AN Hammerhead PK 9/18 Discontinued?!?!

• Thread starter Malachi
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
budboy299

budboy299

Hi lilzayne, Hammerhead PK 9/18 was that strength all along, so the person who told you that it was 4/8 was wrong. I only say this because I mixed up a batch myself of 9/18 which is 9% phosphate and 18% Potash.

When I mixed it myself from the same dry ingredients that AN uses, the make it yourself stuff comes out within 10 ppm of AN's. So the 9/18 concentration is true.

If they are making it 4/8 now...it means that you would have to use double the amount now as you did before, to have the same results as before.

But please guys....brew up your own batches of this as it costs less than a buck per litre after your initial investment in the two ingredients (not including water)

E

easytimer

Exactly, here is an explanation I found online.

"These numbers represent the percentage (by weight) of the three major nutrients required for healthy plant growth, always in the same order: nitrogen-phosphorus-potassium (N-P-K). Each of these nutrients affects plant growth differently, and the formulation you select should depend on your specific gardening needs."

So since it is the percent of weight you would need a little over twice as much to get the same product. Looks like they decided to water it down.

Shady

Shady

Chillin' in the Shade...
Supporter
When I mixed it myself from the same dry ingredients that AN uses, the make it yourself stuff comes out within 10 ppm of AN's. So the 9/18 concentration is true.

If they are making it 4/8 now...it means that you would have to use double the amount now as you did before, to have the same results as before.

But please guys....brew up your own batches of this as it costs less than a buck per litre after your initial investment in the two ingredients (not including water)
Thx for the confirmation... I'm very interested in making the 9/18 or even better, some diff ratios using the same ingredients... :thinking

I was in the hydro shops last week and was disappointed to find that the 4/8 costs $7 more than the 9/18... Seems like a couple bucks to mix your own PK booster, to save over $40 (or $80 for two bottles of 4/8) is well worth it... Mind sharing some links on the ingredients and proper ways to mix them budboy299? :wondering

E

easytimer

have any of u guys tried ginormous 0-18-16 it may be the next best thing after the hammerhead,whats the shelf life of hammerhead anybody know.

I just fed for the first time with ginormous yesterday. I added 5mL per gallon. I am currently using the 8/16 Lucas formula and 5 mL Cal Mag Plus with RO water in FF Happy Frog soil. I didn't dilute my regular mix and the ladies are doing just fine today. I'll keep you guys informed on the progress.

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
Hi lilzayne, Hammerhead PK 9/18 was that strength all along, so the person who told you that it was 4/8 was wrong. I only say this because I mixed up a batch myself of 9/18 which is 9% phosphate and 18% Potash.

Not trying to by a dick here but>>>>Please stop giving bunghole advise bro>>>>>pronto<<<<<
It is just a label change and nothing more>>>before it was measured by weight per volume or some shit rather and now its converted different as a natural percentage or some shit re>>>>P20<<<<>>>>K20<<<<>>>at the end of the day its just on the math end by there scientists<<<<
This fella can probably explain it to you in non hillbilly type fashion:giggle>>>>>1-800-640-9605<<<<<very friendly fella at advanced<<<<<

Exactly, here is an explanation I found online.

"These numbers represent the percentage (by weight) of the three major nutrients required for healthy plant growth, always in the same order: nitrogen-phosphorus-potassium (N-P-K). Each of these nutrients affects plant growth differently, and the formulation you select should depend on your specific gardening needs."

So since it is the percent of weight you would need a little over twice as much to get the same product. Looks like they decided to water it down.

again please call 1-800-640-9605 the customer service>>>the fella<<< is waiting by the phone:)

Thx for the confirmation... I'm very interested in making the 9/18 or even better, some diff ratios using the same ingredients... :thinking

I was in the hydro shops last week and was disappointed to find that the 4/8 costs $7 more than the 9/18... Seems like a couple bucks to mix your own PK booster, to save over $40 (or $80 for two bottles of 4/8) is well worth it... Mind sharing some links on the ingredients and proper ways to mix them budboy299? :wondering

Shady brah try not to go off tangent to much more brah:giggle

I just fed for the first time with ginormous yesterday. I added 5mL per gallon. I am currently using the 8/16 Lucas formula and 5 mL Cal Mag Plus with RO water in FF Happy Frog soil. I didn't dilute my regular mix and the ladies are doing just fine today. I'll keep you guys informed on the progress.

Was still thinking of trying the humboldts ginormous in lieu of the hammerhead just to see whats doing>>>>but im still to chicken to switch<<<<Definitely let us know what you think of the budswell compared to the hammerhead:)

:passingjoint:

gtd

budboy299

budboy299

Danny, please read my post again. Carefully. What I said was exactly what you just confirmed. So I really think the term of "bunghole advise" is uncalled for.

I will explain myself very carefully here so there is no uncertainty....

I personally conducted a test of Hammerhead PK9/18
which is 9% phosphate and 18% potash

I mixed an amount of hammerhead straight from the bottle which read 9/18 with 1 litre of distilled water. It came out at just over 500ppm.

I then mixed up a batch of PK9/18 using the exact same ingredients as listed on the side of the very same bottle. 9% phosphate and 18% potash

I then added the exact same mls between the hammerhead PK9/18 and the one I had mixed up and knew for a fact to be 9% and 18%...both came out within 10ppm of each other.
By this I know for an absolute truth that the bottles I have from AN, do have 9% phoshate and 18% potash within them.

This is how I verified the true contents. that is why I said "So the 9/18 concentration is true."

So I said then, as I still say now....hammerhead PK9/18 had the amounts listed as was printed on the label.

The only other area I spoke of was to say...."If they are making it 4/8 now...it means that you would have to use double the amount now as you did before, to have the same results as before."

I never once said that they are making a new formula or anything like that....I said "IF"
and I only based this on what others were saying was happening with hammerhead.
What is also true is what I said...that if they cut the formula percentages in half, that you would have to use twice as much of the bottle.

I came to these FACTS by doing a controlled test of the actual product. I "could" have simply called someone from the company. I personally would never rely on someone who has a vested interest in making money off selling their own products, to make give me sound answers. I proved that the original bottles I had of Hammerhead were what they were labeled as...and anyone can repeat the test quite easily without having to call AN to find out why. Simple test

So please when saying "Please stop giving bunghole advise bro>>>>>pronto<<<<<
...please double check your facts before maligning someone else...especially when the person said the same thing your saying...except two weeks earlier

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
>>>>Not correcting u on your tests bud<<<<
Grab a bottle of the new LABEL hammerhead pk 4/8 and conduct your test>>>you dont have to use twice as much 4/8 to compensate to get the same results as the old 9/18 label
>>>>The bunghole advise comes from advising to use double the amount to achieve the results of the original 9/18 label:)am I jiving you correctly???? You gonna cause some of the misguided farmers to nuke there shit>>>word?<<<

"If they are making it 4/8 now...it means that you would have to use double the amount now as you did before, to have the same results as before."
^^^^^Just complete untrue brah^^^^^

gtd

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
the conversion factor is different now in there chemistry, being used to make hammerhead...different method in converting there formula is the only reason there is a label change from 9/18 to 4/8 and what ever US marketing labeling ploy:)

budboy299

budboy299

I get what you are saying Danny, and if I am wrong I do apologize. From the perspective of AN, what I find highly odd and in fact unprofessional is the sudden change in the listing on the front of the bottle as to what is actually in the bottle.
It is like saying a car motor is a 5.0 litre and then a year later saying that the exact same motor is a 2.5 litre. Then going out and claiming that noone should find this odd as it is the same motor just with a different label.
I further find this odd as I checked and by the Canadian standards for determining fertilizer strengths this did have 9% and 18%. This is a governmental body that runs tests to determine if what is said on the bottle is true.
Has anyone ever done an INDEPENDENT test to see if both bottles even contain the same ppm of the solution?

weirdly enough, I think Danny and myself may well be both correct in this matter.

If AN is still using the same amount of fertilizers in the old bottle as is now in the new bottle (and they say they are) then Danny is absolutely correct in saying it is the same and to use the same amounts.

It simply seems odd that the "guaranteed analysis" was 9% of P2O5, and 18% of K2O, and now their "guaranteed analysis" is 4% of P2O5, and 8% of K2O.

Really seems to me either it has changed, or their guarantee of what was in there was inaccurate.

I will see about grabing a bottle or PK 4/8 and seeing exactly how the old and new bottle works out as far as the ppm of what is actually in there.

Perhaps if it were as easy as they just found a new way to measure the 2 chemical components, they might mention this on their website as to why the label suddenly changed

Again Danny, I apologize and honestly believe that based on what AN told you, your statements are true about the dilution rates. BUT...I also will check this out to make sure the old and new bottles are the same fertilizer quantities.

E

easytimer

I have to agree that it is shady on AN's part one way or another. Either they were falsely representing what was in the bottle before, or they have diluted the solution. Sounds like Danny is pretty sure it's not diluted so I am leaning toward the first assumption. There is a standard for coming up with those numbers,. They have to adhere to those standards like every other fertilizer on the market. Either they decided to change the way they come up with that number (not legitimate) or they screwed up their math in the first place. Either way I consider it a bit shady. Hammerhead is obviously a respected product by many, so if it is truly the same formula, who cares what the numbers on the front say?

E

easytimer

Was still thinking of trying the humboldts ginormous in lieu of the hammerhead just to see whats doing>>>>but im still to chicken to switch<<<<Definitely let us know what you think of the budswell compared to the hammerhead:)

gtd

The crappy thing is this is my first grow in over 5 years and I have just started playing with these new fangled nutes. I can tell you that the ladies are responding to all of the nutes I have given them so far very well. I have no deficiencies showing up at all. Also, I have yet to burn these Blue Dream ladies whatsoever. I am currently doing a Scrog for the first time and am loving the results. I would be happy to post the progress of my grow using the ginormous though. I'll be sure to keep you guys updated. I am planning on slowly increasing the concentration. Wish me luck! :party0023:

Darth Fader

Darth Fader

... the exact same mls between the hammerhead PK9/18 and the one I had mixed up and knew for a fact to be 9% and 18%...both came out within 10ppm of each other.

BudBoy, can u give us some links for the ingredients so we can try this? Appreciated.

budboy299

budboy299

although I personally do not buy from there as I can get the same ingredients at my local farm supply/agricultural store at less than 1/2 that price.

There are only 2 ingredients in the bottle (other than water)....Monopotassium phosphate which is also known as MKP (locally this costs me around 30.00 for 50lbs, and potassium sulphate which is the same as sulfate of potash. This I get for 23.00 for a 50 lb bag.

you mix 78.2 grams of Monopotassium phosphate, and 91.8 grams of potassium sulphate together in a 1 litre bottle. Fill the bottle to the 1 Litre mark with distilled water. Shake like hell. This gives you the same strength and ratio as Hammerhead.

use 1-2ml per litre from one week after the start of bloom cycle till you flush before harvest

If you are anywhere near rural farm country...try farm supply stores etc. they are both normal water soluable fertilizers used in vegetable farming.

a 50 lb bag of each ingredient will have enough fertilizer in it to make more than 250- 1 litre bottles of concentrate. So if your going to be buying 50 lb bags, maybe split it up with a bunch of buddies. it also works amazing on your outdoor regular flower gardens as well.

budboy299

budboy299

This is another website that carries the two ingredients....although still vastly overpriced, you can get Monopotassium phosphate for 5.64 pre 1lb

1 lb of Monopotassium phospate will make over 5.5 litres of 0-9-18

this place
carries sulphate of potash (potassium sulphate) for 34.99 a 50lb bag

seems tough to find potassium sulphate in smaller quantities online

But for 11.28 for 2 lbs of monopotassium phosphate and 34.99 for the potassium sulphate, you can make up 10 litres of 0-9-18
Compare that to 25 bucks or so a litre!!!

On a side note....where can I find hammerhead PK 4/8 online?
ebay has it for 40 bucks a litre....I simply refuse to buy at that price!!

Shady

Shady

Chillin' in the Shade...
Supporter
Thx for the details budboy... I'm gonna pickup HammerHead PK 4/8 and test it to what's left of my 9/18. If it truly is close to half the strength, then that means by simple math, it would take nearly twice as much to reach the same PPM's... :thinking If it's the same as the old formula, then GTD is right, but shame on AN for constantly changing labels and/or misleading us... Similar to the Bud Candy change... We need consistency and the ability to purchase the same product round after round so we can dial things in.

budboy299

budboy299

That would be great Shady! you will probably have to dilute both the old and new, equal amounts to get the meter to read properly. Love to see what you find out and thanks.

E

easytimer

Thx for the details budboy... I'm gonna pickup HammerHead PK 4/8 and test it to what's left of my 9/18. If it truly is close to half the strength, then that means by simple math, it would take nearly twice as much to reach the same PPM's... :thinking If it's the same as the old formula, then GTD is right, but shame on AN for constantly changing labels and/or misleading us... Similar to the Bud Candy change... We need consistency and the ability to purchase the same product round after round so we can dial things in.

Just wondering if you ever tested the 2 out. Thanks. :animbong:

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
What have you come up with on them tests Shady buddy>>>>Im telling you peoples that there is no change but the flippen sticker:giggle
I rely on this stuff, do you think im into playing games and taking chances?>>>>same great product different label>>>I have a couple bottles of the new and will make it a point to use it next up and coming>>>shoot style<<<<:passingjoint:

gtd

M

Malachi

i have talked with AN on the phone just to clear things up, and they have told me its just a label change as GTD has said. Thanks everyone for all the input, and I am curious to see what the tests will say as well

P

paulycali

hammerhead reads around 9/8 for p and k

Canna pk 13/14 is really around 9/8

Kool bloom seemed to be highest ratio 10/10

Theres a few other boosters i found with even bigger numbers like a DNF product and of course blommbastic has crazy high p/k ratio

I am sure there new hammerhead product will have some high p/k levels too

Making your own guanos will surpass all these numbers if you mix the right ones together for a great p/k

Top Bottom