would like some tips I know I have made mistakes

• Thread starter Bubba Budda
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Bubba Budda

Sorry, this is going to be long. I am a nor cal prop 215 patient. I have started to grow. I am and always have been a "go for it fine tune the details as you go" kinda guy. So I did a little research. partitioned off a 5'x8' part of my work shead. (I build guitars as a hobbie) bought some clones and went for it.

Would like some tips i know i have made mistakes
SmokeyPipes

SmokeyPipes

First you need to get those lights a lot closer than you have them if possible,Second if that shed is outside,I imagine it gets pretty damn cold in there,especially at night,which won't help your plants grow any faster,Clones look pretty healthy from what I can tell.Might want to get a grow tent or build one.That's for starters,hope this helps!!

B

Bubba Budda

here are some more pics and my set up.
I am growing in 70% FFOF 30% perilite I started with 4 cush/green crack plants (so I was told) as you can see I kinda rigged a lighting thing, painted the room white and thru in some reflective stuff. I vegged for 6 weeks with 400 ish real watts of 6500k cfl. I went to 12/12 on Jan 11 and switched 2700k cfls bumped the light to 500 watts on Jan 28

P1082344
P1072334
P1292430sm
B

Bubba Budda

for frame of reference all pics are from standing in an open door

Jack Dupp

Jack Dupp

First you need to get those lights a lot closer than you have them if possible,Second if that shed is outside,I imagine it gets pretty damn cold in there,especially at night,which won't help your plants grow any faster,Clones look pretty healthy from what I can tell.Might want to get a grow tent or build one.That's for starters,hope this helps!!

^^this^^

Also even though you have your plants in a tray, it would be a good idea to get that power strip off the floor. Once you start getting into higher wattage lights, it will be imperative to keep anything with power off the floor, where water might come in contact with it.

Good luck to you.

R

Ricky808

Those cfls should be within 3 in. of the plants for optimal growth. they look kinda orange, make sure they are 5000-6500k if you are vegging 2000-3000k if your just gonna flower from there.

hiboy

hiboy

Also make sure you get fresh air in there. A small fan would stir up the air a bit. Temps should be above 70 thats for sure. Some bloom fertilizer would do ya well. You didnt mention anything about your feeding schedule. Some soils have some chems in them.
hiboy

H

HolyMunchies

According to his posts, he has 6500k veg and 2700k flowering cfl's no problem there. Also if you take a closer look you will see a fan in one of those pics didnt anyone have those Where's Waldo books LOL.

70-80 degrees recomended if you can't get there consider some seedling heating mats it will at least keep your roots warm.

I spy a lot of 3 bladed leafs which as I recall means they are struggling for light move those lights good and close. Really close.

FFOF soil is pretty decent out of the bag good N for about 2 months or so but I would expect the supply of nutes to be running low if you have not added anything.

B

Bubba Budda

Sorry I said it was going to be long

Maybe I should explain my "light frame"
I made a light frame that hinges at the wall. and is suspended buy a rope and pulley. It canter-levers up out of the way to allow access. for inspection and photos. As the diffident strains develop I raise the shorties for a level playing field

P1292431sm
B

Bubba Budda

More of the story

This shed is not well insulated but is built on a bed of Yellow cedar mulch .. I don't see to many bugs ever. I have a 200 watt heater thats not enough to maintain good temps at night. It doesn't get real cold to often, maybe below freezing 5-6 times a winter. So I will admit this problem isn't going to change anytime soon. So far I think things look good but buds are small. I don't know if the cold is slowing them down or stunting them.

P2232523sm
P2232529sm
P2232530sm
P2232531sm
P1292431sm
B

Bubba Budda

Strains as I stated earlier were supposed to be green crack. I ended up with 3 that look like sativa dominate crosses and one that looks to be almost if not pure indica. The indica is finishing and has the best buds the crosses have lots of bud but no size and tric are totally clear. yield size looks disappointing to me but the buds on the indica look pretty nice. first is the close up on the trics, looks like a few are starting to turn amber anyone have an educated guess of a harvest date. She is 45 days of 12-12 now

P2262533sm
P2122464sm
Budage1
B

Bubba Budda

as far as feeding I started with FF Grow Big and kelp extract for veg and switched to FF Big Bloom for flower. the Indica was a little sensitive to the nutes so she got 1/2 recommended the Sativas got about 3/4 dosage

hiboy

hiboy

Freezing temps will def. cause a problem for you. Hopefully you can finish this run before any of that sets in. Try to do your grows not in the coldest of times so you wont waste electrical and nutes and most importantly time. More lights would create heat and running them at night would be the most logical.
hiboy

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
^^this^^

Also even though you have your plants in a tray, it would be a good idea to get that power strip off the floor. Once you start getting into higher wattage lights, it will be imperative to keep anything with power off the floor, where water might come in contact with it.

Good luck to you.
Do what fishkeepers do and mount the strip up on the wall. Put loops on all power cords that are connected so that IF water does manage to drip it will hit a low spot BEFORE it hits the power strip.

I'm going to suggest, when you can, either switching out some of the CFLs for shop lights, the 48" 40W fluoros, or, better yet, adding shop lights to the mix. Mix warm white and daylight bulbs, and you can drop them pretty much right on top of the plants. If your plan is to eventually get them outside be sure to acclimate them to sunlight first, either by putting them in direct sun for a short period of time each day and then increase, or by starting them off in a shady spot (I put mine under the big black oak for three days to a week, then off they go to the big planter). If your goal is to flower them out using fluorescent light you will definitely need more light, and it will need to have a little spread to it. If you plan to put them under HID, then acclimate them by starting with the light up high and then lower every day or two, an inch or two at a time, until it's where they want it.

HolyMunchies has gotten you on a few things (good eyes!), but the triple-lobed leaves are a sign of hormonal confusion. In other words, the plants are trying to go back to a vegetative state. This occurs for a few reasons, and since they're in flower already then I would be concerned with light leaks, because if they try to reveg (forget about hermies!) then that absolutely will cut into yield.

As will cold temperatures. Overnight cold isn't such a big deal, but while they're photosynthesizing and trying to grow they absolutely must have their building blocks available at temperatures and pH ranges in which they can actually make use of them. An EBS could help you here (EBS is an Electric Blanket Sandwich, my small homage to the Merry Pranksters and their time with the Warlocks), which is cheap and simple to make, but you do need to take care you don't get certain electrical components wet. Electric blanket folded up and stuck inside a (contractor's) garbage bag, taped shut so it doesn't slide around, works a charm to keep those roots warm and happy without using up a huge amount of power.

Top Bottom