Wort Coil, size, temp, chiller rez size

• Thread starter Onelow1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Onelow1

Onelow1

Hey all, my question is when using a wort coil in a separate chilled rez, what temp should I try. I have a 10th hp chiller, and using just a 5 gal Iglo water cooler that I circulate to about 50 degrees. Then my wort coil in that. My question is what temperature (if there is just one) for that chiller rez, that has the wort in it. I'm cooling only 25 gal system. I'm try to figure out the best efficient temp so the chiller doesn't keep cycling too much. System temp is at 68 degrees and like I said the chiller rez is at 50 or lower. And I don't know how far down the chiller will actually chill. It just keeps running after a certain point. Plus the actual size of the Chiller rez???? I'm using only 5 gal. Any thought's or comment would be appreciated. shot low boyz, they're riding Shetland ponies...

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

All going to depend on how much you need to lower the temp. Is there a delay on the compressor? If not thats probably the forst thing I would do. Sounds like its going to be a trial and error thing. I would set it as close to the temp you desire as you can and slowly work down until you find your sweet spot.

Onelow1

Onelow1

Yes I can do 1-2-3 degree offset. But I'm cooling 5 gals to 48 degrees. The system doesn't require that much cooling right now with winter. But the chiller keeps cycling maybe more than I think it should. I don't want to use a Yeti cooler. Just didn't know if there some formula, system size= chilled rez size= chiller size= temp difference = heat transfer. It seem the lower the temp, the more it runs. But if it were warm right now, the 5 gal may not be enough to cool the system and recover before it's needed again. Very time consuming. oh bother

Onelow1

Onelow1

I'll take advantage of the cooler temps right now and raise the set temp like you said. Might as well play with it now while I don't need it as much.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Have pics so I can understand a bit better? I'm a bit slow lately. But the circulation and mixing is going to be key in reducing fluctuations as well as insulating the pipes and buckets.

Onelow1

Onelow1

No worries, it's all good. I have a plan and a window of opportunity. Thanks for the help. Sometime you have to talk through it.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

No worries, it's all good. I have a plan and a window of opportunity. Thanks for the help. Sometime you have to talk through it.
Awesome yeah not much help but hey if it help pull some thoughts its all good.

Top Bottom