barebulb hedge growing and lanky strains

• Thread starter Capulator
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
So how are you picturing the beds? Are you picturing a full bed under that light in diagram and utitilizing the bare vert light like overhead? I have done that as well with alright results. Would def have to be 3' wide tho instead of 4', no way i could get in like need be with regular beds.

What im picturing is more like a 10-12ft run with 3 bare vert spaced in between that on 48" centers. Only reason for 48" center would be to cram 2 big trees in between those lights, with the focus of the verts being for the outside walls. I hadn't thought about actual beds underneath instead of big ass trees. Not sure I would have the height to bare vert over beds since i do bushes but i'll check it out. But on 48" centers and 3 bulbs seems like that would be solid for 5-6 plants on each side following the 24" spacing. Once i had fans taken care of i threw a few extra plants on the ends last time too, just gotta be stout fuckers. lol.

If i can fit 12 pushing 1/2 potato that would cover 2per, and the extra big ones just add to that (and hittin 3/4 per site would already by 3per). I def hit 5-8oz plants in overhead on the regular so this is sounding like a lot more feasible deal. Beds changes it all up tho, gonna have to go stare at things for a minute and visualize now ya thinkin next level!! :cool:

Yes a full bed utilizing 4 vert lamps instead of 3. Whats the ceilign height?

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
This line of thinking really amounts to turning the entire room into a vertical growing chamber, covering all the walls, trees in the middle and possibly even in beds underneath! Sneaky, that! Who's game for growing on the ceiling?!

What strikes me as interesting are the inescapable similarities between this and the slightly smaller scale canopy I'm working with that's cozily wrapped around a single bulb. But how to accurately and fairly compare each of our approaches?

Grams per watt of flowering lighting is a poor way to measure productivity. Since we are essentially working two sizes of the same approach, it makes sense to me to develop some new ways to quantify/measure the relative advantages of each of our solutions.

Appropriate variables to track might include size of the room, height of ceiling for volume, number of plants, whether/how long plants are vegged in place before flip, total lighting type and watts in room, type of substrate/growing method, manhours of labor per unit of yield and more I'm sure.

Thoughts?

I have been trying to get my plants tall enough to bend them on the cage on my ceiling!!! Maybe next time.

I don't want to track so many variables tty, I just like growing flowers for meds. If my next run is better then my current run, then I am happy. That's what I strive for. A constant state of improvement. I find that the more you work with the plants, the better you come to understand them. I take a lot of notes but I never really reflect on them... it's more liek I rely on instinct these days and just a feel of what's happening in my little jungle.

ttystikk

ttystikk

I have been trying to get my plants tall enough to bend them on the cage on my ceiling!!! Maybe next time.

I don't want to track so many variables tty, I just like growing flowers for meds. If my next run is better then my current run, then I am happy. That's what I strive for. A constant state of improvement. I find that the more you work with the plants, the better you come to understand them. I take a lot of notes but I never really reflect on them... it's more liek I rely on instinct these days and just a feel of what's happening in my little jungle.

In the midst of this dry and scientific scientific conversation about timing, it's essential to remain aware of instinct, hunch, experience and feel. These are often the difference between a competent gardener and a great one.

true grit

true grit

Yes a full bed utilizing 4 vert lamps instead of 3. Whats the ceilign height?

Only have 8 ft' ceilings round these parts. Was thinking if i were to do beds then put in 3- 3x3's on casters. Those beds could run the stout kushes or some GSC that don't need as much intensity, just light.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Bravo!!!....capulator....I was using yoyos to hold up my kosher kush buds to my ceiling your setup is perfect for that stain which is one of my favs...grows like grapevines.

You know it!!!

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
I'm bumping my own thread. Stay tuned for hedges of Jew gold, power nap, and love triangle. Hedges will most likely be trained along the ceiling this time as they are getting too big waiting for the damn SLH to get big enough to flip. Thinking of playing with fire and spraying the SLH with gibberlic acid. Pics to follow.

tweedy

tweedy

I'm bumping my own thread. Stay tuned for hedges of Jew gold, power nap, and love triangle. Hedges will most likely be trained along the ceiling this time as they are getting too big waiting for the damn SLH to get big enough to flip. Thinking of playing with fire and spraying the SLH with gibberlic acid. Pics to follow.
I'm just imagining the little kid from the shining running around your hedge maze. Ha.

midwestdensies

midwestdensies

How's your love triangle cap. I have access to some of these as well and have considered giving a go. Definitely update this shit for us homie. I may convert one day to a different style. Also I'm curious to see your kosher, I have a white kosher pheno that kicks ass and wonder how she compares. Peace

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
How's your love triangle cap. I have access to some of these as well and have considered giving a go. Definitely update this shit for us homie. I may convert one day to a different style. Also I'm curious to see your kosher, I have a white kosher pheno that kicks ass and wonder how she compares. Peace

I don't know how she is yet I have 2 phenos in week 3 and a few still in veg.

I actually just ordered 9 gavita remote ballasts and 9 phillips GP 400v 600w SE bulbs for this room.

monkeymun

monkeymun

Great setup Cap, looks like it really maximizes use of space well. Props for the creativity.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
So I knocked out one of the drip tubes that was stuck in the top hat grommet, and then the while I was gone the pump went off, sending a stream of water in to a bare bulb.

The bulb glass cracked and a chunk of it fell out, and the bulb proceeded to spew unprotected light/UV? on to 3 plants. It really fucked them up. They got light poisoning!

It has been a week since this happened. Almost all of the exposed leaves turned leathery, then brown, then fell off. New growth has bounced back and plants look ok again.

Be careful with water around your bulbs people.

Confuten1

Confuten1

exploitin strengths - perfectin weaknessess
Supporter
Im forced to go back to vert bare bulb this round as i overgrew my veg crop and don't have enough ceiling space. Ima run 4 k 2 rows of 2 bulbs fully surrounded by plants middle row will get light from both sides. everything else will be lit from one side. Ill post some pixs soon as i get it set up.

confu

Pancho-N-Lefty

Pancho-N-Lefty

Da umm ... thats a mo-fo. hope it all works out in nthe end as I am sure it will.

Confuten1

Confuten1

Supporter
@Capulator , thats scary about the bulb man glad everything is ok. I had a bulb melt down on me b$ , got so hard it cracked the ceramic base of the light fixture.
as i mentioned above I NEGLECTED MY VEG CROP AND LET THEM GET OVERGROWN SO I HAD TO RETOOL MY ROOM THIS ROUND AND IM BACK TO VERT for this round. below is a couple of pictures. plants looking kinda sad due to neglect, but with some love and caps Bennies, they'll bounces

Had a bunch of these laying around so i put them to work
back.
P1060169
P1060175
P1060176
P1060177
P1060178

Confu

ttystikk

ttystikk

@Capulator , thats scary about the bulb man glad everything is ok. I had a bulb melt down on me b$ , got so hard it cracked the ceramic base of the light fixture.
as i mentioned above I NEGLECTED MY VEG CROP AND LET THEM GET OVERGROWN SO I HAD TO RETOOL MY ROOM THIS ROUND AND IM BACK TO VERT for this round. below is a couple of pictures. plants looking kinda sad due to neglect, but with some love and caps Bennies, they'll bounces

Had a bunch of these laying around so i put them to work
back.

Confu

Hey brother, it's not looking so bad in there! The plants will be soaking up that sideways sunshine...

I placed my plants behind the mesh trellis and only the growing tips poke through. This helps me keep the overall plant depth very thin and should help with overcrowding issues. I'll be watching your progress, tag me from your thread-

Confuten1

Confuten1

Supporter
thnx TTy, i sprayed them with cal-25 and kelp yesterday and already look much more happier. Ill tag u when i start this thread.

confu

fractal

fractal

NICELY DONE CHAP! I love vertical and respect vert farmers more than the average farmer. Why more people do not grow vertical I cannot understand. With the right number of plants that are the right size, your yield on a vert garden even if you screw it up, is going to start at the high end of a yield from a regular light setup that is totally dialed in. And all the buds are top grade because they are all lit up from head to toe. Nice to have pounds of nothing but 3-gram nugs and larger from a vert plant.

Top Bottom