barebulb hedge growing and lanky strains

• Thread starter Capulator
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
for hps, but what about the mh conversion hanging there? notice much difference? you got floor fans under each lamp?

I have fans under each lamp. I did not check to see the difference... Is the digilux a conversion bulb? I know the MH get hotter thats for sure.

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

oh i thought you ran ushio. i've burned the shit out of plants with vert mh that was too close

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
massive trees bro. im running the digilux now in a air cooled set up and they are defintly cooler then the eye hortilux. i havent really kept any records at the various rooms ive swicthed them too but on a 6 light set up i would say about 5-10 degrees in temp differnce even the glass feels cooler

Pancho-N-Lefty

Pancho-N-Lefty

Cap... would u recomend running:( 600 verts , double 600 verts or 1000 verts) with 3 1k overhead in a 12x11x7 room with a settup using a hedge on each side of trees in the middle?
Thnx

PnL

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Cap... would u recomend running:( 600 verts , double 600 verts or 1000 verts) with 3 1k overhead in a 12x11x7 room with a settup using a hedge on each side of trees in the middle?
Thnx

PnL

Draw your room on a piece of paper. You need at least 3 feet from the wall to the light bulb when you do a hedge against the wall, given you will plant it 6" from the wall in a 12" deep x 12" wide, by roughly 2' long container. so on your 11' side you could squeeze in 5 plants (if you were mimicking my setup outlined in this thread). that leaves you 6 feet down the middle to put a 2' bed and grow either a SOG, Scrog, or another hedge. if you went with the sog or scrog, put 1k's horizontal down the middle and 4 600's down each row not double stacked. , and if you go hedge, just double stack 8 600's down 2 rows... 16 600's total.

all hedges would be a neat 15 plants.. or you could go 9 plants per 1k in the bed and do 46 plants.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Okay I just found this thread. I had been looking for it, others had told me you'd made it, but I just gleaned what I could from the other threads.

I didn't just rethink my setup, I'm rebuilding it! This whole wall o' dank idea is what pushed me into doing my light cylinder.

This thread tells me I am on the right track.

Any guesses, Cap, as to what two plants in a 4 foot tall by 4 foot diameter cylinder might do with 1kW?

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Okay I just found this thread. I had been looking for it, others had told me you'd made it, but I just gleaned what I could from the other threads.

I didn't just rethink my setup, I'm rebuilding it! This whole wall o' dank idea is what pushed me into doing my light cylinder.

This thread tells me I am on the right track.

Any guesses, Cap, as to what two plants in a 4 foot tall by 4 foot diameter cylinder might do with 1kW?

yield wise? Depends on the strain but I would say a minimum of 1 potato should be your first target. I would veg them until they are about halfway up the cylinder if it were me. You coudl veg them to 24" in a separate room.

ttystikk

ttystikk

yield wise? Depends on the strain but I would say a minimum of 1 potato should be your first target. I would veg them until they are about halfway up the cylinder if it were me. You coudl veg them to 24" in a separate room.

The strain is a phenomenal yielding super silver haze or similar, one that I can get to finish in my 9 week window. It stretches like crazy, so it's the perfect ace in the hole for this project. Vegging to almost halfway was the plan, I will just go a touch more on your advice.

I'm running my entire veg op in a separate tent, the point of which is to deliver perfectly sized plants, ready to flower. If I need to make them a bit bigger, that's easy for me to do.

If I get less than two potatoes I'm going to look for where I fucked up. I think three is reasonable and possibly even four under ideal circumstances, once everything is dialed in... That's certainly a doable goal with a second bulb inside- my plan is to see how much I can do with just one bulb.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
4 potatoes from that setup would be amazing. I wish you all the luck.

ttystikk

ttystikk

4 potatoes from that setup would be amazing. I wish you all the luck.

That's the stretch goal after things are super dialed in, and it may not be possible with one bulb. I aim to find out!

Two or three though, I think this is easy and very doable. On one bulb.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
That's the stretch goal after things are super dialed in, and it may not be possible with one bulb. I aim to find out!

Two or three though, I think this is easy and very doable. On one bulb.

there are people who get 2+ from a 1k in a 3x3 tray... so I am thinking it may be possible. You will need to get a lot of tops going from the get go though and train diligently.

true grit

true grit

Alright Cap, so finally stumbled on this thread too and I think your idea of plants in the middle and walls on the side is the shit. Something like that would eliminate my problems wanting to run big kush bushes that may not yield as well in vert space. I know we talked before about my previous vert scrog set up and not being overly productive as I wanted.

Last time the set up was plants stacked on 2 tiers- about a week veg in room then flip but not overly giant. But by doing 2 rows of plants in a stadium and only having 1 row lights i definitely created problems. Plants too low had too much larf, plants above a certain height had too much larf, which only left buds that were low on some and high on others in the peak zone. Colas were solid but not near what I had gotten on vert tree grows. I definitely seeing doing a single row of plants trained/flipped upward into the screen leaving everything at perfect height for the bare bulbs. Heres a few pix of set up before- as you can see, plants were not near big enough to get weight, had 4k in there only got a lil over potato a light. Also ran into not having enough space between lights and plants. Casters or ability to move scrog/plants back slightly would be great.

DSCN2438DSCN2441DSCN2501 DSCN2427

Not that Im completely deterred from same set-up...obviously need bigger bushes etc, and from looking back at pix now not sure why i gave up so quick. lol. But lemme get this right and try to diagram a pic of what you are saying- lets say i had space for 3k vert down the middle.... x's being plants an O's being lights- you are talking about something like this? One plant on either end- one prob being movable... or walls being movable. And if lookin at 2 plants per vert could almost throw another couple plants in.

x O x
x X x
x O x
x X x
x O x

Like i was discussing in other thread, I'd need almost 1.25-1.5 to hit weight I would like using big trees and 4-5kw. Seems in a set up like this even hitting 1/2 potato on outside bushes will be 2per + those beasts in the middle to help push 3. I want to run big kushes/cookies/wifi's/OG's and 1/2 potato sound way more feasible than shooting for 1.5lb trees.

Might have to start bouncing ideas off ya...could maybe try this set up next round.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Alright Cap, so finally stumbled on this thread too and I think your idea of plants in the middle and walls on the side is the shit. Something like that would eliminate my problems wanting to run big kush bushes that may not yield as well in vert space. I know we talked before about my previous vert scrog set up and not being overly productive as I wanted.

Last time the set up was plants stacked on 2 tiers- about a week veg in room then flip but not overly giant. But by doing 2 rows of plants in a stadium and only having 1 row lights i definitely created problems. Plants too low had too much larf, plants above a certain height had too much larf, which only left buds that were low on some and high on others in the peak zone. Colas were solid but not near what I had gotten on vert tree grows. I definitely seeing doing a single row of plants trained/flipped upward into the screen leaving everything at perfect height for the bare bulbs. Heres a few pix of set up before- as you can see, plants were not near big enough to get weight, had 4k in there only got a lil over potato a light. Also ran into not having enough space between lights and plants. Casters or ability to move scrog/plants back slightly would be great.

View attachment 307782View attachment 307783View attachment 307784 View attachment 307781

Not that Im completely deterred from same set-up...obviously need bigger bushes etc, and from looking back at pix now not sure why i gave up so quick. lol. But lemme get this right and try to diagram a pic of what you are saying- lets say i had space for 3k vert down the middle.... x's being plants an O's being lights- you are talking about something like this? One plant on either end- one prob being movable... or walls being movable. And if lookin at 2 plants per vert could almost throw another couple plants in.

x O x
x X x
x O x
x X x
x O x

Like i was discussing in other thread, I'd need almost 1.25-1.5 to hit weight I would like using big trees and 4-5kw. Seems in a set up like this even hitting 1/2 potato on outside bushes will be 2per + those beasts in the middle to help push 3. I want to run big kushes/cookies/wifi's/OG's and 1/2 potato sound way more feasible than shooting for 1.5lb trees.

Might have to start bouncing ideas off ya...could maybe try this set up next round.

On my kush strains (namely kosher which is super duper lanky and doesn't blow out anything bigger than a golf ball, I do 1/2 potato consistently. With my FPOG or Colombian I will hit almost a full potato. Plants this does not work with are plants that stay super bushy and do not stretch much.

I do not know what spacing you have in that diagram, but I feel that running a bed in the middle would be more productive. with 5 plants in a row I have 3 1k shining close, but keep in mind that there are 9k total in the room so I am sure I am getting extra light from them.

If that space was say 10 feet long and 8 feet wide, you could have 5 plants down each side, and a 3 x 8 bed down the middle, so you can have a little room to walk around. With 4 bare vert 1k, I think you could pull 4-6 from the bed with your skills, and another 5 from the walls if you threw the wall plants in at 24". The key is to hang the trellis from the ceiling and leave a space between the top of the pot and the bottom of the trellis (12" would be great). Then it's easy to get under and access the back for trimming/delarfing. You need a lot of wire and yo yo s too for support. That would be between 9 and 11 per run.

If I can help in any way please bounce away any ideas you have. You may have a great one that I can steal from you. :troll:

Last edited:
Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
also,

I veg my plants like 4 weeks minimum. They have trunks the size of a 50 cent piece when they are pulled. The tops that stretch out of light still get really nice and big (like they are still tops). I trim out a lot of the bottom and the back during stretch.

We have also talked about plants that actually do better with less light as an option. My colombian hates a ton of light.

true grit

true grit

So how are you picturing the beds? Are you picturing a full bed under that light in diagram and utitilizing the bare vert light like overhead? I have done that as well with alright results. Would def have to be 3' wide tho instead of 4', no way i could get in like need be with regular beds.

What im picturing is more like a 10-12ft run with 3 bare vert spaced in between that on 48" centers. Only reason for 48" center would be to cram 2 big trees in between those lights, with the focus of the verts being for the outside walls. I hadn't thought about actual beds underneath instead of big ass trees. Not sure I would have the height to bare vert over beds since i do bushes but i'll check it out. But on 48" centers and 3 bulbs seems like that would be solid for 5-6 plants on each side following the 24" spacing. Once i had fans taken care of i threw a few extra plants on the ends last time too, just gotta be stout fuckers. lol.

If i can fit 12 pushing 1/2 potato that would cover 2per, and the extra big ones just add to that (and hittin 3/4 per site would already by 3per). I def hit 5-8oz plants in overhead on the regular so this is sounding like a lot more feasible deal. Beds changes it all up tho, gonna have to go stare at things for a minute and visualize now ya thinkin next level!! :cool:

ttystikk

ttystikk

This line of thinking really amounts to turning the entire room into a vertical growing chamber, covering all the walls, trees in the middle and possibly even in beds underneath! Sneaky, that! Who's game for growing on the ceiling?!

What strikes me as interesting are the inescapable similarities between this and the slightly smaller scale canopy I'm working with that's cozily wrapped around a single bulb. But how to accurately and fairly compare each of our approaches?

Grams per watt of flowering lighting is a poor way to measure productivity. Since we are essentially working two sizes of the same approach, it makes sense to me to develop some new ways to quantify/measure the relative advantages of each of our solutions.

Appropriate variables to track might include size of the room, height of ceiling for volume, number of plants, whether/how long plants are vegged in place before flip, total lighting type and watts in room, type of substrate/growing method, manhours of labor per unit of yield and more I'm sure.

Thoughts?

Top Bottom