Yellow Slime in Recirculating Hydro

• Thread starter Dr.Pepper
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper

i have been told it's something to watch out for in Recirculating Hydro systems, i haven't been able to find any definitive info on it like i have for other canna pests/diseases.... don't even know what to i.d it as other than Yellow Slime.... :character0110:

what do you Farmers do to avoid it? help a new Aero user learn what not to do and what will keep it from occurring!! Thnx :hi:

N

NHarmsway

i have been told it's something to watch out for in Recirculating Hydro systems, i haven't been able to find any definitive info on it like i have for other canna pests/diseases.... don't even know what to i.d it as other than Yellow Slime.... :character0110:

what do you Farmers do to avoid it? help a new Aero user learn what not to do and what will keep it from occurring!! Thnx :hi:
Are you useing hydro or airoponics?

Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper

thnx guys....

i wasn't sure if the Brown Slime is the same disease as Yellow Slime...as i have seen in GH Aeroflo2's

homebrew420

homebrew420

No light leaks in the res or channels? even the smallest amount seems to make a big difference

Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper

not any light leaks as far as i know...

thnx for the thought tho... i will keep that in mind!

nebulius

nebulius

I had the same problem so here is what I learned. If you are using Organic Nutrients(like fox farms) do not use H202 (peroxide) as it will kill beneficial bacteria. (my mistake) u need to add beneficial microbes like FF microbrew. the beneficial microbes with help keep a healthy bio-activity in your water.
here's an extended thread on the subject.http://www.invalid.com/dwc-bubbleponics/361430-dwc-root-slime-cure-aka.html
but before u add anything else, take your plants out and clean your setup with a light bleach and water solution. then start over with fresh nutes and beneficial microbes.

SweetTooth

SweetTooth

Hmmmm, what is your resivior temp lights on and what are you using as far as nutes/additives

Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper

^res temp lights on is 71.... sometimes as high as 73 or as low as 68 those are max and min i see...

nutes are Gh Maxi Grow and Super Thrive.. i think the prob was that the clones were sick from fungus gnats that they came with from source..... so they grew weak got killed by this yellow slime... i used h202 at 1.9mL per L every res change.... also another thing that could have caused this disease is i also added a bit of an 8 year old(in a fridge at least) Earth Juice Assist to the res the last change before the yellow slime got bad and i gave up and tore it all down and cleaned the space out

SweetTooth

SweetTooth

I ended up with a touch of root rot when I ran my nft/aero system when my temps got up to 72. Maybee a chiller is the answer.

Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper

yeah either that or tons of DM Zone which says it will work fine in up to 80f water!

I'm looking into that stuff big time ... may be what helps remedy this situation for a lot less than an expensive chiller... it would take a couple months to save up the cash for one so DM Zone is looking good at this point

Cort

Cort

Frozen water bottles dropped in rez. It lacks control, its labor intensive, its ghetto, but it helps if you need a few degrees cooler.

C

chalky white

lower the temp in the resivior 72 is perfect and keep it covered

Ohiofarmer

Ohiofarmer

Drop temps in the Res to 69 degrees or lower and clean everything very well. this is gaurenteed to fix the slime. had this same problem with my aerojet. hope this helps

Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper

hmmm, seems like i may have to bit the bullet and buy a chiller and or add pitchers of ice every day... it does lower the water temp about 3 Farenheit for about 6 hours or so... also i will employ a timer on the pump. 1hr on 30 min off all day and night... that should lower the heat created by the pump I'm thinking....

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

I am on the fence right now, doing research on the same problem. Either H202 or Organic Beneficial bacteria, microbes. Also heard hygrozyme, but its wayyyy to expensive. It seems like even if you use proper air stones, proper temp, no light leaks and a constant dose of H202 it will still find its way into your system.

Ohiofarmer

Ohiofarmer

the slime specifically has to do with temperature reaching above 69 degress; just to add somthing to this you can add hypoclorous acid to the res to kill the slime while you work on getting your temps down, but this is only a temporary fix good luck.

nebulius

nebulius

I am on the fence right now, doing research on the same problem. Either H202 or Organic Beneficial bacteria, microbes. Also heard hygrozyme, but its wayyyy to expensive. It seems like even if you use proper air stones, proper temp, no light leaks and a constant dose of H202 it will still find its way into your system.

Yea this stuff is a bitch. I feel your pain! Doing DWC bubble buckets and my room temp is 72 res is 68-73 and i keep getting slime every 3 days. Been experimenting with beneficial microbes but no luck with the product I'm using FF microbe brew. Its got great stuff in it but somehow the cyanobacteria (brown slime) keeps coming back. Chillers are too expensive for me (personal medical grow), I think i am going to try my luck in dirt.
I heard that the bacteria needs organic material to grow. I am using FF organic micro nutrient and their non-organic veg nute. Wonder if i switch to all chemical nutes that this will help stop brown slime bacteria? Anyone know?

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

My research has told me that using organic nutrients in an exposed system (hydro, dwc etc.) is asking for trouble. I use all synthetic nutrients. Using organics will give pathogens like pythium a place to grow. Have you tried spraying your plants with a beneficial tea?

Top Bottom