• Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Bobby Smith

Never been to Montana, but this article is awesome (lifted from The Journal):

On the Great Montana Marijuana Mutiny

By Ashby Jones
Wowza.

This has to be the most extreme example of jury nullification we’ve ever heard of. More like not-yet-a-jury nullification.

Let us explain.

Last week, prosecutors in Missoula, Mont., attempted to seat a jury for a criminal trial involving a man who was caught with a small amount of marijuana.

But the jury wouldn’t, well, sit. According to this story in the Missoulian, juror after jury made it clear they wouldn’t convict someone over a “couple buds” of pot.

“No, they said, one after the other,” wrote Missoulian reporter Gwen Florio. “No way would they convict somebody for having a 16th of an ounce.”

District Judge Dusty Deschamps surveyed the jury pool and concluded that a jury might be hard to seat.

So he called a recess, during which time the prosecutor and defense attorney worked out a deal.

The defendant, Touray Cornell, wound up entering an Alford plea, in which he didn’t admit guilt.

The plea memorandum filed by his attorney states: “Public opinion, as revealed by the reaction of a substantial portion of the members of the jury called to try the charges on Dec. 16, 2010, is not supportive of the state’s marijuana law and appeared to prevent any conviction from being obtained simply because an unbiased jury did not appear available under any circumstances.”

“Bizarre,” the defense attorney called it.

In his nearly 30 years as a prosecutor and judge, Deschamps said he’s never seen anything like it.

http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2010/12/22/on-the-great-montana-marijuana-mutiny/?mod=djemlawblog_t

sanvanalona

sanvanalona

Thanks man, that happened in my town here. Pretty amazing i must say myself, hopefully we can continue down that path of decency!

T

time2shine

this is geat.. hope we start seeing this alot more often. :party0044:
way to go fellow zootowners

M

MTgrower

Missoula is magical. I'm dead serious. We really DO like it here! Thank you fellow Missoulians!

C

c4NN4daze

This is a cool post my dude. Read all the other posts to and agree and support. It's things like this that need to happen more often.

hotRod....jimmy fuckin' shreads!!!! Love it.

Jack Dupp

Jack Dupp

Missoula County has already passed an initiative making Adult Marijuana offenses the lowest priority to law enforcement.

In November 2006, Missoula County voters voted on Initiative MSLA-2006-02, commonly
referred to as Initiative 2 or simply “the marijuana initiative”. The stated purpose of the
Initiative is to “alter law enforcement priorities and make adult marijuana offenses the lowest
law enforcement priority in Missoula County”. Almost 55% of county voters supported the
Initiative, with support strongest in the city of Missoula, where several precincts reported over
80% voter support.

Link...

All I see is someone who understands the law and exercised his right to invoke a jury. There were quite a few upset Missoula County residents when Missoula City PO were still arresting folks for possession, after the initiative passed. This outcome doesn't surprise me one bit.

Jurors, as the representatives of the people, hold no personal agenda during any trial and most certainly not the government’s agenda. Let us not forget that the prosecutors, judges, arresting officers and the forensic investigators in mostcases are all a part of and receive their paychecks from government, with personal power bases to build and personal careers to protect through the productivity of successful prosecutions resulting in convictions. Jurors have no such stake in the outcome, and are, in fact, the only truly objective individuals in the courtroom.

The role of our jurors is to protect private citizens from dangerous government laws and actions. Many existing laws erode and deny the rights of the people. Jurors protect against tyranny by refusing to convict harmless people. Our country’s founders planned and expected that we, the people, would exercise this power and authority to judge the law as well as the facts every time we serve as jurors. Juries are the last peaceful defense of our civil liberties.
link... http://fija.org/

BTW - The Fully Informed Jury Association (FIJA) is located in Helena. You have to love Montanans.:evilgrin0040:

Jack Dupp

Jack Dupp

I just received an email from Montana NORML.

They also talk about Initiative 2. NORML included a link to a grievance report if arrested by LEO for possession.

BakedReality

BakedReality

Bean Poppin..
Supporter
That's what's up Missoula....Hell yeah...if the rest of the country could see how easy it is to stand up! hell if we could all do it together....we just need to keep making progress!

Top Bottom