things huge! lol Im surprised the tote under neath don't collapse! Careful on the back lifting that fucker!

Thing needs wheels lol
its actually not bad lifting it, even when full of soil/coco mix...easier than lifting my 36 gal when its full...i think its just the physics of the design and how to lift it that makes it easier...but im sure the worms wil add some unwanted weight to the bin lol

but yes for outside wheels are a must

Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

Joe sleeps on a flood and drain table and drinks his coffee in the morning from a beaker lol
haha to be honest it was how i started growing inside....had my bedroom...used the black-n-white paper to split my bedroom in half(was sleeping on a futon at the time) and one half i would use as my room, and the other half had 2 1kw hps and 3 430w(2hps and one mh)....the year before that i had 11 plants in my yard about 11 feet tall...they are lollipopped up to the 5 ft mark, so i could litterally walk under the canopy....but where im from its a short season and i only yeilded about 5 lbs form those 11 monsters

so i just got my worms today, got 2 lbs worth...still waiting on the other bag from the other place...one thing i noticed form this pack of worms...they seemed to have a lot of small critter, i think they are soil mites...which i think are beneficial, but not sure...either way happy im keeping this worm bin outside for the time being, dont want nothing like that in my plants..ifs funny when i buy worm castings they are super clean, no bugs or mites or anything, just pure castings

G gnome

G gnome

haha to be honest it was how i started growing inside....had my bedroom...used the black-n-white paper to split my bedroom in half(was sleeping on a futon at the time) and one half i would use as my room, and the other half had 2 1kw hps and 3 430w(2hps and one mh)....the year before that i had 11 plants in my yard about 11 feet tall...they are lollipopped up to the 5 ft mark, so i could litterally walk under the canopy....but where im from its a short season and i only yeilded about 5 lbs form those 11 monsters

so i just got my worms today, got 2 lbs worth...still waiting on the other bag from the other place...one thing i noticed form this pack of worms...they seemed to have a lot of small critter, i think they are soil mites...which i think are beneficial, but not sure...either way happy im keeping this worm bin outside for the time being, dont want nothing like that in my plants..ifs funny when i buy worm castings they are super clean, no bugs or mites or anything, just pure castings

Your castings are goin to be so much better than the store bought. The more different stuff you put in there the more diverse it'll be. Most of the store bought stuff is castings made from manure and thats it. You just totally stepped your game up my brotha.

Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

Your castings are goin to be so much better than the store bought. The more different stuff you put in there the more diverse it'll be. Most of the store bought stuff is castings made from manure and thats it. You just totally stepped your game up my brotha.
ya well i did this for 2 main reasons...no longer pay 35$ for an 18 liter bag of castings lol, and also get rid of extra food scraps..my main thing i wanted to add was all my trimmings after i make hash from them...figured it was a perfect way to dispose of the trimmings lol

G gnome

G gnome

ya well i did this for 2 main reasons...no longer pay 35$ for an 18 liter bag of castings lol, and also get rid of extra food scraps..my main thing i wanted to add was all my trimmings after i make hash from them...figured it was a perfect way to dispose of the trimmings lol
Hell yeah... cannibal cannabis

Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

yeah, and im liking how these 2 lbs are filling out the bottom of the 50 gal container...thinking when the other bag gets here i might just start a separate farm in a 36 gal...im undecided right now...but i figure 2 bins must be better than one when it comes to harvesting castings...do it on a flip flop kind of thing

G gnome

G gnome

Hey joe. If I may make a suggestion. One thing I do that i never see anybody else do that works really well for me. I use a separate bin to get the composting process goin. So i only feed the worm bin w stuff thats already had a chance to break down a lil. By doin this i can keep the temps down in the worm bin and still add as much as i want. Otherwise it would overheat the worms. Also this keeps the moisture optimal

Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

Hey joe. If I may make a suggestion. One thing I do that i never see anybody else do that works really well for me. I use a separate bin to get the composting process goin. So i only feed the worm bin w stuff thats already had a chance to break down a lil. By doin this i can keep the temps down in the worm bin and still add as much as i want. Otherwise it would overheat the worms. Also this keeps the moisture optimal
thats a good suggestion, as i plan to start a small compost pile outside, nothing huge, but thats a good idea, as i have watched many worm farming videos, and one of the other suggestions i seen was to tak kitchen scraps and blend them with a tiny bit of honey or maple syrup, and then pour that over the new worm foods, and it seemed to supercharge the worms

G gnome

G gnome

I would definitely make the scraps smaal as possible at least until you have more castings than you know what to do with. Honey doesn't seem economical to me

Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

I would definitely make the scraps smaal as possible at least until you have more castings than you know what to do with. Honey doesn't seem economical to me
yeah i understand, molasses would do as well...from what i heard its just to add sweetner and carbs to the foods, and they go crazy...i guess i should have to make 2 bins then, i need to test it out

Top Bottom