• Tagged users None
motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
Im told beauty supply stores carry 99%

S

ShiftyThumb

Think Sally's would bat an eye at a stoner looking guy coming in and buying iso? =p

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
I made some oil...Now How do I smoke it?

and how do I get it out of the Pyrex dish?

Oil
SodaLicious

SodaLicious

Iso 99% available at walmart in 500ml or 1 L . Scrape the oil with a razor blade, i like to use the double sided ones, cut in half. Also in the post above me it looks like you didn't filter the extraction very well, i would re dissolve it in iso, and filter it again. I like to freeze my weed, and iso for 24 hours, then do my 30 sec - 3 minute rinse depending on quality. While frozen the chloro seems to take longer to soak into the extract. and also I like to stir gently, not shake vigourously seems to make a clearer oil.

dextr0

dextr0

^^Damn mane 3 min is a long time (to me)...is that like on a big batch??
Nice tips mane.

smokum

smokum

With ISO I only shake 20-30 seconds max on first run for quality, then filter twice. 2nd runs another 30 seconds but the result is quite darker and contaminated with plant material you can see and taste.... but.... it still has effect.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
I just used a paper coffee filter for that batch in the photo above (my 1st)

Yeah some plant material got though..

what kind/size screen should I be using?

I have a 73 screen

smokum

smokum

I use double Tim Horton's coffee filters ( well, one folded over or cut in half and doubled up) and the "flakey's" never get through because its what I normally have on hand and do a great job for me. Most use #4 coffee filters.

Did you grind up your stuff before washing ? Don't !... if buds, just finger break it up, if sugar leaves or plain trim do no crumbling pre-prep.

ISO and pre-wash material I put in the freezer for 12 hours before doing a run, and only agitate/shake the material as stated in my previous post. Overdoing it (especially if using really dried goods and room temp ISO) will always carry too much plant material (chlorophyll) through.

Take your run above, ISO it again in the dish and stir it up gently, then pass it thru a double coffee filter once more. I think you'll be impressed how clean it will be and most definitely will look AND taste a whole lot better.

BHO I hot water bath to purge, then vac purge in a gerry rigged chamber I made and a brake bleeder hand pump a few times to -28u to make sure I've removed "all" the butane I can possible remove.

ISO I let air purge completely with a mesh screen on top to keep the dust/bugs out when outside. I'll then use a double boiler with my dish on top to finish evaporating any traces of alcohol stuck in the oil. If your pressed for time just double boiler it right off (off course taking the safety precautions necessary with the fumes), as the air purge takes quite a bit of time.

With either method, I scrape up the goods with a single sided razor blade while still molten (warm) and keep spreading what I collect thin in the dish to reduce trapped bubbles and to also, if by chance, remove any residual solvent that may still be there if there is. Then gather it up, place it on a piece of parchment paper and stick it in the freezer for about 5-10 minutes to make handling easier.

As far as smoking/vaping it...... there's tons of personal preferences to doing so. Personally, I enjoy using my HealthStone in a glass handpipe most, or in a bubbler with a Ti swing arm attachment. You'll have to find what you prefer as many will just lay a piece on top of some bud in a bowl and spark her up !

Whatever way you intake it....... sit down, lol.... if its your first time with concentrates, its gonna grab ya by the booboo, hehe.

S

ShiftyThumb

When making my iso, I find it best to do it before you go to sleep, and put your liquid in a well ventilated area. Passes the time very quickly. =p. Also, for no leaks in the coffee filter, use a mason jar. Instead of using the canning lid, screw on the circle bit with the coffee filter ballooned out some. No leaks =)

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

When making my iso, I find it best to do it before you go to sleep, and put your liquid in a well ventilated area. Passes the time very quickly. =p. Also, for no leaks in the coffee filter, use a mason jar. Instead of using the canning lid, screw on the circle bit with the coffee filter ballooned out some. No leaks =)

Oh, that's good shit there man.

I had the first time I inverted my container full of freshly shaken material, the filter that was zip tied onto the end fell the fuck off, dumping all of the material into the pyrex with a splash of wet spinach and alcohol. :doh

I then held it on the whole time as I tried it again. Bu the end I was sore from holding it. I will build a rig to allow the drain off before I try again.

The idea of the mason jar with the ring of the lid holding the filter is pure genius. Thanks man.

-TF

C

Chilewig

Evaporation

You can also pick up 99% ISO local pickup at Uline locations.

I have made the oil a few times with a rice cooker and turned out very well. Last time I made it, I forgot a jar of the mixture waiting for the rice cooker. I had already cleaned the rice cooker so I just left the jar. I noticed the evaporation was going pretty quickly. I am confident you could do this without a rice cooker. Does anyone know if NO heat would be better? I know some heat at the end is needed to remove all the alcohol, but speaking for the main boil down.

deep buddy

deep buddy

heat in not needed imho. if i do heat its only at the very start and at the end and it is very low heat ie double boiler just to get it moving. it does take longer. we also use everclear for black oil. and its the shiznit, peeps always talk trash on it till they try it! maybe the lack of heat helps with the probs usually associated with ethanol? the double boiler method is what the monks who made thai sticks used. rice wine alcohol in earthenware double boiler heated by the sun.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
heat in not needed imho. if i do heat its only at the very start and at the end and it is very low heat ie double boiler just to get it moving. it does take longer. we also use everclear for black oil. and its the shiznit, peeps always talk trash on it till they try it! maybe the lack of heat helps with the probs usually associated with ethanol? the double boiler method is what the monks who made thai sticks used. rice wine alcohol in earthenware double boiler heated by the sun.

you make oil for smoking with everclear?

mind sharing your extraction method?

I got 1.75 liter of the 190 proof and a big bag of nice trim all set to go

dextr0

dextr0

you make oil for smoking with everclear?

mind sharing your extraction method?

I got 1.75 liter of the 190 proof and a big bag of nice trim all set to go

^^^^I know u didnt ask me but Ive got a post where thats exactly what im talking about.

4th and 6th post.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
^^^^I know u didnt ask me but Ive got a post where thats exactly what im talking about.

4th and 6th post.

cool man - thx - I asked in another thread and the consensus was to use ISO

I made some in the manner you posted there - dried it under a fan overnight and scraped it all up and it was like the texture of a warm toostie roll - kind of had a sweet flavor to it that wasnt from the bud as well - I assume it was from the everclear

the other poster said he made oil - which I really like to spread on papers when I roll fatties - well I always roll fatties

dextr0

dextr0

I dont know how people use ISO, I get that alot though. About it tasting sweet. The only reason I find that there is a sweetness is if you did not evaporate all the water.

I find that when I do use everclear I have a water that you have to dry or in my case since I use a blow-dryer to evaporate, I will blow the water off the pyrex at the end or I pat it dry with a towel. It takes time.

Everclear is an azeotrope mixture. Ive talked about this once with jump117 on IC but since have not really got to understand or look into it much. But I feel this is why some are left with an impure end product.

Positive and negative azeotropes

Each azeotrope has a characteristic boiling point. The boiling point temperature of an azeotrope is either less than the boiling point temperatures of any of its constituents (a positive azeotrope), or greater than the boiling point temperatures of any of its constituents (a negative azeotrope).

A well known example of a positive azeotrope is 95.63% ethanol and 4.37% water (by weight).[4] Ethanol boils at 78.4°C, water boils at 100°C, but the azeotrope boils at 78.2°C, which is lower than either of its constituents.[5] Indeed 78.2°C is the minimum temperature at which any ethanol/water solution can boil at atmospheric pressure. In general, a positive azeotrope boils at a lower temperature than any other ratio of its constituents. Positive azeotropes are also called minimum boiling mixtures or pressure maximum azeotropes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azeotrope

Then again maybe im wrong and it is sugars and shit. Idk.

SodaLicious

SodaLicious

filter trick i use is cut the top off a 2 liter pop bottle, turn it upside down and a coffee filter fits perfect in it, sits atop a mason jar perfect as well

dextr0

dextr0

Everclear 190 proof. Let it sit a bit to long and got alot of green. Its usually a more brownish color. This is some schwag oil.

Oil
Top Bottom