xtrasun ballast 1000w, sizzling noise on HPS

• Thread starter IrieGreenThumb
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
I

IrieGreenThumb

ballast is year and a half old, HPS makes noise MH no noise. sounds like frankenstien electrodes.
both bulbs come on just the HPS makes the noise.
can anyone please lend me your insight and advice, im handy with a soldering iron and have read another post

"if the ballast is humming,the god news is the most expensive part(the ballast) is most likely good.the HPS side needs a capacitor and an ignitor While the MH only uses a cap &normally, the cap has a different value between HPS &MH.pop the lid & check it out(here is where a picture of the inside would help). the ignitor will have 3 wires but the cap only 2.
since neither work, a good bet is the ignitor is ok & if the unit has 2 caps,the odds of both going are slim but if only 1 cap.....
my guess would be a faulty switch or poor connection."
-- source http://www.invalid.com/grow-room-design-setup/408976-my-xtrasun-1000w-switchable-ballast.html

i have not opened it up yet. hoping to find corroborating opinions or a direction to work in to salvage..

thank you

I

IrieGreenThumb

my-xtrasun-1000w-switchable-ballast

Hello every one !!
I have a similar sitiation.. my digital e-ballast 1000w is making a sizzling sound like frankenstien electro rods.. the light works fine but now I have this hummin noise.. any insights or advice would be appreciated. I am also handy with a soldering iron. so I will get into the trenches np.

thanks ppl

also the HPS makes the noise the MH does not and both bulbs will come on.

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
my guess would be the Capacitor as them xtrasuns are pieces of shit>>I know, I have 12 of them:) and I keep buying em<<When they stop working or being weird i bring em down to my hydro shop and they fix it always the capacitor<<no bubbles no troubles:giggle

gtd:passingjoint:

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
and yes about a year and half is when they start doing this<<not all of the 12 only 4 of them have acted up on me:)

gtd

I

IrieGreenThumb

Thank you IREE sunny so cal bruda... much love !! I will b taking my ballast down and taking it to my hydro shop. I wouldnt mind doing it my self , just to learn. thanks again and have a good weekend...

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
yep>>they should have it fixed while your standing right there:) just takes a few minutes.
I learned by watching them, i dont have extra capacitors laying around or I would haha

keep it green down there
gtd

Top Bottom