Yields, Pressurized Open Blast Vs. Closed Loop

• Thread starter Ryesty
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ryesty

Ryesty

I open blasted for years using glass and screen or coffee filters for personal use for many years. I recently used a pretty nice closed loop setup of a friend for a couple runs and I was very happy with the yields. Good product was coming out at around 20 % I think the lowest yield was 15% on some not so great trim. I can’t afford a closed loop system for a few months and I have quite a bit of trim to get through. Open blasting just isn’t giving me enough return. I’m getting around 10%. I have seen the pressurized columns that you allow to soak and build up pressure then recover your product. These systems are a lot more affordable for me right now until I can get a closed loop system. But my question is will these type of systems give me a better yield than the standard open blast technique. Will the yields compare to a closed loop system?

Last edited:
MirrorZen

MirrorZen

I open blasted for years using glass and screen or coffee filters for personal use for many years. I recently used a pretty nice closed loop setup of a friend for a couple runs and I was very happy with the yields. Good product was coming out at around 20 % I think the lowest yield was 15% on some not so great trim. I can’t afford a closed loop system for a few months and I have quite a bit of trim to get through. Open blasting just isn’t giving me enough return. I’m getting around 10%. I have seen the pressurized columns that you allow to soak and build up pressure then recover your product. These systems are a lot more affordable for me right now until I can get a closed loop system. But my question is will these type of systems give me a better yield than the standard open blast technique. Will the yields compare to a closed loop system?
Pressurized column comes close, but much more dangerous than a typical cls. Basically making a pipe bomb. CLS is the only way to go if you can, the experience alone can land you extraction work that you wouldn't normally get. Also with CLS you can distill your solvent, so it gets rid of the nasty mystery oil. Just much cleaner and better with CLS. I would wait for the CLS, because as I said, the pressurized column isn't safe and I wouldn't want to test it's limit...

Ryesty

Ryesty

Pressurized column comes close, but much more dangerous than a typical cls. Basically making a pipe bomb. CLS is the only way to go if you can, the experience alone can land you extraction work that you wouldn't normally get. Also with CLS you can distill your solvent, so it gets rid of the nasty mystery oil. Just much cleaner and better with CLS. I would wait for the CLS, because as I said, the pressurized column isn't safe and I wouldn't want to test it's limit...
It’s is scary especially after running a closed loop and seeing how much safer they are than the open systems

MirrorZen

MirrorZen

It’s is scary especially after running a closed loop and seeing how much safer they are than the open systems
Yeah exactly. Real game changer. I still have my open blast set up for shits and giggles in storage but I won't touch it as long as I have a CLS. Plus a 4lb column stainless steel vs what I thought was big 1/2 lb glass column. Love how much more I can get done lol

Ryesty

Ryesty

Yeah exactly. Real game changer. I still have my open blast set up for shits and giggles in storage but I won't touch it as long as I have a CLS. Plus a 4lb column stainless steel vs what I thought was big 1/2 lb glass column. Love how much more I can get done lol

Ryesty

Ryesty

Yeah running a 4 Lb column will get some work done quick. Especially when comparing to open blasting. How long does your 4 Lb column take to run. I assume 4 hours. My buddy has a 500 gram column and a 1000 gram column. It seemed to run about an hour per 500 grams. Does that seem like normal approx times. I’ve only worked with the one machine

MirrorZen

MirrorZen

Yeah running a 4 Lb column will get some work done quick. Especially when comparing to open blasting. How long does your 4 Lb column take to run. I assume 4 hours. My buddy has a 500 gram column and a 1000 gram column. It seemed to run about an hour per 500 grams. Does that seem like normal approx times. I’ve only worked with the one machine
4 hours?!?!??!?! No, I recover 1lb a minute sometimes faster, I get that run done in an hr to an hr and a half. I got a piece of equipment coming in that should make it down to 40-50 min to recover. I'm sure around here somewhere I explained how..

MirrorZen

MirrorZen

Solvents never go over their boiling point. That's about all I will say, I have been consulting on this process.

Ryesty

Ryesty

I meant an hour per a pound of material.
He has a MK 3 and it took him about 2 hours to run 2 lbs. I would like to find a machine that runs faster than that. Your machine can run a 4 Lb column in less than2 hours? That is awesome. What type of machine is it

MirrorZen

MirrorZen

I meant an hour per a pound of material.
He has a MK 3 and it took him about 2 hours to run 2 lbs. I would like to find a machine that runs faster than that. Your machine can run a 4 Lb column in less than2 hours? That is awesome. What type of machine is it
Yeah my new piece coming in will help me recover 4lbs of material, in very easily less than an hour. Actually it should take about a half hr per run :D I already can do it in an hr if I try hard enough. My machine was hand built by my buddy just from parts at a shop call Glacial tanks. He taught me recently how to build my own with parts. All are QC tested to be sold in America, makes for a much cheaper over head instead of ppl paying some one to build it for them. I like being able to customize and use critical thinking to make my system better when i learn something new. If I didn't know the ins and outs of a system, I would have to keep buying the newest and coolest.
CLS for life, getting a 25 lb ethanol extractor soon, making it so I don't have to run crude anymore through the CLS. Should make about 5 lbs of distillate a day, that's when I will be happy!

Ryesty

Ryesty

Yeah my new piece coming in will help me recover 4lbs of material, in very easily less than an hour. Actually it should take about a half hr per run :D I already can do it in an hr if I try hard enough. My machine was hand built by my buddy just from parts at a shop call Glacial tanks. He taught me recently how to build my own with parts. All are QC tested to be sold in America, makes for a much cheaper over head instead of ppl paying some one to build it for them. I like being able to customize and use critical thinking to make my system better when i learn something new. If I didn't know the ins and

gumby420

gumby420

4 hours?!?!??!?! No, I recover 1lb a minute sometimes faster, I get that run done in an hr to an hr and a half. I got a piece of equipment coming in that should make it down to 40-50 min to recover. I'm sure around here somewhere I explained how..

I still think its crazy you are getting a lb a minute. I can't hit that with two recovery pumps going. people are trying to hit that with the new 15k master vapors pump. what are your temps and PSI on collection pot and solvent tank? and you're running a cmep if I remember correctly. I'm running a cmep and a trs into their own ports, not inline. my collection pot usually tops around 40 psi after vapor assist, the jackets are running at 80*. my solvent tank is usually -40* and sits about 15 psi. unless your running high temps thats the only way I could see a lb a minute.

gumby420

gumby420

I used closed column before switching to open blasting and my yields dropped when I switched to a CLS. But thats because theres even less fats/lipids in it, and I was single solvent dewaxing with the closed column. If you can afford a CLS with a few extra months of saving up, save up, its so much safer its worth it. and you can get a better product if your tek is correct.

MirrorZen

MirrorZen

I still think its crazy you are getting a lb a minute. I can't hit that with two recovery pumps going. people are trying to hit that with the new 15k master vapors pump. what are your temps and PSI on collection pot and solvent tank? and you're running a cmep if I remember correctly. I'm running a cmep and a trs into their own ports, not inline. my collection pot usually tops around 40 psi after vapor assist, the jackets are running at 80*. my solvent tank is usually -40* and sits about 15 psi. unless your running high temps thats the only way I could see a lb a minute.
Come up to Oregon sometime and I will give you a consultation, :) no offense not going to make that certain info known/public, as I am already doing consultations to show ppl how to recover 5x faster than before. I feel like I have already told you though, sounds like a nice setup you got, 2 pumps seem a little overkill imho. My PSI sits as high as 55 psi during recovery, basically my pump can't keep up fast enough for how fast I'm recovering. And my solvent tank sits at about -30. Btw how long have you had your CMEPs? 9 months here and everyone tells me they start leaking and shitting out around 6 months. I use mine 5 days a week so idk what ppl are doing differently than me. Just curious.

Last edited:
MirrorZen

MirrorZen

Thought about it more, 2 pumps isn't overkill if you are able to recover a lb per minute or faster. I could use another

gumby420

gumby420

Come up to Oregon sometime and I will give you a consultation, :) no offense not going to make that certain info known/public, as I am already doing consultations to show ppl how to recover 5x faster than before. I feel like I have already told you though, sounds like a nice setup you got, 2 pumps seem a little overkill imho. My PSI sits as high as 55 psi during recovery, basically my pump can't keep up fast enough for how fast I'm recovering. And my solvent tank sits at about -30. Btw how long have you had your CMEPs? 9 months here and everyone tells me they start leaking and shitting out around 6 months. I use mine 5 days a week so idk what ppl are doing differently than me. Just curious.
the only way id believe you are recovering a lb/min with a cmep is if you had a stop watch next to your scale, which is how everyone on IG records their recovery times. haha you didnt know what passive meant, I don't think I need a consultation from you, and still don't believe theres a difference between recovery and solvent tank...im gonna tag you in a post with the master vapor pump thats 15k and still barely hits 1lb/min. you either have the golden cmep (I've had mine for a little over a year, no leaks) or somethings not adding up. believe me, I wish I was recovering a lb/min, I just don't buy it. I've seen your IG, put up a post of you recovering a lb/min and you will blow everyones minds on IG.

MirrorZen

MirrorZen

the only way id believe you are recovering a lb/min with a cmep is if you had a stop watch next to your scale, which is how everyone on IG records their recovery times. haha you didnt know what passive meant, I don't think I need a consultation from you, and still don't believe theres a difference between recovery and solvent tank...im gonna tag you in a post with the master vapor pump thats 15k and still barely hits 1lb/min. you either have the golden cmep (I've had mine for a little over a year, no leaks) or somethings not adding up. believe me, I wish I was recovering a lb/min, I just don't buy it. I've seen your IG, put up a post of you recovering a lb/min and you will blow everyones minds on IG.
Okay buddy lol. I will record it, you better come up for that consult lol. It's funny to me that you tagged me on that post, and he literally gives off his secret to doing so that fast.... How can you not see that? How long is it taking you to recover? No worries, I will post one up soon of my tank fillin during recovery. No stop watch, not going to buy one just for this, just a simple 1 minute or so video to prove to you.

MirrorZen

MirrorZen

BTW if you were halfway decent and messaged me privately and asked I would've given it to you freely. I will tag ya in that video when I get it.

gumby420

gumby420

BTW if you were halfway decent and messaged me privately and asked I would've given it to you freely. I will tag ya in that video when I get it.
I would have loved to talk in a PM but my messages don't work on this site, I mostly use ICmag, theres waaaay more knowledgable extractors on there too. (thats not a dig at you, just stating there are a ton of really knowledgeable extractors on there, many of whom have O chem degrees).

Latest posts

Top Bottom