Avid / Abamectin residual

• Thread starter max_well
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
caveman4.20

caveman4.20

There are some great soil threads ....organic threads....aquaponic threads i bet you've schooled me in old threads that you might not remember or might not apply even though you know it

SunGrown

SunGrown

There are some great soil threads ....organic threads....aquaponic threads i bet you've schooled me in old threads that you might not remember or might not apply even though you know it
ok, I am still not understanding....if there is a problem you can PM me anytime. I, on the other hand, can not PM you

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

No problem other then this Avid issue but I'm over it I am not interested in learning how to use avid for anything

SunGrown

SunGrown

No problem other then this Avid issue but I'm over it I am not interested in learning how to use avid for anything
ok. You don't have to explain the previous posts. But it does seem like you only revived this old thread to be angry, and to me that is silly and I am sure when you calm down you will see that to some extent.

People that aren't part of the secondary discussion here will find it hard to seek help in what could have been a great resource thread.

I have not tried to be negative to you or anyone else and if somehow at all I came across that way, then my apologies.

Try to have a good day

SunGrown

SunGrown

How to Manage Pests
UC Pest Management Guidelines
| More pests | More crops | About guidelines |

Tomato
Tomato Russet Mite
Scientific name: Aculops lycopersici

(Reviewed 1/08, updated 1/08)

In this Guideline:

DESCRIPTION OF THE PEST
Russet mites are so small that a 14X hand lens is needed to see them. Because of their size, these mites are rarely noticed until plants are damaged. By this time, there may be hundreds of yellowish, conical-shaped mites on the green leaves immediately above the damaged bronzed leaves.

DAMAGE
Russet mites remove cell contents from leaves, stems, and fruit cells. Usually starting near the ground, infestations of this mite progress up the plant and lower leaves dry out, giving the plant an unhealthy appearance. The color of the stems and leaves frequently becomes greasy bronze or russet colored. If not controlled, this pest can kill plants.

MANAGEMENT
Monitor and treat for these mites if damage is occurring.

Organically Acceptable Methods
Mined sulfur dust or sprays are acceptable on organically certified produce.

Monitoring and Treatment Decisions
Look for bronzing on lower leaves and stems, then check damaged leaves and the green leaves immediately above them for mites. Damage is typically first observed when green fruit reaches 1 inch (5 cm); rarely is it first observed after more than 25% of the fruit are ripe. Determine the extent of each infested area in the field by examining leaves and stems for bronzing, and mark the boundaries of the infested areas. Check these areas again in 2 or 3 days to see if they are increasing in size. Immediate treatment is necessary when damage symptoms begin to spread.

Common name Amount/Acre** R.E.I.+ P.H.I.+
(trade name) (hours) (days)
The following materials are listed in order of usefulness in an IPM program, taking into account efficacy and impact on natural enemies and honey bees. When choosing a pesticide, also consider information relating to environmental impact. Not all registered pesticides are listed. Always read label of product being used.
A. SULFUR DUST# Label rates 24 0
...OR...
WETTABLE SULFUR# Label rates 24 0
MODE OF ACTION: Unknown. An inorganic insecticide.
COMMENTS: Check CCOF guidelines regarding the suitability of the specific product for use on organically certified crops. Thorough coverage is required; ground application preferred. Do not apply when temperatures are in excess of 90°F or during a heavy dew or fog. Avoid drift.
B. ABAMECTIN*
(Agri-Mek) 0.15 EC 8–16 oz 12 7
MODE OF ACTION GROUP NUMBER1: 6
COMMENTS: Also effective against leafminers and tomato pinworm; does not harm beneficials. Do not exceed 48 fl oz/acre/season.

** See label for dilution rates.
+ Restricted entry interval (R.E.I.) is the number of hours (unless otherwise noted) from treatment until the treated area can be safely entered without protective clothing. Preharvest interval (P.H.I.) is the number of days from treatment until harvest can take place. In some cases the R.E.I. exceeds the P.H.I. The longer of these two intervals is the minimum time that must elapse before harvest may take place.
# Acceptable for use on organically grown produce.
* Permit required from county agricultural commissioner for purchase or use.
1 Rotate chemicals with a different mode-of-action Group number, and do not use products with the same mode-of-action Group number more than twice per season to help prevent the development of resistance. For example, the organophosphates have a Group number of 1B; chemicals with a 1B Group number should be alternated with chemicals that have a Group number other than 1B. Mode of action Group numbers are assigned by IRAC (Insecticide Resistance Action Committee). For additional information, see their Web site at http://www.irac-online.org/.

The above info is from California UC Davis

They only recommend sulfer dust and abamectin to treat russet mites on tomato crops at 8-16 ounces per acre with a 1 hour R.E.I. and a 7 day P.H.I.

REI=time to wait before entering the garden after spraying

PHI=time to wait before harvesting a treated crop

Jolly Mon

Jolly Mon

How to Manage Pests
UC Pest Management Guidelines
| More pests | More crops | About guidelines |

Tomato
Tomato Russet Mite
Scientific name: Aculops lycopersici

(Reviewed 1/08, updated 1/08)

In this Guideline:

DESCRIPTION OF THE PEST
Russet mites are so small that a 14X hand lens is needed to see them. Because of their size, these mites are rarely noticed until plants are damaged. By this time, there may be hundreds of yellowish, conical-shaped mites on the green leaves immediately above the damaged bronzed leaves.

DAMAGE
Russet mites remove cell contents from leaves, stems, and fruit cells. Usually starting near the ground, infestations of this mite progress up the plant and lower leaves dry out, giving the plant an unhealthy appearance. The color of the stems and leaves frequently becomes greasy bronze or russet colored. If not controlled, this pest can kill plants.

MANAGEMENT
Monitor and treat for these mites if damage is occurring.

Organically Acceptable Methods
Mined sulfur dust or sprays are acceptable on organically certified produce.

Monitoring and Treatment Decisions
Look for bronzing on lower leaves and stems, then check damaged leaves and the green leaves immediately above them for mites. Damage is typically first observed when green fruit reaches 1 inch (5 cm); rarely is it first observed after more than 25% of the fruit are ripe. Determine the extent of each infested area in the field by examining leaves and stems for bronzing, and mark the boundaries of the infested areas. Check these areas again in 2 or 3 days to see if they are increasing in size. Immediate treatment is necessary when damage symptoms begin to spread.

Common name Amount/Acre** R.E.I.+ P.H.I.+
(trade name) (hours) (days)
The following materials are listed in order of usefulness in an IPM program, taking into account efficacy and impact on natural enemies and honey bees. When choosing a pesticide, also consider information relating to environmental impact. Not all registered pesticides are listed. Always read label of product being used.
A. SULFUR DUST# Label rates 24 0
...OR...
WETTABLE SULFUR# Label rates 24 0
MODE OF ACTION: Unknown. An inorganic insecticide.
COMMENTS: Check CCOF guidelines regarding the suitability of the specific product for use on organically certified crops. Thorough coverage is required; ground application preferred. Do not apply when temperatures are in excess of 90°F or during a heavy dew or fog. Avoid drift.
B. ABAMECTIN*
(Agri-Mek) 0.15 EC 8–16 oz 12 7
MODE OF ACTION GROUP NUMBER1: 6
COMMENTS: Also effective against leafminers and tomato pinworm; does not harm beneficials. Do not exceed 48 fl oz/acre/season.

** See label for dilution rates.
+ Restricted entry interval (R.E.I.) is the number of hours (unless otherwise noted) from treatment until the treated area can be safely entered without protective clothing. Preharvest interval (P.H.I.) is the number of days from treatment until harvest can take place. In some cases the R.E.I. exceeds the P.H.I. The longer of these two intervals is the minimum time that must elapse before harvest may take place.
# Acceptable for use on organically grown produce.
* Permit required from county agricultural commissioner for purchase or use.
1 Rotate chemicals with a different mode-of-action Group number, and do not use products with the same mode-of-action Group number more than twice per season to help prevent the development of resistance. For example, the organophosphates have a Group number of 1B; chemicals with a 1B Group number should be alternated with chemicals that have a Group number other than 1B. Mode of action Group numbers are assigned by IRAC (Insecticide Resistance Action Committee). For additional information, see their Web site at http://www.irac-online.org/.

The above info is from California UC Davis

They only recommend sulfer dust and abamectin to treat russet mites on tomato crops at 8-16 ounces per acre with a 1 hour R.E.I. and a 7 day P.H.I.

REI=time to wait before entering the garden after spraying

PHI=time to wait before harvesting a treated crop
Those russets are a major bitch I read that UC Davis page over and over last year sulfer treatment were very ineffective on our russets problem . Those bugs hit so many gardens in the area we were able to do our own study. We employed the two treatments listed above and safer soap and several other products in controlled test. Each garden was treated w/ one or another we did not combine treatments. Only one proved to be totally effective on russets. Take a guess.

SunGrown

SunGrown

Those russets are a major bitch I read that UC Davis page over and over last year sulfer treatment were very ineffective on our russets problem . Those bugs hit so many gardens in the area we were able to do our own study. We employed the two treatments listed above and safer soap and several other products in controlled test. Each garden was treated w/ one or another we did not combine treatments. Only one proved to be totally effective on russets. Take a guess.
Hmm, Should I guess AVID?

Thanks for the info you provided, I will do a read this morning while my tanks mix.

I sprayed met52 ec yesterday, a natural biowarfare product and today the difference seriously is extremely noticeable! I am superbly impressed.

I think after the aspirin drench I just gave and the spray of aspirin I am about to do, I may just win!

Last edited:
SunGrown

SunGrown

Here is a study of several universities on the effects of abamectin.
Oh, I already have that study paper.

If you do the math on the doses it took to cause problems you will see there is no way on earth any one is using that much abamectin for anything.

So the study basically shows it is safe the way it is used.

Lets face it, breathing our own regular oxygen source will likely cause cancer before many of the pesticides used in ag.

And the folks wearing paper doctors mask to breathe fresh air in the cities are only giving themselves the placebo effect. Those masks are meant to stop germs from spit etc from getting on someone else...they do nothing to really filter the air for us as we breath.

Jolly Mon

Jolly Mon

Oh, I already have that study paper.

If you do the math on the doses it took to cause problems you will see there is no way on earth any one is using that much abamectin for anything.

So the study basically shows it is safe the way it is used.

Lets face it, breathing our own regular oxygen source will likely cause cancer before many of the pesticides used in ag.

And the folks wearing paper doctors mask to breathe fresh air in the cities are only giving themselves the placebo effect. Those masks are meant to stop germs from spit etc from getting on someone else...they do nothing to really filter the air for us as we breath.

Yes it looks like you would have to chug avid to get sick you also shit it out after 24 hrs. But I don't think I would go as far as to recommended it unless it is the absolute only last measure. I understand that a family can not stand by and watch their annual income get demolished by bugs. Its not like we get subsidies for cannabis. On the other hand if everybody uses it as their go to then we will have a much more durable pest problem like all the other superbugs that are becoming more and more resistant to just about every product.

SunGrown

SunGrown

i will be recommending the met52 or caps foliar pack from now on. If he could get the packs into all the ag stores it would be best. I know a lot of people who will not order it online...

Jolly Mon

Jolly Mon

i will be recommending the met52 or caps foliar pack from now on. If he could get the packs into all the ag stores it would be best. I know a lot of people who will not order it online...
He is in our stores now since I have been working with him for 2 years now everybody has seen the results. No contest. In this valley people are standing in line to get their hands on it. It was nice at least for 2 years to be ahead of the curve now I have to up my game.

SunGrown

SunGrown

He is in our stores now since I have been working with him for 2 years now everybody has seen the results. No contest. In this valley people are standing in line to get their hands on it. It was nice at least for 2 years to be ahead of the curve now I have to up my game.
where are your stores if you don't mind me asking.

Feel free to message me if you don't want to publicly say it here.

for 2 years to be ahead of the curve now I have to up my game.

What do ya mean? I had a conversation yesterday with a guy and we both were wishing it was still just bud worms or spider mites, these new bugs suck. But I think the more I learn about the biowarfare type products the happier I will be.

And trust me, I will be sharing any and all info I learn to help folks know they do not have to use avid or anything like it again....if that proves to be the case!

Last edited:
Jolly Mon

Jolly Mon

where are your stores if you don't mind me asking.

Feel free to message me if you don't want to publicly say it here.

What do ya mean? I had a conversation yesterday with a guy and we both were wishing it was still just bud worms or spider mites, these new bugs suck. But I think the more I learn about the biowarfare type products the happier I will be.

And trust me, I will be sharing and and all info I learn to help folks know they do not have to use avid or anything like it again....if that proves to be the case!
Nor. Cal. Humboldt stores carry OG Biowar .

SunGrown

SunGrown

Nor. Cal. Humboldt stores carry OG Biowar .
ok, thank you. I am quite a few hours east. I used to live in Arcata and on a large property down by the coast guard station on the bay. I miss the woods and nature there!

Winged Sun

Winged Sun

I heard the very same thing, but the source came from the same lab out of Santa Cruz. I am going to the med cup this weekend in L.A. and will be testing some nugs at a different lab, while I don't use Avid, I do use floramite and figure that it is about equal in toxicity. Does anyone have any other lab info on the residual toxicity of avid?
Look up the WA and OR State FDA studies on edibles. Way higher testing standards than anything a cannabis testing lab has put forth. No disrespect.

C

CeeW

Here's some advice to heed of, with extreme and utmost hierarchy:

Listen and listen carefully...cuz these are words of wisdom that were spoken by a man from Mendocino County who saw the truth and hypocrisy of the Civil War on Drugs... A man who cannot offer any more words of wisdom, who was way before his time, and is held with soft hearts by many Northern Californians. So, I want to ask for thankfulness to Rod, his band and the maker of this video.

A

AngusAnarchy

i know this post was started a long time ago, anyways...

It is more dangerous to smoke rather than eat pesticides and other potentially harmful substances because when you inhale something, it goes directly into the bloodstream... IE heart, brain, liver, kidneys, etc.

When ingested, it goes through more 'security pathways' in the body before entering the blood. Many things would not reach the same areas it can when inhaled.

Top Bottom