Yellow And Blue Make Green?

• Thread starter 3N1GM4
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
3N1GM4

3N1GM4

I have seen posts that say it is ok to use green light during the dark cycle and it wont stress the plants. Green is not a primary color and plants use ligt in the blue spectrum so how can it be ok to use green light. Does green light not consist of yellow and blue light spectrums? I was reading a thread that is a few years old where someone thought that green light was causing his plants to hermie.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
If you have to have light during the dark cycle, the theory is green is the least detrimental. Reason being how we (and presumably plants) see light.

The way it works is this. Light has all the colors in it. The reason we see different colors is they are the ones that objects reflect in a particular wavelengths. A red cup is reflecting red light. A blue cup, blue light. A plant, being green, is thought to be least impacted by green light due to it completely reflecting that particular wavelength when exposed to a full spectrum light source. By only providing green light, it won't process that wavelength and the theory is it won't even know you turned a light on.

In practicality, you would have to use LEDs with the proper temperature range to produce true green light. An incandescent party light bulb won't cut it. All the bulb does is tints the full spectrum to appear green, you're still getting other wavelengths. A true green light may not have an impact.

My thoughts on the matter, leave em in the fuckin' dark. Unless it's an absolute emergency or right after lights out or lights on, you don't need to be messing around in there. Seriously, do you want someone coming and turn on a light while you're asleep? Not really, it'll make you a cranky bastard.

Plants are the same way, except it'll just make the chicks drop balls. No one wants a chick with balls, unless that's your thing.

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

So the theory is that the same wavelength light color as the color of the individual plant will reflect off the plant or not be absorbed by it, meaning if your plant were a lighter color(sativa) you would need a lighter green light to not stress it than if you had a darker plant(indica). Never planned on opening that door but I guess it is good to know.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Exactly. You would somehow need to work out what specific temperature diodes would be needed for whatever genetics. I would assume it would be somewhat strain dependent and a total pita. Would be super cool to figure out a way to measure metabolism and go full mad scientist on it. Could be enlightening.

G gnome

G gnome

I had a buddy who kept his green service light on all the time. Idk if they hermed but they looked like shit

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

I've kept green lights on in almost every room i've ran, the shitty cfl ones from home depot...never really saw a problem but that's where I've only ever done big rooms. 90 watts isn't much compared to 20-50,000.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I have seen posts that say it is ok to use green light during the dark cycle and it wont stress the plants. Green is not a primary color and plants use ligt in the blue spectrum so how can it be ok to use green light. Does green light not consist of yellow and blue light spectrums? I was reading a thread that is a few years old where someone thought that green light was causing his plants to hermie.
You're thinking in terms of reflected light (paint). Actual light colors are a specific wavelength, so in this case, you cannot mix yellow+blue to make green. You'll get a whiter light.

The first post after yours hit most of the other talking points.

Top Bottom