wtf is this shit in my filter???

• Thread starter Gaval
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

Gaval

i went downstairs to check the ph on my water, it went up from 5.7 to 6.2 today and my recirculating pump was clogged with this shit, there is also like a film on the surface of the water. I dont use air stones i heard i could use pumps to recirculate the water inside the rez.

Nasty shit
G

Gaval

gen hydro flora gro micro and bloom 70 gallon res 5ml per gallon of each. I also added 1ml of h2o2 when i added the nutes its a brand new system.

G

Gaval

here are some more pics of the rez. If im not using air stones how many pumps do i need recirculating inside the rez? Im going off that dude desert squirrels idea

Water tank
Nother shot
P

PuraVida305

Check your pumps they might be leaking oil or silicone if thats what they have inside... if they are get rid of them and get some oilless pumps... GL

Red Reign

Red Reign

Looks like brown algae/hydro herpes. Do a search here or on Google.

J

Jalisco Kid

I can not find my glasses to check it out, If it looks like rounded sides like it came off a pipe tubing add some enzymes to your nutes. If you plants are reacting you might not have time for the enzymes to work. JK

G

Gaval

I didnt have a lid on the rez. Ive been reading on here to not put an air stone in my res so i decided to leave the lid off of it so it could get air. I put the lid back on drained the tank cleaned it with bleach an water, set the pump in a bucket of bleach an water an let it pump for 2 hrs, and flushed all the plants with 3ml per gallon of h202. Do you think i should just put an air stone in the water and give up on this craziness or keep on figuring out how to run this table without an air stone in the tank?

I

ibTheMan

That stuff is cause you dont clean your stuff good enough, between runs or in runs you need to clean your pump with a 3 day clean'n, 1st 24 hours of hydrozyme. 2nd 24 hours of germicidal bleach, and 24 hours of H2O2.
same thing happens in cloners.

J

Jalisco Kid

I would use enzymes so you do not have to work or kill everything. Leaving a top off a rez is inviting things you do not need. Why do you have a problem aerating your rez? JK

tortuga1503

tortuga1503

did you soak that filter in bleach too? I did that and shit came apart but never made it back to my rez because I noticed it first. I wonder if it would of looked like that shit?

B

Budshoteyes

Use a powerhead to agitate the surface water....a waterfall works even better!

And why not use an airstone,cheap and a great backup if pumps fail!

M

Memo.

YOU NEED AIR STONES!! who the fuck told you that you cant? if at least a LITTLE light goes thru and hits water with nutes, alge builds up

homebrew420

homebrew420

Desert S is right an air stone, believe it or not, not not add o2 the way most think. Those bubbles are not really providing much dissolved O to your nutes and surface agitation is good enough. I think everybody else hear has you covered for info. Just looks to me like some form of bio film. Clean it up and keep an eye on it's reoccurring. Good luck

Peace

opt1c

opt1c

keep light out of your res; that stuff will grow all day... if you want a cleaner res add some enzymes or use zone if you aren't running any beneficials. Also controlling the temp of the res will prevent any sort of buildups; my res is way cleaner at 68f than it is at 72f

W

wheeelman

That is brown algae...you definitely need air stones to oxygenate the water but you after sterilization if it comes back the only way to keep it away is a microbe tea. Google "DWC Root Slime Cure"

I have to run a microbe tea because I could not get rid of it...but I run DWC so your setup may be a little different. Anyway after running the microbe tea my roots recovered quickly and it hasn't returned...microbe tea also stimulates root growth and nute uptake.

hiboy

hiboy

Get rid of that foam screen guard over your pumps, you wont clog them and if anything small goes in the propeller pump will normally be able to grind it up
Also another main thing if you dont have is to install a pump in your rez that continuously runs to stir the water. Air stones are also nice if ya wana go that much
h

S

shakey

Does the water smell bad now like old fishtank water, it will stink if it's brown algae. That is a pain in the ass to get did of, and I lost some special mothers if that's what you have.

Top Bottom