You should switch to DWC.

• Thread starter yellowhead
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
yellowhead

yellowhead

Deep water culture is a fuck around to set up, say, compared to coco. But if you manage to get the system right, its far less maintenance, and it’s also easy just to dump the system between crops. I know many people may disagree, but I’ve never used anything other than GH nutes and PK, no antimicrobials, no enzymes etc., just keep the water at a frigid 63 degrees. Outside temps around 75-80. Result is explosive growth of clean white roots, and never once had issues with root rot.

Last edited:
yellowhead

yellowhead

I have a home made undercurrent system that is fully insulated. The chiller hardly ever needs to run because of this. Plants are in 120L chiller boxes. 3’ pipes running between the boxes are sheathed in 6’ flexible ducting and the space between is filled with expanda foam for heat insulation. The only part that isn’t insulated is the pump that circulates the water, but this is directly under the air inlet where cool air comes in. Chiller boxes also don't let and light into the system. The only reason the water warms up at all is because the air pump pumps relatively warm air in. I keep the water at 63 degrees, NEVER more. Yield is almost always 1.1g / watt of light.

Cupid Stunt

Cupid Stunt

This system will be my next...

out of curiosity... what pumps do you guy recommend...was looking at some of the hailea's to run 4 x 5GAL buckets...

any suggestion on high quality air pumps...

yellowhead

yellowhead

I love UC style systems for their simplicity. Dumping the system means turning a tap. Compare that to hours of flushing coco every week. When you get UC systems right they are hands down the best type of system out there, but in my experience, they are very unforgiving if something goes wrong…

A picture is worth a thousand words. Sounds cool I'd just like to see it.

True, but also far more incriminating. I feel reasonably comfortable discussing details, less so posting photos. Words alone are poor evidence and I'd prefer to keep it that way for security reasons. I'm not out to prove myself, just sharing experiences. Make of that what you will. :)

Stoeger

Stoeger

I just started a DWC. Again.
First try got root rot in a week.

I did a lot of reading, and dumped the whole system. Too hard to fix with what little money I had invested.

Started over, new everything.
New bucket, air pump, lines, stones. RO water. Insulated bucket. NO Nutes Straight water. Perilite. Home made solo cup
basket.

Temp runs at 64 degrees.
One week later, here are the results.
IMG 0109
20140626 194451

Cupid Stunt

Cupid Stunt

What air pumps are you using..and what was the cause of your root rot..

Cheers

Stoeger

Stoeger

I'm just using a aquarium fish pump. cheap one from walmart.
I'm not sure what caused the root rot. that's why i started with everything all new.

I now have plenty of air bubbles, insulated the bucket to keep the temps down. And will start with adding some cal/mag , make sure eevrything stays healthy, then add some nutes, slowly, hopefully this one won't get the rot.

Really looking forward to a good run. I have seen some REALLY GOOD runs using dwc!

Also, i put the reflectex over the cup and lid, to help keep the light out.

Owlfarm

Owlfarm

I'm curious about the chiller boxes you use for your buckets. What exactly are they? Sounds like an ingenious system. Mine has some serious heat loss through the buckets and pipes.

N

noone88

Consistency is key for future growers and DWC doesn't have the consistency needed.

UCMENOW

UCMENOW

Water culture is certainly a dance, but once you know the dance steps its a far more rythmic experience.

They've got that shit dialed in now days. No doubt there's been a learning curve over the years but for professional caliber growers, water culture does offer consistency.

Approach with caution.

straincreation

straincreation

I love UC style systems for their simplicity. Dumping the system means turning a tap. Compare that to hours of flushing coco every week. When you get UC systems right they are hands down the best type of system out there, but in my experience, they are very unforgiving if something goes wrong…

True, but also far more incriminating. I feel reasonably comfortable discussing details, less so posting photos. Words alone are poor evidence and I'd prefer to keep it that way for security reasons. I'm not out to prove myself, just sharing experiences. Make of that what you will. :)
Used to be the same way. Just this year after 9yrs growin have I been able to let my colors fly. mind you I am legal and always have been, except when I was 16 and 17. As soon as I hit 18 I got my script. And been legal since.

My fear not only came from the criminal aspect, but the people aspect. Ive had rippers before and man I can tell you its one of the worst feelings I personally have ever experienced. after that I swallowed the key and that was that. Had to move and do all that stuff shit was f'd up. So I feel ya maybe one day. Maybe. You will, all who else have these felling will be able to post it like its tobacco, tomatoes, home brew kits etc. Etc.

About the subject. I grow soilish always have done soilish,exept that one year. Which was fun just not the product I wanted or the passion to go into my garden to check electronic elements, thus taking my attention away from what It needed to be on my girls . Also the first time I ever had to deal with pests. After 4 yrs of laughin at people with mites cause I never seen um in my garden. RAs on the last run of 3. Never again. sad shit it was, those fuckers.
anyways sorry to ramble pretty baked...
So no hate on dwc grow on growers. Dirt,nft, aero, coco, spag, perlite, really doesnt matter. We are all fightin the good fight here, egos just get in the way.
Happy farmin;)

Top Bottom