Yellowing but buds not ready

• Thread starter FarmerN
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

FarmerN

Near the end of the cycle but buds not ready? Any fixes?
Yellowing but buds not ready

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

About 10 days before chop flush out with cold tap water, this will not hurt plant knock down foxtailing and turn pistils allso will add a bit of frost, 5 days after you flush give 1 more dose of cold tap water, as for the leaves you can prune them off or leave them, I have a bad batch of blueberry autos that refuse to flower so cut light cycle to 12 12 this has messed up my leaves, just ran 2 SOH plants that came out fine, will probably take all flower off plant chop up cure and make canna butter.

F

FarmerN

Thanks for the advice. This was in veg for about 7 weeks than switched to bloom. Has been in bloom for about 8 weeks. It has taken forever to grow. Been feeding each week but with reduced nutrients due to burning past plants. Thanks again.

MacroLogos

MacroLogos

Thanks for the advice. This was in veg for about 7 weeks than switched to bloom. Has been in bloom for about 8 weeks. It has taken forever to grow. Been feeding each week but with reduced nutrients due to burning past plants. Thanks again.

I'm not super strong in the chemistry. However...

I'd defoliate anything damaged.

You're about 2 weeks away from harvest, right? I'd seriously consider letting it ride and letting the buds suck out the stored nutrients in the fan leaves and keep defoliation happening as fan leaves die.

It doesn't look great, but it IS looking good.

You'll do better next crop because you know your feed mix can be a tad stronger for this strain.

Whatever you decide, don't get extreme.

Maybe a 10% stronger feed mix, one last time, could help.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Once they've gone yellow like that there's no recovery for them. cut / pluck them off and continue as normal. A bit light on nutes you can fix next time if you grow the same strain,. That will also happen if you let them run dry, once they hang down to the stalk dry if they recover at all they'll go yellow real fast, specially that late in flower. I know all too well with these new fking fabric pots in the summer.

J.dub

J.dub

I think the plant looks great, honestly. Yeah, if it's obvious that the plant cut off supply to the petiole of a leaf, and it's yellow and droopy, then pluck it off. I see a few obvious ones. Otherwise, you got a nice fade going, which is expected in a soil grow, and it's only going to up the smoke-ability if you do it right and let it finish. Just don't over-water this last week or two. That yellowing is mostly a sign of Nitrogen being low in the media, but if you have enough micro-nutrients left in the soil, some P and K, availiability, and a healthy biome, you should be alright. You might have gone a little light on nutes, but I prefer seeing this than a bunch of dark green leaves at harvest, or worse, nute burn. . . .

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

As stated feed a bit more next time and run veg nutrients to the end of week 3 flower.

leave the leaves for the plant to draw the mobil nutrients that it needs for bud development. When the plant is done with them a tiny pull on them and they will fall off like nothing. If they resist then the plant can still draw some nutrients from them

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
As stated feed a bit more next time and run veg nutrients to the end of week 3 flower.

leave the leaves for the plant to draw the mobil nutrients that it needs for bud development. When the plant is done with them a tiny pull on them and they will fall off like nothing. If they resist then the plant can still draw some nutrients from them
Okay, I thought it would draw energy away from bud production by using energy to repair lost causes so cutting them saves energy by removing something that's going to die anyways. I'm not arguing this, you da man I'm just going with grey matter and habit.

If a few leaves cut off because they're yellowing and that draws energy away from bud production what does mass defoliating do then in early flower?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Okay, I thought it would draw energy away from bud production by using energy to repair lost causes so cutting them saves energy by removing something that's going to die anyways. I'm not arguing this, you da man I'm just going with grey matter and habit.

If a few leaves cut off because they're yellowing and that draws energy away from bud production what does mass defoliating do then in early flower?
They actually yellow because the plant is robbing nutrients from them and not putting nutrients back into them. That causes them to be unable to photosynthesize and this they turn yellow.

Plants will naturally shed larger older leas efficient leaves naturally. But part of the thier survival tactics are to divert all energy need to ensure nee growth continues and it will do whatever it has to in order to do this. Short on a mobile nutrient…. It robs lower leaves.

This is why you always see a moble nutrient issue in the oldeser largest leaves first. Immobile with show in brand new growth

plants dont waste energy repairing leaves instead they grow new ones

J.dub

J.dub

By the time a leaf is yellowing, that ship has sailed. It's already drawn the Nitrogen out of the leaf, and you're seeing the effect of this.
By the time the plant allows a leaf to be cut off, THAT ship has sailed. That leaf is no longer useful to the plant, and it needs to be yanked.

Mass defol is a little different animal, and less so related to nutrients, which is your current issue. I think next grow you could benefit from deciding what type of grow exactly you're trying to do. Living soil, with a really good base mix, and using the water-only method and occasional compost teas/foliars or top-dressing? Or a store-bought/weak soil, feeding base nutes on a schedule. It's kind of hard to do it both ways, otherwise you end up in this ping-pong game of over/under watering and nute burn/deficiency.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

By the time a leaf is yellowing, that ship has sailed. It's already drawn the Nitrogen out of the leaf, and you're seeing the effect of this.
By the time the plant allows a leaf to be cut off, THAT ship has sailed. That leaf is no longer useful to the plant, and it needs to be yanked.

Mass defol is a little different animal, and less so related to nutrients, which is your current issue. I think next grow you could benefit from deciding what type of grow exactly you're trying to do. Living soil, with a really good base mix, and using the water-only method and occasional compost teas/foliars or top-dressing? Or a store-bought/weak soil, feeding base nutes on a schedule. It's kind of hard to do it both ways, otherwise you end up in this ping-pong game of over/under watering and nute burn/deficiency.
No when the plant drop the leaf its done with it… now removing a damaged or infected leaf is beneficial to cut it but there is no benefit to oulling a leaf until the plant aborts it in a case like this.

unless this is what you meant

Last edited:
J.dub

J.dub

No when the plant drop the leaf its done with it… now removing a damaged or infected leaf is beneficial to cut it but there is no benefit to oulling a leaf until the plant aborts it in a case like this.

unless this is what you meant
Yep, that's exactly what I mean.

I say pull the ones that are soft enough, don't overwater, and ride it out. I really think OP is gonna be fine.

MacroLogos

MacroLogos

It focuses everything (energy & elements) into what remains.

Some people will focuse everything into a single XL cola. This creates issues during drying & curing (molds & fungus deeper inside the buds).

Focusing on a few main colas yeilds nice mid sized colas.

MacroLogos

MacroLogos

While this is a bit off topic of the Original Post (OP), it has segwayed into this topic:

This approach to "Mass Defoliation", from my pov, is one of the best. Kyle does a great job of explaining 'Supercropping'.

You'll have to watch it on YouTube, however.

Top Bottom