barebulb hedge growing and lanky strains

• Thread starter Capulator
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

What's an elbow? I said potato..

The bulbs are on yo-yos. They go up and down. I keep the bulb high when I transfer to allow for shock factor. Then after a week or so of getting used to the new space I flip them. That's when I drop the bulb. I raise the bulb when the plant is mature to the point where it is roughly in the upper 1/3 area of the plant, which is pretty much at the ceiling and as high as it can go).

The panel screen (some 6x6 grid metal for keeping cows in) is suspended about a foot in front of the middle of the pot, roughly 2 feet from the wall behind it. There is about a foot underneath so it's easy to get under it and service the girls from the inside. I always work my way from the inside to the outside of the plant. A lot of the small stuff you want to trim out halfway up the plant is generally weak sucker growth actually coming from near the bottom of the main branches and trunk. This is actually a lot easier to access and see when you are looking at the plant from the side.

These plants are situated a couple feet off the ground, so when you are sitting on a step ladder, you can reach right up in them.

In short, it's not really difficult getting in to the back side.

The white wall behind (panda film) is keeping a lot of the light in the canopy.

I turn this row of lights off when I work. The light from the other rows (lots of it) is behind me and I can see perfectly. no shadows. I also raise the lights up so I am not bumping in to them when I walk around.

If I were to do this in a small space I would have a nice t-5 on the ceiling to work while the main lights are off so you don't get burned.

Badass Cap, I'm going to try it on a smaller scale.

What is the closest distance you will allow the bulb to be from a limb/bud??

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Badass Cap, I'm going to try it on a smaller scale.

What is the closest distance you will allow the bulb to be from a limb/bud??

depends on the strain, but I have buds about 6" from the bulb with no burning or bleaching. I would try to keep it around 18". barebulbs with no reflector (vert) dont have quite the intensity as with a reflector so you can get a little closer if you have a fan blowing from underneath, good airflow and good cooling capabilities.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
that's pretty OG status growing you are doing there cap!

thanks!

I can't wait to get some more space. I think that the plants would actually do much better further away, like 2 to 3 feet from the bulb depending on the strain. The flowers that are really close to the bulbs (like a foot away), are getting weird. foxtailing a bit and not putting out as much frost. I just need more space.. My next space will be a 20x20x12 with 4 trees in the middle, 14,400w double stacked verts... 1k over 600w (my own design for a double stacked vert reflector).

Last edited:
Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Your ideas are halting progress over here... makin' me rethink everything. :)

Don't let all this forum talk jiggle your brain. The key to a great system is building one first and then running it. I remember going back and forth forever on room layout researching all kinds of shit. Just when I thought I knew what I wanted, I would read something cool and it would fuck me up. That still happens to this day.

You really need to pencil shit out in terms of square footage of canopy. I think that is the best way to design a room. The way I look at it a tree is good because you have the area of a dome or cone, which is greater in area than a flat space of the same footprint. A hedge along the wall gives me even more sq. footage. For example, a 2x2 space gives me 4 square feet surface area in a horizontal grow, but if I can do a 6 ft hedge, I can get 12 square feet surface area in the same space.

It's all in the math... if you don't have to take electrical in to consideration it's even better (amps/cost/etc).

shawnskush

shawnskush

so i think i remember reading somewhere that bare bulbs could explode from contact with water any info on this? or am i just smoking something :cigar:

ftwendy

ftwendy

so i think i remember reading somewhere that bare bulbs could explode from contact with water any info on this? or am i just smoking something :cigar:

Hot glass will shatter if you get enough water on it. This fact makes bare bulb gardening an adventure.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Cap what size and how many watts is the room your running in now?

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
:).

P1019303

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Trichomes are a plants method of controlling leaf surface temperature (and some studies suggest protection from UV light). If there is a very high temperature at the leaf/calyx the first thing that will suffer and die will be the trichome. This is it's purpose.

Nice. Some of the flowers were absolutely telling me they were too close. I think 18"-30" away is about the sweet spot on a vert barebulb 1k.

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

Nice. Some of the flowers were absolutely telling me they were too close. I think 18"-30" away is about the sweet spot on a vert barebulb 1k.
for hps, but what about the mh conversion hanging there? notice much difference? you got floor fans under each lamp?

Top Bottom