• Thread starter jumpincactus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
timthumb.php

CHEYENNE, WY — Lawmakers in Wyoming are one step closer to approving a measure to replace criminal penalties for marijuana possession with a civil fine for first or second time offenders.

On Tuesday, Wyoming’s House Judiciary Committee approved a bill, House Bill 29, by a vote of 7-2, sending the measure to the floor of the House for a first reading.

During the hearing, the bill’s sponsor, Rep. Jim Byrd (D-Cheyenne) told the committee that a felony conviction for possession of a small amount of marijuana can have a devastating effect on a young person’s life, because it makes it very difficult to obtain employment.

“I could fill this room with a bunch of young people who are now felons, and their prospects for life are now just trashed,” Byrd told the committee. “All the way from 4.0 students who were going to college, to star athletes, to the average kid down the street.”

Byrd also noted that treating simple marijuana possession offenses as a civil violation, instead of a crime, would save on law enforcement and prosecution costs.

“Prosecuting someone for possessing marijuana can cost up to $10,000, for an amount that’s worth only a couple of hundred bucks,” Byrd explained. “The question is for all of you who are judicious and fiscally prudent, is that a good return on [our] investment?”

Byrd’s bill had originally called for a civil fine of $50 for the first or second possession of up to a half an ounce of marijuana and a $100 fine for possession of up to an ounce. However, Rep. Mark Baker (R-Rock Springs) successfully amended the bill in committee to set the fines at $250 for possession of up to half an ounce and $500 for possession of up to one ounce.

“I’m not very comfortable with just slapping someone on the wrist with a $50 fine,” Baker told the committee. “But I don’t think they should go to jail.”

Currently, possession of up to a half-ounce can result in up to a year in jail and/or a $1,000 fine.

The Marijuana Policy Project has established a page on their website to allow Wyoming residents to quickly contact their state lawmakers and encourage them to support the bill. If you are a Wyoming resident, please visit this page to contact your representatives.

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
the house defeated this bill i did the story on page 2 of the news thread :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom