Yellowing and necrosis on leaves mid flower.

• Thread starter labomba
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
labomba

labomba

I'm on 80/20 coco perlite and I often run into these issue leaves start to quickly yellow and brown dying spots. I've (over) fed her up to 1000ppm in veg but she seemed to have taken it fine, she started flowering around 4 weeks ago and I've been feeding her GH trio + calmag and keeping total ppm under 700, this issue started to show badly for the past week or so. Would anyone have an educated guess if this is caused by nutriet/pH, toxicity/lack of cal mag or poor watering? Always watered everyday and recently I've been watering her twice most days as her pot is small as and top Coco was getting dry between waterings.

Yellowing and necrosis on leaves mid flower
Yellowing and necrosis on leaves mid flower 2
Yellowing and necrosis on leaves mid flower 3
Yellowing and necrosis on leaves mid flower 4
S

sinse

Im a new grower but have the same problems about 5-6 weeks into flower. (like clockwork). It can be tough to troubleshoot because plants naturally shift priority to flowers and yellowing of leaves can be normal. (Senescence)...But I am still unsure how much is normal.

if you can catch some runoff, I'd check to see if you have salt build up or PH issues, at week 4 flower its a bit early for this to be happening and it can get much worse if you dont correct it now. Maybe a flush? Curious to see what others say as I'm learning too and mid to late flower is still a challenge for me

labomba

labomba

Im a new grower but have the same problems about 5-6 weeks into flower. (like clockwork). It can be tough to troubleshoot because plants naturally shift priority to flowers and yellowing of leaves can be normal. (Senescence)...But I am still unsure how much is normal.

if you can catch some runoff, I'd check to see if you have salt build up or PH issues, at week 4 flower its a bit early for this to be happening and it can get much worse if you dont correct it now. Maybe a flush? Curious to see what others say as I'm learning too and mid to late flower is still a challenge for me
We both might be lost to what it is, but I assure you that's not normal, the natural flowering burns start on the tips first few weeks of flower and progress very very slowly until end of flower, we are more likely with some sort of nutrient lockout or messed up calmag intake (I think). I've ran a flush (couple waterings only) with half strength solution couple weeks ago too but didn't seem to help much.

I'm sure someone out there has had the same issue and will be able to guide us a bit 😅

labomba

labomba

@sinse just don't panic or try to change anything too abruptly thinking it will destroy your plant, she will power through it, when I had it in my previous plant I've removed the most affected leaves and still got decent buds out of her. Ideally we will find what's wrong and correct it, but worse case scenario it's only gonna affect yield/quality rather than kill your crop.

Poekie

Poekie

Supporter
I'm on 80/20 coco perlite and I often run into these issue leaves start to quickly yellow and brown dying spots. I've (over) fed her up to 1000ppm in veg but she seemed to have taken it fine, she started flowering around 4 weeks ago and I've been feeding her GH trio + calmag and keeping total ppm under 700, this issue started to show badly for the past week or so. Would anyone have an educated guess if this is caused by nutriet/pH, toxicity/lack of cal mag or poor watering? Always watered everyday and recently I've been watering her twice most days as her pot is small as and top Coco was getting dry between waterings.
Looking at the second pic, dark green leaves and bunt tips, i'd say overfeeding.
On the third pic i can see a bug problem, could be spider mite

labomba

labomba

Looking at the second pic, dark green leaves and bunt tips, i'd say overfeeding.
On the third pic i can see a bug problem, could be spider mite
Oh yes they do have mites also which I do run treatment for them every other day amd it's been getting better. But unfortunately I don't think these are not related.

F

Flyingpig2

Probably salt build up in the media. Next run start lower on the ppm. Its much easier to add nutes if needed than the other way around. I'm not a coco grower. I grow in rockwool but its the same principle. Best advise I ever got was to start way low out of the gate and only move up if you need it.

Edit: I rarely if ever go above an EC of 1.0. 1.0 is about 500ppm

Last edited:
FuriousStyles

FuriousStyles

Looks like too much P with the burnt tips. Also looks like a K deficiency just starting with the edges of the leaves yellowing. Which would be about right for week 4-6 when the need for K really ramps up.

I use this week 3 as a top dress works great (takes at least a week to become useful to the plant).
Not saying you need this, but look at the NPK ratio for K.
Best thing I did for my garden was hit high P at start of flower, then cut that in half and hit high K from mid way.
Most plants only need high P till week 4-5, which then slowly declines and falls off by week 7-8
They need high K starting week 4-5 till that falls off at weeks 9-10.
These are average parameters depending on flowering cycle, for 9-10 week plants.
You will need work out how that works with your nutrient line.

S

sinse

@sinse just don't panic or try to change anything too abruptly thinking it will destroy your plant, she will power through it, when I had it in my previous plant I've removed the most affected leaves and still got decent buds out of her. Ideally we will find what's wrong and correct it, but worse case scenario it's only gonna affect yield/quality rather than kill your crop.

No panic and Ive made it to harvest four times now, the bud is amazing. But I do start seeing problems at week 6 of flower, I'm still fine tuning my grow skills.

Anyway, he says he has mites. That could be a very big problem depending on the type. ---If I had mites/bad pests (spider, russell, or root aphids) I'd kill the plant and start over... You dont want those things coming back in your grow room and as far as I know, they are almost imnpossible to get rid of.

I've found that for me, keeping the soil or coco highly aerated so that you can water to runoff is key. Salt build up happens ! I find a good flush (I mean running 8 gallons of pure water through 3 gallons of soil will help get things back on track. )

Also, I'm a bit nervous with flower nutrients now, its easy to go over board with "bloom boosters" etc... I've found too much P can do more damage than good, so I feed a mix of veg and bloom nutrients all the way through flower.

labomba

labomba

Looks like too much P with the burnt tips. Also looks like a K deficiency just starting with the edges of the leaves yellowing. Which would be about right for week 4-6 when the need for K really ramps up.

I use this week 3 as a top dress works great (takes at least a week to become useful to the plant).
Not saying you need this, but look at the NPK ratio for K.
Best thing I did for my garden was hit high P at start of flower, then cut that in half and hit high K from mid way.
Most plants only need high P till week 4-5, which then slowly declines and falls off by week 7-8
They need high K starting week 4-5 till that falls off at weeks 9-10.
These are average parameters depending on flowering cycle, for 9-10 week plants.
You will need work out how that works with your nutrient line.
This is great advice, really help clear things out. I'm on GH trio, I use dechlorinated tap with RO that is a 100ppm then I add around 150ppm cal mag.

The NPK line is this and recommended flower ratio:
Micro 501 (1.4ml)
Gro 216 (0.7ml)
Bloom 054 (2.1ml)

From what I understood I should try less bloom and more grow. Would you think going equals parts at this stage would benefit?

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
What kinds of things can we add through flowering that would give it plenty of P and K naturally so we're not using chemical fertilizers?

FuriousStyles

FuriousStyles

This is great advice, really help clear things out. I'm on GH trio, I use dechlorinated tap with RO that is a 100ppm then I add around 150ppm cal mag.

The NPK line is this and recommended flower ratio:
Micro 501 (1.4ml)
Gro 216 (0.7ml)
Bloom 054 (2.1ml)

From what I understood I should try less bloom and more grow. Would you think going equals parts at this stage would benefit?
i use soil and dry amendments I like "easy does it".

I have not run what you are using so I don't know how quickly the plant can start using what you are running.
I do not want to give bad advice to you regarding your GH product. They have a help line you can call and ask them what they think is best. Just looking at it though I would say increasing the GRO and cutting out the MICRO would be good starting week 5 of any 8-10 week flowering plant..
Don't do anything based off what I say though, call GH first.

Are you in a hydroponic system or auto feeding soil from a reservoir?

labomba

labomba

i use soil and dry amendments I like "easy does it".

I have not run what you are using so I don't know how quickly the plant can start using what you are running.
I do not want to give bad advice to you regarding your GH product. They have a help line you can call and ask them what they think is best. Just looking at it though I would say increasing the GRO and cutting out the MICRO would be good starting week 5 of any 8-10 week flowering plant..
Don't do anything based off what I say though, call GH first.

Are you in a hydroponic system or auto feeding soil from a reservoir?
Yes it's hydro. Coco perlite 80/20. What GH says it's what I've been giving which 1 2 and 3 parts of gro, mic and bloom respectively. But I did run into this issue more than once.
On what you said I would not cut back the micro since it's the only real N source. Tho I will try what you said with one plant, reducing the P and bumping a bit of K by adjusting gro and bloom.

T

TinFoilHat

Use grow nutrients until harvest...and you'll stop having these issues. Or Atleast do 50/50. I use Maxigrow til harvest.

labomba

labomba

Quick update. I've flushed them for a day with a ridiculous amount of dechlorinated water till ppm runoff came close to 200 and readjusted the nutrients with a little more gro to a max of 800ppm and been feeding since yesterday. During the flush the spots have popped increadibly quick, it may be useful for a more accurate diagnosis, does that look like lack of K still?

IMG 20230613 102547
IMG 20230613 102537
IMG 20230613 102537
S

sinse

I've found that it takes a week or two to bounce back after a flush, but it really can elimate many problems including salt buildup and lockout. Whatever deficiency you had will still show for a while and the affected leaves wont repair (or at least for me)... I'd give it a week or so and trim off any of the dying leaves. You should bounce back nicely as long as you dont overfeed...

Bilber

Bilber

By far a professional here.......but......

In my shortish growing experience.....

Usually I'll have 1 or 2 plants that will start doing the same thing.......

My problem......over fed......lights too close.......

I raised my 400w hps up about to 26" above canopy from the 19" I've been at......

Early flower, they love the light close.....
Late flower, they seem to want it less....

I also backed off the nutes.....

50ish/50ish mix peat/perlite
G.H. Flora Trio ( no cal/mag ordered yet 😵‍💫)
I've been feeding, not quite, 1.5x G.H.s recommended dosage.....they've loved it......now they want less.......

Slowwwly feed till run-off......

They love different nute ratios at different times......

Hopefully we'll see our plants through the end without too many more problems.....

20230617 122614

labomba

labomba

By far a professional here.......but......

In my shortish growing experience.....

Usually I'll have 1 or 2 plants that will start doing the same thing.......

My problem......over fed......lights too close.......

I raised my 400w hps up about to 26" above canopy from the 19" I've been at......

Early flower, they love the light close.....
Late flower, they seem to want it less....

I also backed off the nutes.....

50ish/50ish mix peat/perlite
G.H. Flora Trio ( no cal/mag ordered yet 😵‍💫)
I've been feeding, not quite, 1.5x G.H.s recommended dosage.....they've loved it......now they want less.......

Slowwwly feed till run-off......

They love different nute ratios at different times......

Hopefully we'll see our plants through the end without too many more problems.....

View attachment 1994991
How come? Have you not used any calmag on her during veg on coco perlite?

Bilber

Bilber

How come? Have you not used any calmag on her during veg on coco perlite?
I didn't think I would need it with my grow habitat......

I only have a few years under my belt, but I've been improving ever since.......

I believe my Hps is/was too close.....with a touch extra nutes......

I like to run molasses during flower, but I ran out......

Kinda like the cal/mag situation......

When I get it, they get it.........

Top Bottom