Alcohol Extraction

• Thread starter ShiftyThumb
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
dextr0

dextr0

This was probably a couple min. Anything over 30 seconds is long to me. I could tell I was letting it set too long but couldn't pour it all out at once cause I was on the table. I like to keep my shit in one little spot with a blowdryer; so I really cant be messin with a BIG puddle....

Thats the story.

MARTA

MARTA

99% Isopropyl Alcohol @ 66 Seconds of Agitation...

Motivation-ISO.jpg

Graywolf

Graywolf

With ISO I only shake 20-30 seconds max on first run for quality, then filter twice. 2nd runs another 30 seconds but the result is quite darker and contaminated with plant material you can see and taste.... but.... it still has effect.

I use 20/30 seconds for ISO as well, using frozen material and chilled alcohol.

I use 3 minutes for 190 proof Ethanol to achieve the same effects.

If you extract with ISO and after evaporating it off, redissolve the oil in hot 190 proof Ethanol and stick it in the freezer for a few days, bunches of the waxes and other non active ingredients will fall out of solution, so that they can be filtered out.

Here are pictures of what filters out and the polished extract.

Filtered waxes after freezing
Polished extract
SodaLicious

SodaLicious

This is an Iso extraction, with fan leaves, ground to powder, put into filtering flask, then have iso 99.9% run threw the flask, takes anywhere from 24-48 hours for iso to make its way through the filter, what comes out is blood red in colour, and tastes and smells like the weed it was made with.

100 3360 1024x768
SodaLicious

SodaLicious

That's still warm, haven't scaped it yet when i do i will post.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
can you take a pic of the filter flask you use?

thats a trip its red

SodaLicious

SodaLicious

Picture of Flask

You will laugh when you see it, I should be using glass but am just lazy.

100 3362 576x768
100 3363 1024x768
E

EuDiesel

So you are just filtering through coffee filters or something of the sorts?

I thought for a second there you had a fritted-glass filter flask and I was jealous! Does the light red color appear on all the oils you've used? Have you tried different filters (ie unbleached or quantitative papers)?

SodaLicious

SodaLicious

filtering through pharmaceutical grade charcoal unbleached filters, normally using a long neck wine bottle, but as i said earlier I was lazy, I get different colours from different strains, and also depending on many variables including tightness of filter, amount of charcoal etc. What is this Fritted-glass filter flask you speak of?

M

MPD

If you use methanol as the agent you can boil off almost all of it and make hard candy. I feel like an idiot. I have never filtered in the past. Just shake and use a double boiler to get rid of the excess solvent. Apparently I have been missing something. :>O

T

tricomb

Got some 1 gallon bubble bags I'm never goin to use anymore...can anyone tell me what Micron bag I should use as a filter??? Got 160, 120,90,73,45,25

K

kes5480

this is the only hash i make now. definatly really potent in my opinion. by far the easiest. coffee filters and rubing alcohol and a pyrex dish and a glass jar with top. gotta love it. i add a lil heat to evaporate the alcohol quicker..just a lil heat, not 2 much tho, practice makes perfect.

peace:banana1sv6:

O

oldschooltofu

i used everclear on about an oz of agent orange 60-70 seconds, let evaporate for a couple of days (used little too much alcohol)
got a nice dark amber color bout 3-4 grams, very potent, sticky like carmel, and tastes like oranges
gonna try freezing weed and alcohol next time.

did a second run for another 60 seconds and heated it slowly and got black tar...still smoked ok, but way darker less pure.
so i recommend slow evap/no heat; no more than a min wash.

B

Bruno

Necessity is the mother of invention .
Brilliant .
How much alcohol did you use . I've got two grocery bags full of trim one trash one sugar and I can't wait to try this .

phenotyper

phenotyper

I basically ditched my bubble bags for QWISO hash. I have not used them in months. Just ran a gallon jar of bubba trim and popcorn, drying as we speak. THE BEST PART? PURPLE HASH OIL. Pictures coming in my other thread.

Bruno, for my gallon extraction, I used about 2 quarts of 91% alcohol. However, if you want to be frugal, you can probably get away with less. I don't mind, I'd rather waste ISO than hash.

Also, I have a great new method that worked super well for making this stuff:

You'll need:
1-2 Gallon plastic mixing bowl
Gold Coffee Filter
Cheese cloth
2 Basket Filters with varying sizes of holes (small large)
1 Quart jar
32 oz Mug (BIG)
Seedling heating mat
Latex Gloves (I don't handle any of this stuff by hand, alcohol dries out my skin too much)

First, freeze all of your trim and put the ISO in the freezer for about a half an hour before the extraction.

Stack, small filter -> cheese cloth -> big filter and then put on top of mixing bowl.

Add iso to quart with trim, shake vigorously. I like to mash it up a bit too with the latex gloves on. I'm not too worried about small impurities gained by leaving slightly longer.

Dump contents into filter. Let drain, squeeze/press it out and set aside for a second extraction (if you want).

Continue until all trim is processed.

Remove top filter.

Squeeze out cheesecloth into gallon container.

Remove bottom filter.

Now, put gold filter on top of the mug, and slowly pour the contents of the 1-2 gallon mixing bowl through the gold filter. At this point a ton of the sediment is gone so it should flow rather easily.

Discard contents of gold filter.

Pour mug or mugs into pyrex dish.

Place under seedling heating pad.

For a second extraction, I'll place ice cubes in it, run it again, and remove the what remains of the cubes.

Best of luck, sounds like you'll have a ton of killer headstash oil.

B

Bruno

Performed a small experiment last night with what I had in the kitchen .
Had some outdoor bud that got mouldy when I was drying it so I broke up that and some old trim and stuffed it into a pint jam jar . I used a funnel with 2 #4 cone filters inside and a white filter outside on the bottom . hijacked a candle holder to hold the funnel over a pyrex dish . Added some frozen ISO to the jam jar made sure it was soaked and gave it a little shake the poured it all in the filter funnel .
I was freaked when what started coming out was so clear ... after a while I noticed some faint yellow color and left it for morning
Still some ISO in there and the color was darker and there was no detritus in the oil . Put it on a warmer spot on the stove for an hour and let it finish drying ..?..
Now I've got a problem I thought I'd never have ...oil !
It's thick and gummy a light yellow tint in the dish and dark when scraped up .
How do I handle this to move it . Should I put it in fridge to make it easier to clean up and put it on something else .
I'll have to get something to consume this with though . Put some on some bud and it was soooo ssssmmmmooottthhh .
Can't thank you enough for this ... lighting the bulb
How should I go about storage ? ..
Thanks

Graywolf

Graywolf

Performed a small experiment last night with what I had in the kitchen .
Had some outdoor bud that got mouldy when I was drying it so I broke up that and some old trim and stuffed it into a pint jam jar . I used a funnel with 2 #4 cone filters inside and a white filter outside on the bottom . hijacked a candle holder to hold the funnel over a pyrex dish . Added some frozen ISO to the jam jar made sure it was soaked and gave it a little shake the poured it all in the filter funnel .
I was freaked when what started coming out was so clear ... after a while I noticed some faint yellow color and left it for morning
Still some ISO in there and the color was darker and there was no detritus in the oil . Put it on a warmer spot on the stove for an hour and let it finish drying ..?..
Now I've got a problem I thought I'd never have ...oil !
It's thick and gummy a light yellow tint in the dish and dark when scraped up .
How do I handle this to move it . Should I put it in fridge to make it easier to clean up and put it on something else .
I'll have to get something to consume this with though . Put some on some bud and it was soooo ssssmmmmooottthhh .
Can't thank you enough for this ... lighting the bulb
How should I go about storage ? ..
Thanks

The fridge is good. How long do you expect it to last?

B

Bruno

"The fridge is good. How long do you expect it to last? " Greywolf .
That I don't know as I don't have a proper way to consume it efficiently .
What I was trying to get at is moving it from the pyrex to something else so I can use the dish again . Could I put this on parchment paper or wax paper and still get it to come up or do I need some type of glass dish to keep it .Would cold make it easier to handle with out damaging it .
I've got a jam jar full of ground trim to soak/process for oil using the system I noted in a previous post . .
I also noticed after examining some of the bud I used in this last extraction still had trichomes on it . So I'm wondering if screening/sieving (or dry ice extraction) first for trichomes and then processing for oil extraction . I don't see how it could hurt oil production or potency .
Lots to think about and I really appreciate all the fine posts .

Top Bottom