Your thoughts on Fem. seeds

• Thread starter alphaferret
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

claudacio

I see all the points against fem seeds but I think alot has changed in the past few years with the way fem seeds are made, at least by the more well known feminized seed breeders like barneys etc.... I know it doesnt go for all breeders but stressing the plants into herman isnt the right way, the colloidal silver method is better than that from what I've read and I am guessing when I say 99.9% of true breeders dont stress their plants with light etc... to get feminized seed. But there isnt that much difference in phenotype if theres any at all, thats the good part of it or at least thats why all these breeders are doing it. All these clone only strains (which in some opinions should remain that way) can be sold in seed form. Thats why feminized seed has gotten so big as of recently, the ability to produce the same plant time and time again and it being female all of the time. The reputable female seed breeders of the world put the work in to make sure the strains are stable and hermaphrodite traits that pop up are mostly due to stress at some point or another and would turn any plant hermie. My last grow I did a whole crop of feminized seed, I got one un-pollinated seed out of about 30 plants (8 or 9 plants from seed, the rest were clones of those) and that was due to the stress I put it through seeing it was my first grow, and it was the plant that was closest to the tent door so I imagine the few times I walked out of the room without turning the main light off got to that one.

I do think feminized seed is good for those that need to grow 100% female every time and cant afford the time to sex plants etc... but as its been said many times before this, dont breed with them and if you do, dont put them out there for the rest of the world to do the same with. Feminized seed is also a way for breeders to put their seeds out in the world and make it impossible for others to steal their genetics (not cool IMO) but thats how the world is.

As I said my first grow was with feminized seed, all from barneys farm, not a single hermie aside from that one single seed that popped up. But for my current and future grows, I'll be using regular seed stock.

deep buddy

deep buddy

fem'd = whack. more work should be done with regular breeding not playing to the whims of the market. IMO. that would be better smoke for everyone.

P

paperplane

Damn Damn Damn.... Did I make a $100 mistake? I purchased some Cali Connec. Larry OG Fem seeds. Can Someone school me please? Why are Fem seeds bad? And His CC fem seeds crap?

A

alphaferret

well as you can read here there alotof good reasons to concider NOT using them-see posts above. BUt as some others have stated if from a reputable breeder,if not for breeding yourself, and if you your certain situation absolutly calls for it-there may be a time and place.

anyone know if tangerine dream is even avail. in a non fem seed?

again thanks for the input

-Al

symbiote420

symbiote420

I consider myself a commonsense gardener first and foremost, if it don't make sense a have to question it and break it down to it's most simple form of understanding, and this matter needs some good ole commonsense infused. I don't care where it came from or who bred it, ALL CANNABIS PLANTS whether regs or fems has the ability to hermie, in nature it's called adapting and survival There's not one of you out there that hasn't had a herm in reg seeds before, and if you haven't yet, keep growing my friend....we'll talk in the future bro. I've grown regs and fems alike and my thoughts on this matter are it's all about the plant selection, pick a hermie to reverse, get hermie seeds that plain, that simple! Like I said earlier I've grown GHS SLH, Dinafems Power Kush and G13 Labs Pineaplle Express, the SLH hermied, the PK and PE never showed herm issues and I've given atleast seven people cuts that they're still running them to this day, NO ISSUES YET!! I thought about hitting the PE with my Sour Diesel male but somebody dumb ass stole him out my backyard, now I no longer have his genetics to use...I really hope they try to smoke that ish. Next year my dogs will be big enough to leave outside and I'm putting up security cams. Sorry to veer off topic that ish pisses me the fukk off.

johnursery

johnursery

I consider myself a commonsense gardener first and foremost, if it don't make sense a have to question it and break it down to it's most simple form of understanding, and this matter needs some good ole commonsense infused. I don't care where it came from or who bred it, ALL CANNABIS PLANTS whether regs or fems has the ability to hermie, in nature it's called adapting and survival There's not one of you out there that hasn't had a herm in reg seeds before, and if you haven't yet, keep growing my friend....we'll talk in the future bro. I've grown regs and fems alike and my thoughts on this matter are it's all about the plant selection, pick a hermie to reverse, get hermie seeds that plain, that simple! Like I said earlier I've grown GHS SLH, Dinafems Power Kush and G13 Labs Pineaplle Express, the SLH hermied, the PK and PE never showed herm issues and I've given atleast seven people cuts that they're still running them to this day, NO ISSUES YET!! I thought about hitting the PE with my Sour Diesel male but somebody dumb ass stole him out my backyard, now I no longer have his genetics to use...I really hope they try to smoke that ish. Next year my dogs will be big enough to leave outside and I'm putting up security cams. Sorry to veer off topic that ish pisses me the fukk off.

i would agree with most things said above except not ALL cannabis plants will or can hermie, but it takes a breeder or a dedicated individual to stress plants and seperate the ones that wont hermie for breeding (regs and/or fems)...now some clones, are clone only because there not stable enough for simple breeding techniques, but pollen chuckers, niave disspensary owners and lowlife breeders will take a hermi prone clone and cross it to anything simply because it will share the name of the popular clone and maybe some desireable traits or some that were the reason it was clone only...so now some of the clone only strains are available in seed form and sh*t tons of crosses now, but most havent solved the hermie problem, so it expands...some breeders even use the hermie pollen to make "fem" seeds when realy there just making hermie seeds with an extremely high female to male ratio in the first generation and eventualy nothing but females if its been hermied a few times, or the first generation if its been hermied in the past which techniquely wouldnt make it the first but you get the point...but alot of female seed breeders do it the right way with col silver or gib acid, and the best female seed breeders will stress test there plants and only select plants that wont herm to use the chemical force pollination techniques...ive talked about this before in other threads ad nausiam, just like the threads been disscussed ad nausiam, and still theres so much missinformation, and i would challenge anyone who wants to breed with and thinks its ok to use hermie pollen to do there due dilligence in researching this so they can stop spreading missinformation and hermie genetics...and let the good female seeds keep a good reputation, after all we dont get as bent outta shape when it comes to IBL's bottlenecking the gene pool but when we bottleneck the gene pool for feminized seeds its now SO much worse!? doesnt make sense to me as long as theres people keeping landraces using things like open pollination to keep a wide gene pool that we can go back to for future breeding then there shouldnt be a problem...as if cubing, backcrossing, and in general line breeding doesnt already bottleneck the gene pool lol...sorry for the rant

johnursery

johnursery

oh and dont come at me with well dj short says its ok to use hermies in his old breeding book, read more books and dont take all your breeding advice from ANY breeder take advice from all of them just do alot of research so you know what advice they have thats good!

CBF

CBF

Supporter
as stated above, all cannabis is prone to show intersexed populations, there are many many factors involved which can force a cultivar to show intersexed traits.

think of it like this, there are no female/male plants, just strongly female or male. havent we all seen woman with a mustache, a guy with female characteristics? of course we have, and cannabis is no different.

no such thing as a straight female or male cultivar, just plants that lean either way. when you purchase any type of cannabis seed, that has been bred in a certain enviorment for any length of time, do you actually expect that seedline to perform the same in a totally different enviorment then its been subjected to previously?

even with clones, ive recieved cuts from others grows, and have seen them toss male flowers first go around, and been fine in future grows.

first and foremost in producing fem seed is the target plants ability to produce homozygus populations. if you havent selfed that plant to see what representation the population displays, you have no idea what type of population the seed will produce.

selfing is a very valuable tool in a breeders arsenal, extremely fast in identifing heteozygus/homozygus plants. 50% of the target plant comes out each self, eliminating the need to perform a cube.

femmed seed for the grower is a no brainer, wouldnt you rather have 100% female plants outta your purchase then a 50/50 shot at females? femmed plants do not equal or equate to intersexed plants plain and simple.

a breeders work, and a growers ability equate to intersexed plants. yes there are seedlines developed by breeders(i use that terrm loosely) that have a high percentage of intersexed plants, and that imho, falls onto the breeder.

do your research on the seedline you desire, its the growers fault when he starts screaming about intersexed plants in his garden, either he didnt do the research, or his grow is not up to par. quit your whinnin and get your game on, as ive been so severely told, growin cannabis may be your hobby, but get off your ass and learn, i see so many regurgitating what they have read online without ever even doin a search on the subject.

as a grower you cannot come to conclusions without intense study, and just how many of you can reproduce exact conditions time and again in your garden.......you cant.

dont hate to you have a complete understanding of what is taking place in your garden.

CBF

CBF

CBF

Supporter
i would agree with most things said above except not ALL cannabis plants will or can hermie,

i have yet to find a plant male or female that will not show intersexed traits when forced or stressed. every plant i grow is subjected to light leaks, some plants will flip very easy with many intersexed flowers, others not so many, even to the point of just a few in the top buds.

grow Chemdog D, when cared for well you wont see a male flower, other runs you see them all over(thank god they seem to be sterile). moisture stress is one factor that seems to promote intersexed traits more often then other stressers ive performed.

CBF

B

Biggestpothead

Fems could aren't more herm prone from my experience and I have never ran into any evidence to prove otherwise. I still wouldn't recommend breeding with fems though

Top Bottom