Would this soil be okay to use?

• Thread starter Michigan.Out.Of.Doors
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Michigan.Out.Of.Doors

Michigan.Out.Of.Doors

When you have a sizeable pile. Now and then dig a hole towards the middle and shove your arm in there about up to the elbow. If its warm you're good. If it's really hot where its uncomfortable to have your arm in there, its time to flip. Or get a compost thermometer.
Oh dang I didn't realize how hot it gets,okay thanks for the tip

MICHGANDER9

MICHGANDER9

When you have a sizeable pile. Now and then dig a hole towards the middle and shove your arm in there about up to the elbow. If its warm you're good. If it's really hot where its uncomfortable to have your arm in there, its time to flip. Or get a compost thermometer.
To turn it more often is better than not enough it will turn anaerobic if you don't turn it enough and you dont want that mostly BAD creatures live in that environment

Michigan.Out.Of.Doors

Michigan.Out.Of.Doors

To turn it more often is better than not enough it will turn anaerobic if you don't turn it enough and you dont want that mostly BAD creatures live in that environment
Should it stinks from decomposition?

Michigan.Out.Of.Doors

Michigan.Out.Of.Doors

Would my reused soil be better or worse than ground dirt,I also have organic bone meal dry amendment i can add,because I might just throw it in the compost to start it off

Farmer88

Farmer88

Would my reused soil be better or worse than ground dirt,I also have organic bone meal dry amendment i can add,because I might just throw it in the compost to start it off

It's not wise to use ground soil as a potting mix. The soil is not suited for that. Like I said previously, if your friend had no root borne illness and no fungus or insect problems, the old soil is fine just depleted of nutrients which is fine for germination.

You can turn the compost as much as you want. Ideally you are shooting for 140F center temp. By turning more frequently you will lower the overall tempreture but massively increase oxygen. The balance is maintaining proper heat for bacterial growth and oxygen for bacteria to breathe and reproduce. Lower tempreture will slow reproduction. No oxygen and you'll be weeping to the gods with a handfull of dead bacterial comrades and shattered dreams.

Oh, and moisture levels and available carbohydrates will matter as well.

MICHGANDER9

MICHGANDER9

If it smells like garbage when your ready to use it it probably is so if it smells bad it is
do not put meat,bones,onions, garlic,citrus like orange peels in your pile but do put old lettuce, egg shell,oatmeal,melon rinds, corn meal,grass clippings, leaves, things like that a good green brown mix green for bacteria and brown for fungal food all part of the soil food web

Michigan.Out.Of.Doors

Michigan.Out.Of.Doors

It's not wise to use ground soil as a potting mix. The soil is not suited for that. Like I said previously, if your friend had no root borne illness and no fungus or insect problems, the old soil is fine just depleted of nutrients which is fine for germination.

You can turn the compost as much as you want. Ideally you are shooting for 140F center temp. By turning more frequently you will lower the overall tempreture but massively increase oxygen. The balance is maintaining proper heat for bacterial growth and oxygen for bacteria to breathe and reproduce. Lower tempreture will slow reproduction. No oxygen and you'll be weeping to the gods with a handfull of dead bacterial comrades and shattered dreams.

Oh, and moisture levels and available carbohydrates will matter as well.
What if I did a 50/50 mix of re used and regular ground soil,in going to be keeping these in the cup for a month until it gets warm enough to plant

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
my grandfather always had the best dirt, he raised worms. but he would put cardboard over the compost instead of a tarp, then he could tell by the cardboard how it was doing and when it needed flipped.

MICHGANDER9

MICHGANDER9

do not put meat,bones,onions, garlic,citrus like orange peels in your pile but do put old lettuce, egg shell,oatmeal,melon rinds, corn meal,grass clippings, leaves, things like that a good green brown mix green for bacteria and brown for fungal food all part of the soil food web
$20 for a sack of worm castings or Uncle Jims Worm farm for the live ones which id recommend

Michigan.Out.Of.Doors

Michigan.Out.Of.Doors

Should I do straight ground soil or 50/50 of reused and ground since the reused doesn't have nutrients,I'm going to be keeping them in the cups for 1 1/2 months,I also have liquid fox farm if needed

Michigan.Out.Of.Doors

Michigan.Out.Of.Doors

my grandfather always had the best dirt, he raised worms. but he would put cardboard over the compost instead of a tarp, then he could tell by the cardboard how it was doing and when it needed flipped.
I suppose that makes sense,I'll be keeping this in mind,do you have freezing winters where you live?because I think cold might be an issue

MICHGANDER9

MICHGANDER9

$20 for a sack of worm castings or Uncle Jims Worm farm for the live ones which id recommend
Should I do straight ground soil or 50/50 of reused and ground since the reused doesn't have nutrients,I'm going to be keeping them in the cups for 1 1/2 months,I also have liquid fox farm if needed
I suppose that makes sense,I'll be keeping this in mind,do you have freezing winters where you live?because I think cold might be an issue
I live in Michigan so yes

MICHGANDER9

MICHGANDER9

I NEED work castings but no money,literaly none
Well man you only get out of it what you put in it not saying break the bank just saying there is a minimum requirement of investment in this so good luck my friend and remember a plant is a living thing and NEEDS LOVE to! Ron from Michigan ✌

20210316 152521
20210314 064547
Farmer88

Farmer88

I respectfully disagree here. All organic matter is fine in a compost pile. Depending on your inputs you will have to monitor the pile for changes requiring more flipping or more nitrogen or carbon based inputs. The cardboard is a good idea since it will breathe beter than the tarp. Felt is still then optimal option.

In regards to freezing winters, this is the time to leave the pile alone and allow an insulating crust to form on the pile as well as whatever cover you choose to use. Bacteria will go dormant from outside tempretures but will enliven again when spring arrives. A feeding of molasses or other simple carbohydrate will give bacteria the food necessary to restart the reproduction process.

You can mix in whatever soil you want for propagation, it just won't have a lot of nutrient inputs to carry the plant for a long time.

Top Bottom