Yellow/Green leaves with rust spots

• Thread starter MrBlackThumb
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

MrBlackThumb

All the leaves on my plants are turning Yellow/Green and have rust spots on them.
I don't know what's going on here, it looks slightly like a cal-mag deficiency but, I could be wrong.

Things started going downhill a week ago after I fed my 2 weeks old seedlings 1,75g/gal of Maxibloom at 6,3pH.
Now, most of my leaves have rust spots on the edges and they're slowly turning into the picture below.

By the way, this soil mix brought me Thrips and I've also never used it before.
So, maybe my problem is related to that.

What do you guys think ?
If you need more infos, I've kept a log since day 1.

1. Are you growing from seed or clones? Seed
2. How old are your plants? 20 days old
3. How tall are your plants? 3-5 nodes
4. What size containers are they planted in? 1 gal
5. What is your soil mix?
6. How often do you water and what type of water do you use? Every 3 days, tap water
7. What is the pH of your water? 7.0
8. What kind of fertilizer do you use and what is its NPK ratio? Maxibloom, 5-15-14
9. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything? Neem Oil
10. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? MH, 400w
11. How close are your lights to the plants? 3 ft
12. What size is your grow space in square feet? 3x3
13. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space? 78-71F, 20% humidity
14. What is the pH of the soil? 7.0
15. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space? Thrips (Predators are on their way)
16. How much experience do you have growing? 2 harvests

Yellowgreen leaves with rust spots
Last edited:
M

MrBlackThumb

Ok. First. Repot her into a full pot of soil or finish filling that one up and water it in. . Half full pots no good. She's hungry imo . best of luck.

I'll repot and feed them in the morning.

I'll probably give 3,5g/gal Maxibloom to the normal ones and give stinky with firecracker red stems a full 7g dose.
That thing is only 3 weeks old and smells stronger than any flowering plants I've had put together lol.

chuckchill

chuckchill

it looks like a few things compounded into 1,problem. i think its cal.mag,mainlly FE. IRON.+ WRONG P.H WITH TO LOW HUMIDITY. .
PEACE.
C.C
All the leaves on my plants are turning Yellow/Green and have rust spots on them.
I don't know what's going on here, it looks slightly like a cal-mag deficiency but, I could be wrong.

Things started going downhill a week ago after I fed my 2 weeks old seedlings 1,75g/gal of Maxibloom at 6,3pH.
Now, most of my leaves have rust spots on the edges and they're slowly turning into the picture below.

By the way, this soil mix brought me Thrips and I've also never used it before.
So, maybe my problem is related to that.

What do you guys think ?
If you need more infos, I've kept a log since day 1.

1. Are you growing from seed or clones? Seed
2. How old are your plants? 20 days old
3. How tall are your plants? 3-5 nodes
4. What size containers are they planted in? 1 gal
5. What is your soil mix?
6. How often do you water and what type of water do you use? Every 3 days, tap water
7. What is the pH of your water? 7.0
8. What kind of fertilizer do you use and what is its NPK ratio? Maxibloom, 5-15-14
9. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything? Neem Oil
10. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? MH, 400w
11. How close are your lights to the plants? 3 ft
12. What size is your grow space in square feet? 3x3
13. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space? 78-71F, 20% humidity
14. What is the pH of the soil? 7.0
15. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space? Thrips (Predators are on their way)
16. How much experience do you have growing? 2 harvests

chuckchill

chuckchill

and phosphorous?. not enough. some of caps ,NUTE ,PACK WILL! CORRECT THAT PROBLEM. PURP DSTEMS! DEFO P,STARVED.
C.C

m8ty

m8ty

bugs in the root ball can damage your roots causing the deficiency's, a good soil bag free of bugs is so critical, where did the fafard bag come from? I got one from a local nursery joint and it was loaded with R.A, I brought it back, got my money back and never shop there again, them peeps keep the soil bags outdoors on pallets under a tent :eek:

Also mixing organic soil with mineral salt fertilizer is not recommended.

Last edited:
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I'm sorry, but it's really pretty simple, it's a Mg-. The proof will be when you do a foliar application of Epsom salts, I like using a rate of about 1/4tsp/gal water (use something as a sticker/spreader, a few drops of dish soap work well). If the plant greens up within a few hours, there you have it.
it looks like a few things compounded into 1,problem. i think its cal.mag,mainlly FE. IRON.+ WRONG P.H WITH TO LOW HUMIDITY. .
PEACE.
C.C
What do you see that brings you to this conclusion?

chuckchill

chuckchill

just the rust?lol.im no expert but know ph+ low r.h. im prob wrong.i defer to ur higher knowledge:-)
peace.c.c
I'm sorry, but it's really pretty simple, it's a Mg-. The proof will be when you do a foliar application of Epsom salts, I like using a rate of about 1/4tsp/gal water (use something as a sticker/spreader, a few drops of dish soap work well). If the plant greens up within a few hours, there you have it.

What do you see that brings you to this conclusion?

M

MrBlackThumb

bugs in the root ball can damage your roots causing the deficiency's, a good soil bag free of bugs is so critical, where did the fafard bag come from? I got one from a local nursery joint and it was loaded with R.A, I brought it back, got my money back and never shop there again, them peeps keep the soil bags outdoors on pallets under a tent :eek:

Also mixing organic soil with mineral salt fertilizer is not recommended.

Same, I bought it from a local nursery sponsored by Fafard.
They also kept all their bags of soil outside piled up on top of each others.

At first, I was gonna buy a bag of Pro-Mix but all the bags had time release fertilizers in them.
Anyway, when my plants wake up in 5 hours I'll go look at the roots for RA.
If I do have aphid, I guess It's over, there's no point in fighting a battle I can't win.

I'll try that too, ty.

sixstring

sixstring

hard to tell with a pic of the lowest leaf on the plant.ph is high and rh is low,how dry do you let them get?with those numbers it wouldnt take but a dry root zone for things to lock up.i would do a light feed of maybe 300ppm until runoff matched that number and try to raise rh to around 60% and lower ph to 6.4-6.5. a full pot of soil could help to if that one is bound up.full plant pic might be helpfull as well.from the pic the upper leaves look fine :) gl

M

MrBlackThumb

I learned a few things from looking at the roots.
They're all healthy white except the ones on the bottom which are amber.

I did see a tiny white fly with transparent wings at the bottom of one of the pot.
It walked right back into the dirt after I saw it.

I'm not sure what it is cause they don't look like white fly(too big), winged aphid(black body) or fungus gnats(black body).
They look exactly like those tiny annoying flies hanging in packs and surrounding you in the summer.

Later on, I also noticed small worms moving around the soil.
They were way too small to be examined with a microscope.

What should I do next ?

Drench with neem or feed them ?
Cause they 100% are hungry.

Last edited:
M

MrBlackThumb

Do you have anything other than neem? I just think neem is better for a foliar spray and tends to smother roots from nute uptake and oxygen.

No, 100% neem and 0.4% Pyrethrin foggers are all I have to work it.
I could also buy predators but, I'd have to know what exactly this is first.

To be 100% honest I think they're Fungus Gnats.
I've seen a couple tiny flying things at night on my monitor screen with black bodies and transparent wings.
After killing one I couldn't really tell if it was a Thrips or Fungus Gnats.

I also ended up having green algae in my soil 7 days in and now I don't see it any anymore.
Fungus Gnats would explain why it's no longer here and why I also have flying things living in my dirt as well as worms.

Last edited:
sixstring

sixstring

Read that thread I posted, first 10 or so pages have some good info.those guys will prolly show up in here and give you some advice.never give up is the theme of that thread I linked. ;)

sixstring

sixstring

Well if its fungus gnats dont worry to much, I have had them for years on and off.they come in soils and coco bags and they do little harm unless you let them get totally out of controll.sticky traps, anything yellow will catch the adults and really slow them down.

M

MrBlackThumb

Well if its fungus gnats dont worry to much, I have had them for years on and off.they come in soils and coco bags and they do little harm unless you let them get totally out of controll.sticky traps, anything yellow will catch the adults and really slow them down.

I adopted a giant spider 2 weeks ago and put it in my tent.
I haven't been able to find it again since then and it's only a 3x3 tent LOL.
It probably helps a bit keeping the adults in check since I haven't seen any flying around in the tent, ever.

Anyways, I just finished filling the pots with dirt and fed everyone at 6,3pH beside the one with a fly in it.
This one is getting drenched for now, I'm gonna feed it in a few days.

Let's see what happens next.

Latest posts

Top Bottom