Your thoughts on my DIY RDWC hose/pump sizes and plumbing methods pls

• Thread starter sweetgreen
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

sweetgreen

I've been doing research and reading guides on RDWC, but I've come across some inconsistencies that I'm hoping to clear up here. Basically to do with hose and pump sizes and plumbing methods. I want to avoid unequal flow rates(drain and fill) among my buckets, as well as them overflowing due to too big a pump or too small return lines.

I've heard a few people say 1/2" return lines are too small, and caused their buckets to overflow. I've also heard people complain about uneven nutrient distribution because they plumbed it wrong.

I've seen some videos online where people have a 10 or so line manifold thing that connects to the water pump(sticking up out of rez), and gives equal flow out of each line. I can't seem to find those online, so if anyone could help me find those, that would be sweet. If I can't get one of those, then this is what I'm thinking of doing;

Water pump will feed a 3/4" hose out(my supply manifold) which will have T's connecting to 1/2" lines running to buckets. I'm hoping the 3/4" manifold will hold higher volume, causing all the 1/2" lines to flow the same amount, even to the buckets farthest from the pump? How big should the pump be for that?

Then I'm thinking the return lines should be 3/4" feeding into a 1" return manifold? Will gravity cause them all to drain equal, even the buckets farthest from the rez?

Or should I put the pump on the return lines, and let gravity feed the supply? That might create a more even flow?

All thoughts and ideas wanted! Thanks guys

L

Lost

I would review either the Undercurrent forum or the MPB forum. Under Current uses the pump on the return line. Mpb's are positive feed, meaning the pump is on the feed lines (in the res).

Use the info from people that have done it before. No reason to reinvent the wheel for the millionth time :)

Good luck :)

S

smokestack23

I hate replying with only more confusion and no answers but...I think I will anyway.

I have 4 buckets (5gal). My res is in another (cool) room. I used 3/4" drains (1/2"ID ish)..two per bucket..drain at the bottom of course and 180deg apart. I used elbows to "join" the two drains from each pail and I put a shut-off valve there (in case I have to isolate one pail..and to facilitate cleaning). From there they go to the main 3/4 line that drains back to the res. I should have used 1" for the main drainline..actually, I wish I had used 1" drains draining into a 1-1/4" line or something. I don't want my wee 3/4s to get plugged with roots.
Initially, for feed, I used a 375gph little giant pump hooked to a 1/2 line which runs into the room and along the center of my pails. OH..the pails are not really "parallel". The hose(s) run into the room and "meet" one bucket by way of a T (drain), then 42" further down the line is another bucket and so on 2 more times. So..they're "staggeres" and not directly across from one another. ..ok back to the story..
The 1/2 feedhose has a cap/plug in the end of it. At each bucket site I threaded-in one of those 1/8" feedline connectors and attached a 1/8 feedline. that feedline goes into the netcup but just kinda between the cup and hydroton. It isn't really to "feed" the medium or roots but more just to recirculate and maybe oxygenate a bit.

When I fired it up, I noticed that the 1/8 threaded pieces in the 1/2 main feedline (or manifold) would leak because the pressure was too high..or..the things just don't seal that well...so, I fibured I'd use Bernouille's principle and increase the flow (thus reducing pressure) hoping that would fix the leaks. They still dripped onto the floor a bit. I happen to have a variable ac regulator (VARIAC) so I plugged the pump into that and turned it down to 100V from our 120V at the wall. The leaks stopped...but...then the last bucket in the line could not return or drain fast enough and it overflowed.
I reduced it to 70V and it worked fine. I ordered a $16 160gph pump. It works perfectly at 100% voltage (I know that reducing just the voltage is not good for a pump or motor).

So...it's all working fine now but, obviously, the further away the buckets are the slower they drain since the fluid draining from them has to "wait" for the first buckets to drain. There MUST be some inequality in how much each drains and stuff...but...all the plants look the same..HUGE, healthy and happy as a clam.

I realize that this isn't the BEST or even correct way to do it but it was cheap and easy and works. I guess it's kind of a hybrid RDWC/drip..even though my feedlines don't act as drips (no emitters just straight hose and they don't really "feed the medium"), I CAN position them that way if I want to feed plants with undeveloped roots that arent into the solution yet, and to aid in flushing.

So yeah...I just wanted to illustrate that you can get a decent amount of flow from just a couple of 1/8" lines...more flow than the drains can handle if pumped too fast. I really wasn't expecting that.

I wasn't really expecting the feed flow and pressure to be the same at each site. While I havent "measured" it, the flow looks the same from every feedline.

I would suggest that you go with the biggest drains that you can afford or that are practical. It'll help to eliminate the chance of clogging by foots and will allow proper drainage. UC will eliminate those issues I'd imagine. I don't think you'll find a pump to run UC for 16 bucks though.

Good luck

Globel

Globel

is that a thousands words? I think a picture could explain it better.

Top Bottom