Would this work? Enough root space?

• Thread starter ogplatinum
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ogplatinum

ogplatinum

Im looking into doing a soil bed for my next grow. Fit more plants in a small space. I've been eyeing a 40gal hydro res at my local hydro store with a tapered bottom. Its over a foot deep. I was thinking of drilling 1" holes for drainage and filling the bottom with clay balls, rest with RO soil. So my question is...

Would a 40gal hydro res be big enough to house the root space of around 10 mature plants, from start to finish?

Thanks in advance for your replies. Hoping GM will slide through with some advice. Been reading through his soil bed threads and they gave me the inspiration.

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

Not a problem at all depending on veg times, strain of plant.

To try it, I would veg no longer than 7-10 day's. Place a net about a foot from the plants bottoms. Pretty much doing a sea of green/scrog.

I would do all the same strain so it is easier to control and know what to expect in growth patterns.

Good luck, hope it work's well for you.

ogplatinum

ogplatinum

Not a problem at all depending on veg times, strain of plant.

To try it, I would veg no longer than 7-10 day's. Place a net about a foot from the plants bottoms. Pretty much doing a sea of green/scrog.

I would do all the same strain so it is easier to control and know what to expect in growth patterns.

Good luck, hope it work's well for you.

Thanks man, Im planning on having, like i said, the bottom layer (2") be a mix of clay balls and perlite...Then have two holes on each side for drainage. (into a bucket)

Thanks, Im probably also going to make a PVC housing around the bed with some wire on top for a screen.

veg will be a week or two.

Latest posts

Top Bottom