worms in my rapid rooter grow plugs

• Thread starter StonerCasper
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

StonerCasper

i dont know what im doing wrong but i just noticed lil tiny tiny long little white clear worms when i pulled out 1 of the plugs to check for roots. now I havent noticed any negitive results because of them. The cuttings are still rooting nicely but im concerned with the lil guys i discovered in the plugs.

Has any1 noticed lil tiny worms in there plugs and if ya what are thay and what do i do to get rid of them? :confused0054:

coolslayer

coolslayer

Could be fungus gnats, caterpillars,or thrips.......none of which are beneficial.

S

StonerCasper

Try Captain Jack's Dead Bug spray with Spinosad.

ok so can i find that at a tepical grow shop? It wont be harmful to my cuttings or there roots? I even asked the people at one of the grow shops here and they had no clue as to what it might be. they suggested that i brought them in somehow. well I am going to give it a shot thank you so much. and I would post a pic of them but they are so dam tiny it was even hard to spot them. At 1st I thought it was juz a root. LOL:confused0054:

coolslayer

coolslayer

ok so can i find that at a tepical grow shop? It wont be harmful to my cuttings or there roots? I even asked the people at one of the grow shops here and they had no clue as to what it might be. they suggested that i brought them in somehow. well I am going to give it a shot thank you so much. and I would post a pic of them but they are so dam tiny it was even hard to spot them. At 1st I thought it was juz a root. LOL:confused0054:

I have only ordered Captain Jack's Dead Bug online.....not sure who carries it locally.

S

StonerCasper

not my fault?

^^That shop owes u new plugs or some money.

so from your opinion is that the problem was the plugs that I bought? wow I didn't think of that. i did even think to inspect the plugs I havent used fromt the same batch. I just assumed it was something tat I did. Thanks:)

Rushoe

Rushoe

I have had that happen to me with a bag of rooters....So I buy rockwools now much cheaper...It's just kinda of a bitch cuz you have to ph them at 5.5 for like 45 min... no big deal.....And they root a lil bit slower....And for some reason I notice that when I transplant rockwool's I don't get any shock!!!!!!!

coolslayer

coolslayer

I use Oasis cubes and Rapid rooters and have had no problem.

BakedasBeans

BakedasBeans

Is this them??

fungus-gnat-larvae.jpg

S

StonerCasper

Is this them??

fungus-gnat-larvae.jpg

yes that them all right what are they and what do i do to get ride of them and what do i do to not get them back? oh and are the cuttings that i have found with these worms are they ok to transplant and keep? Thank you so much for the info.

BakedasBeans

BakedasBeans

Those are fungus gnat larvae. I have only had them once so I dont a whole lot about treatment but i would assume that azatrol/azamax would do the trick with the least harm to your plants. I saw them in cuts I had rooting and in a fit of rage I just tossed everything and started over (I had just got over root aphids and found these). I have seen azamax/azatrol kill a lot of stuff with the only exeption being root aphids or hardcore mites.. With azamax I believe they reccomend applying every third day for infestations and once a week or every other week for preventative. I have used it as often as every other day and the only problem I found was the plants started showing slight deficiencies from not getting nutrients with every watering which was an easy fix... I have also heard of people putting an inch or so of sand on top of their soil which will stop the adults from being able to fly out and eventually (since no more eggs are being laid) there will be no more gnats.

If you are going to keep them I would personally treat them BEFORE the transplant just because it would be a smaller containment area which would give you a better chance of killing the infestation. If you transplant first they would have more medium to occupy and hide in.

BakedasBeans

BakedasBeans

Oh and maybe get some kind of fogger or hot shot strips to kill the flyers that are already in the room

S

StonerCasper

wow thanks for the info. now i think that is it very early on because I don't have anything flying around "YET" but I also had a question? I inspect my plants everyday for hours sometimes and haven't seen or had any problems. now I found a lil tiny white almost clear in color bug walking on one of my plants. i thought it was the result if the worms larva or something but tis bug did not have wings so now i got another problem arising. :worried

WHAT am i doing wrong that this is starting to happen? I keep my areas clean i "was" (past tense) watering a lil excessively but have since stopped. Or was it that the Rapid Rooter Plugs brought them in?

BakedasBeans

BakedasBeans

hmmm I havent heard of the larvae crawling on the actual foliage. Maybe some kind of caterpillar or something?? I now the excessive watering could be attractive to fungus gnats but Im not sure what that other bug would be. Do you have a picture of it? Th rooters could definitely bring in bugs if the hydro store had poor storage or theres hundereds of ways they could have been infested. Maybe even from the factory.

coolslayer

coolslayer

wow thanks for the info. now i think that is it very early on because I don't have anything flying around "YET" but I also had a question? I inspect my plants everyday for hours sometimes and haven't seen or had any problems. now I found a lil tiny white almost clear in color bug walking on one of my plants. i thought it was the result if the worms larva or something but tis bug did not have wings so now i got another problem arising. :worried

WHAT am i doing wrong that this is starting to happen? I keep my areas clean i "was" (past tense) watering a lil excessively but have since stopped. Or was it that the Rapid Rooter Plugs brought them in?

This one sounds like a thrip. I think Captain Jack's Dead Bug brew will take care of both pests and then some.....

coolslayer

coolslayer

Thrip

Does the one walking around look like any of these figures?

Thrip171
S

StonerCasper

Does the one walking around look like any of these figures?

YES:confused0054: dam you guys are good. WOW i was going crazy. I am going 2maro 2get me some of that captain Jack stuff for sure.
Any recommendations on how to use it or do the directions good enough?
well i sent u a email just before i saw this. :rollj:

coolslayer

coolslayer

Thrips and Fungus Gnats are some serious pains in the backside for cannabis growers unless you have a good treatment,like Captain Jack's. It has instructions....basically,you just spray it on the leaves,wait 3-4 days,and spray it again.The second treatment will get stragglers that the first one didn't.Captain Jack's claims to kill most of the common cannabis pests. Another good thing to use with the Fungus Gnats is hang a couple of those sticky fly strips that they get stuck on.

S

StonerCasper

thanks so much. I went to the local grow store and got some Monterey Garden spray. I applied the 1st attract and it seems to be working well I went back a few hours later and and I could see all the dead lil white larvas. :)

Top Bottom