Yellowing leaves in veg help please

• Thread starter SHiNi
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
If the plant without the drain holes is suffering, that might be a clue. Maybe break out the drill! The black containers probably get pretty hot during the heat of the day. And sometimes having them up against the wall can make it even hotter. Are you sure you’re not slowly boiling, the roots? I’ve done it! Just two cents!

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Do you check the weight of the pots when you water? If you wait 3-4 days between waterings and it's very hot and dry weather, you might need to water more often. The heat will dry out those pots quick.

But you need to lift the pot to see how heavy they are when they are fully saturated, then everyday check the weight of it to see how light they are getting. Outdoors in the summer time in a small pot, you might get to the point when they need water everyday.

SHiNi

SHiNi

If the plant without the drain holes is suffering, that might be a clue. Maybe break out the drill! The black containers probably get pretty hot during the heat of the day. And sometimes having them up against the wall can make it even hotter. Are you sure you’re not slowly boiling, the roots? I’ve done it! Just two cents!
I have moved them to a more shaded area on a wooden surface during the heat they have been on that stove since I got them so do you suggest I drill holes in the side of the pot ? And I was thinking about that at one time when I looked at the other one not having a single problem besides slower growth but was getting the exact same nutes.

SHiNi

SHiNi

Do you check the weight of the pots when you water? If you wait 3-4 days between waterings and it's very hot and dry weather, you might need to water more often. The heat will dry out those pots quick.

But you need to lift the pot to see how heavy they are when they are fully saturated, then everyday check the weight of it to see how light they are getting. Outdoors in the summer time in a small pot, you might get to the point when they need water everyday.
I stick my finger in the soil and feel the moisture I use a hole finger and not just 2 knuckles because that pot is deep. I usually get a sign from the one in the airpot if water is needed aswell because if she droops of thirst then the other one is low on water. I got 1 airpot to see how it fares in our hot climate I thought that would be the one giving problems not the plastic one. On very hot days I water in the morning and check them when I get back that's 9 hours later I give only 500ml each if needed.

SHiNi

SHiNi

@Oldchucky About that maybe slowly cooking the roots did your plants show the same symptoms? And if so what can i use to insulate the pot from the heat?

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
If I was going to drill, I would Swiss cheese the hell out of it! It sure won’t hurt anything! And if the problem persists, I would transplant out of that, shake a lot of dirt off the roots, and put it in some fresh ocean forest or something similar in a 20 gallon minimum light colored cloth pot. I grow where it is hotter than that. It’s all about keeping the route zone. Cool as possible. And evaporation does that!

SHiNi

SHiNi

If I was going to drill, I would Swiss cheese the hell out of it! It sure won’t hurt anything! And if the problem persists, I would transplant out of that, shake a lot of dirt off the roots, and put it in some fresh ocean forest or something similar in a 20 gallon minimum light colored cloth pot. I grow where it is hotter than that. It’s all about keeping the route zone. Cool as possible. And evaporation does that!
Thanks brother I appreciate it I'll get right to making a grater and you have definitely changed my perspective on fabric and air pots will be going with fabric next season definitely. On the water and nutes thing should I just to stick to plain water still ?

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Just sticking a finger in really doesn’t tell you what’s going on in the bottom half! It may be soaking wet down there. Especially was not a lot of drainage. I I doubt if you need a lot of food for plants of that size. Maybe you are over feeding them. I would want to know what is going on with the soil moisture wise in the bottom half of that pot. Maybe you can stick your hand and arm in far enough along the edge and work your way down to the lower portion of the pot and see what it feels like. these plants are tough.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Yeah, I would go with straight water for a week or two and see what happens. I’ll bet the one without the holes takes three or four times longer to dry back, then the one with the holes!

Last edited:
SHiNi

SHiNi

Yeah, I would go with straight water for a week or two and see what happens. I’ll bet the one without the holes takes three or four times longer to dry back, then the one with the holes!
So you suggesting the problem could be in the roots ? Watering too much starving the roots of oxygen and creating anaerobic conditions in the bottom half of the pot? The sun got me it's 8:30pm here now so I'll finish tommrow take some pics of the roots and we take it from there ?

SHiNi

SHiNi

Then I will continue with the straight water thanks bro 🙏 I appreciate it alot looking at her feels like I'm looking at my child who's sick and it's not nice I really appreciate the help

SHiNi

SHiNi

Just did that and it's wet at the bottom past the halfway mark but dry at the top quarter
Just sticking a finger in really doesn’t tell you what’s going on in the bottom half! It may be soaking wet down there. Especially was not a lot of drainage. I I doubt if you need a lot of food for plants of that size. Maybe you are over feeding them. I would want to know what is going on with the soil moisture wise in the bottom half of that pot. Maybe you can stick your hand and arm in far enough along the edge and work your way down to the lower portion of the pot and see what it feels like. these plants are tough.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
I think it’s a good place to start. You’ve seen it 100 times. Pot plants love dry feet! But it is tough to accurately diagnose problems from a few pictures. Until you figure out what is going on Deep in the soil it is all just a guessing game. everyone says they are junk, but I use the long probe single probe, moisture meters to keep an ion what is happening deep inside the pot. 15 bucks. It routinely exceeds 100° between June and September here. And luckily about 20% humidity. So I have found that 30 gallon light colored cloth pots are the ticket! With a fair amount of perlite. But it’s expensive in the beginning, but then you can reuse the soil. Probably get by with 20 gallon.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Then try drilling some holes and don’t water it so often! What the hell? See what happens! Lots of holes! L O L! And don’t get too attached to your plants!😄

SHiNi

SHiNi

I think it’s a good place to start. You’ve seen it 100 times. Pot plants love dry feet! But it is tough to accurately diagnose problems from a few pictures. Until you figure out what is going on Deep in the soil it is all just a guessing game. everyone says they are junk, but I use the long probe single probe, moisture meters to keep an ion what is happening deep inside the pot. 15 bucks. It routinely exceeds 100° between June and September here. And luckily about 20% humidity. So I have found that 30 gallon light colored cloth pots are the ticket! With a fair amount of perlite. But it’s expensive in the beginning, but then you can reuse the soil. Probably get by with 20 gallon.
So a moisture meter is on the shopping list for next week and thanks bro so overwatering was the cause I'll take her out of the pot tommrow morning before I go to work as I don't want to delay the rehabilitation. I see it's 33C tommorow and suggestions to dry out the pot quick besides the holes just checked I have about 2 litres of soil left so a full replant in a full fresh batch ain't happening I do have 20 litres of spent soil from previous run can I replant in that ? And wow 20 gallons is 75 litres that's big but I guess it keeps the roots nice and cool I'll invest in that for next season or you think I should go for straight in the ground next season. I the roots are squishy tommorow morning can I do a root trim ? Fingers crossed its not

SHiNi

SHiNi

Then try drilling some holes and don’t water it so often! What the hell? See what happens! Lots of holes! L O L! And don’t get too attached to your plants!😄
Lol 😆 I can't they all I think about I'm so attached that I spaced training out for a branch a day 😅 i will be checking the water level from the bottom holes from now on and peak through the newly made ones 😂 bro I feel so relieved you won't believe it Thanks a million bro I appreciate you 100 thanks again I'm gonna go sleep early tonight to get that pics for you asap

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
I don’t think I would take it out of the pot unless I was going to transplant it. If you drill enough holes in the sides and bottom and get some airflow around and under, it will dry out eventually. Watering may not be the problem. But you have to start somewhere. Or they recover from under watering a hell of a lot faster than overwatering! We will see what happens!

Top Bottom