Yellowing leaf edges

• Thread starter vtinca
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
V

vtinca

Interesting problem with my bathtub grow. Yellowing leaf edges middle and upper part of plant (newer growth). I filled out the questionnaire below with my info IN CAPITALS and have attached pictures. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

1. Are you growing from seed or clones? CLONES
2. How old are your plants? 1 MONTH (USING AS MOTHERS)
3. How tall are your plants? 14 INCHES
4. What type of hydro system are you using? COCO HAND WATER 3x PER WEEK DRAIN TO WASTE
5. What brand/type of nutrients are you using? HOUSE AND GARDEN PLUS CAL MAG(HEAVY DOSE) AND SILICA
6. What is the Ph of your nutrient solution? 5.8
7. What is the PPM/EC of your tap water? 60 (R/O WATER)
8. What is the PPM/EC of your nutrient solution? 1400 (this includes 2tsp per gallon cal/mag. If not used deficiency shows)
9. What is the temperature of your nutrient solution? 60 - 70
10. Does your PPM/EC show a rise or fall when you do your daily PPM check? SAME
11. Does your pH show a rise or fall when you do your daily check? RISE
12. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything? YES, ONCE EVERY TWO WEEKS WITH MAGIC GREEN.
13. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? (HPS, MH, fluorescent, halogen, incandescent "plant lights") 8 BULB FLORESCENT
14. How close are your lights to the plants? 2-4 INCHES LEFT MY ROOMATE IN CHARGE HE MAY HAVE ALLOWED TO GET VERY CLOSE.
15. What size is your grow space in square feet? 8 SQ/FT (BATHTUB)
16. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space? HOUSE KEPT AT 68-70. PROBABLY 75-80 UNDER LIGHT.
17. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space? MINIMAL
18. How much experience do you have growing? NEW IN COCO

Yellowing leaf edges
Yellowing leaf edges 2
Dr. Detroit

Dr. Detroit

Iron deficiency, likely brought upon by a pH imbalance.

freegrow

freegrow

Premium Member
Supporter
looks like a zinc def to me got micro ?

Scrappy-doo

Scrappy-doo

Premium Member
Supporter
Holy cow bro your ppm's are 1400? That's more than triple what I would be using for plants that small. I run coco and use H&G.

I see several potential problems.

The first thing I recommend is a heavy flush of your plants immediately with warm water. Flush them until your ppm's in the runoff are 200 or lower.

Then once they're thoroughly flushed introduce a light mix of cal mag, silica, and cocos A and B at like 400 ppm's. That's where they should be IMO at this stage.

Now, as far as other potential issues...

1- are your fluorescent lights t-5's? If so then your plants are way too close to them. My plants are never closer than 6 inches from my t-5's or they start to show signs of heat stress.

2- you mentioned you are running drain to waste 3 times a week. Are you catching the runoff in a drip tray so they can drink while waiting for the next watering? Is the coco staying wet constantly and consistently? If you are letting it dry out at all then salts can build up, especially with that unbelievably high ppm dosage, and screw your plants up royally.

I highly recommend getting some drip clean from H&G as that will help prevent salts from building up.

But first thing is flush those gals and they should recover.

Remember, less is more with coco. You're feeding them every time you water so they don't need all that much.

Keep your ppm's low and feed/water them consistently. Daily is ideal with hand watering. Or if you're lazy let the drip tray fill up a little and you won't have to water as much.

Top Bottom