• Thread starter crimsonecho
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
Bonsai mothers (or clones) and how to keep them using root pruning. :D

These are more than 5 months old. Revegged in the same pot and root pruned monthly. Topped constantly. This lets me keep 18 bonsai for as long as i want in a ready to go state using just a 1020 tray. Space saving to the max!

A1D7606E 1874 472F 9D5D 901F53014F6F
497ECB0F 400E 49F2 ACC1 4DC103753115
B30F5E3D 124C 465D 81C2 5101EAD26225
3C5F7505 3CEE 45E3 981B 7C110E6A406D
188C928D 784B 4E83 99C7 C64E9DA4A718
70ABFE93 A057 4171 8C62 3DB7451EED50
4E3DB400 0C30 482B A2D7 CB8B3BC93A90
476A1D59 03B8 4B4A 834A 35E0D89BCB74

Last edited:
newh

newh

Bonsai mothers (or clones) and how to keep them using root pruning. :D

These are more than 5 months old. Revegged in the same pot and root pruned monthly. Topped constantly. This lets me keep 18 bonsais for as long as i want in a ready to go state using just a 1020 tray. Space saving to the max!

View attachment 852083 View attachment 852091 View attachment 852085 View attachment 852086 View attachment 852087 View attachment 852088 View attachment 852089 View attachment 852092
how much do you cut off the rootball?

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
do you fluff up whats left?

No, don’t mess with it after the prune. Its a stressful process as it is. If you fluff it up, it’ll be harder for them to uptake water and nutrients and bounce back, generally.

Last edited:
H

Highkev

No, don’t mess with it after the prune. Its a stressful process as it is. If you fluff it up, it’ll be harder for them to uptake water and nutrients and bounce back, generally.
What exactly is the reasoning for the pruning? Wouldn’t it be better just to repot sooner before the roots start bunching looks awesome though. I can’t believe the size of those nugs already just on day 36. Very impressive

Phylex

Phylex

What exactly is the reasoning for the pruning? Wouldn’t it be better just to repot sooner before the roots start bunching looks awesome though. I can’t believe the size of those nugs already just on day 36. Very impressive
No kidding! I was expecting my flowers to be that size closer to finish. When I saw your pic of day 36 I had to go out and look at my tent. I walked away just thinking, "Damn." (Mine are at day 36 today)

Great job!!

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Thanks for the compliments man.
The reasoning behind the root pruning is that since i dont up pot but rather keep them in the same pots for months and months they will eventually get rootbound as you see in the before pics.

Thus root pruning and then into the same pots with a bit of fresh soil keeps them healthy and “growing” in those small pots. This can be done many many times and actually in this case rootbound is a positive thing because i want to keep them small and getting them rootbound stops the growth.

Only when they start to show rootbound symptoms like deficiencies or warped growth, i prune the roots and keep them in the same pot for more than a month until next time. Since they will now have fresh soil and a bit of wiggle room, the symptoms will clear and they will start to grow. Then comes topping.

Last edited:
crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
No kidding! I was expecting my flowers to be that size closer to finish. When I saw your pic of day 36 I had to go out and look at my tent. I walked away just thinking, "Damn." (Mine are at day 36 today)

Great job!!

Hhhaha. Thanks bro. Living organic soil rules. Only if they didnt get deficiencies along the way. They would be even bigger. Oh well there is always next grow.
I’m sure your ladies will turn up sweet too, some wants just more potassium and some just never fatten properly :)

Last edited:
crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Companions are coming along nicely they’ll be utilized next autumn. That thai basil smells very lemony, which i like and the thymus citriadorus has, well like the name suggest, very citrus like smell too.

2558EDFD 1024 4D4F 8F84 0FD65175B01B
49CD1A92 02EB 4EEA 8E1F A1446B5B2B63

I have somewhat larger hands and for comparison i put up my thumbs near the buds. They don’t look very big to me but definitely nice for 38 days now. This is my first time with a 2 gallon so i don’t expect much but who knows. A little bit of tip burn i noticed so just plain water from now on. I’m currently watering every day to every other day which is another pain in the ass when going with small pots.

89BE050E E732 46BC AC63 DEE219D591F7
95EF643C ADE4 4EC0 A178 076901A53E7E
AB73FF27 D6D7 4A97 BEA0 092EC6079A63
9840A79F 8D75 4892 8805 8655543518CA
D4D88E37 7196 4CD8 AC57 2BDD529DB857
1DAFB805 FDD8 4322 B0EF 2AD6948FC6CC

Love that frost on the PAKs. Not very pronounced calyxes but they still have 20-30 days to go. So we’ll see. In any case one or two of them will be crosses with blueberry and dinachem.
Pak #1 and Pak #3 smells identical, very fruity, like pineapple. Pak #2 smells a bit like gasoline on top of a beautiful fresh fruit smell. Which is great
3 blueberries all smelled the same. The best and more distinct smell was the #1s which got culled sadly. The #2 and #3 are almost dentical. Frost is satisfactory on both.

Monster762

Monster762

Companions are coming along nicely they’ll be utilized next autumn. That thai basil smells very lemony, which i like and the thymus citriadorus has, well like the name suggest, very citrus like smell too.

View attachment 852319 View attachment 852320

I have somewhat larger hands and for comparison i put up my thumbs near the buds. They don’t look very big to me but definitely nice for 38 days now. This is my first time with a 2 gallon so i don’t expect much but who knows. A little bit of tip burn i noticed so just plain water from now on. I’m currently watering every day to every other day which is another pain in the ass when going with small pots.

View attachment 852304 View attachment 852305 View attachment 852306 View attachment 852307 View attachment 852308 View attachment 852309

Love that frost on the PAKs. Not very pronounced calyxes but they still have 20-30 days to go. So we’ll see. In any case one or two of them will be crosses with blueberry and dinachem.
Pak #1 and Pak #3 smells identical, very fruity, like pineapple. Pak #2 smells a bit like gasoline on top of a beautiful fresh fruit smell. Which is great
3 blueberries all smelled the same. The best and more distinct smell was the #1s which got culled sadly. The #2 and #3 are almost dentical. Frost is satisfactory on both.
Nice. My blueberry cross( xbj16bx) lost the grape smell n smells like blueberrys n cheese now. Like blueberry n dirty socks. Stupid frosty but all my blueberry crosses been real leafy Starting colas I think around day 38 on her. The original xbj16 (before I backcrossed it)was a 55 day strain from second gen genetics
E539527B 06F0 4FB2 B09C 5DE36733A73B

SoLowDolo

SoLowDolo

View attachment 852319 View attachment 852320

View attachment 852304 View attachment 852305 View attachment 852306 View attachment 852307 View attachment 852308 View attachment 852309

Clip yo fingernails bro! Nah, I'm just fucking with ya lol. For real tho, your shit looks great. And thanks for sharing your tips and tricks! Probably gonna try that bonsai technique you shared.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Nice. My blueberry cross( xbj16bx) lost the grape smell n smells like blueberrys n cheese now. Like blueberry n dirty socks. Stupid frosty but all my blueberry crosses been real leafy Starting colas I think around day 38 on her. The original xbj16 (before I backcrossed it)was a 55 day strain from second gen genetics View attachment 852330

Well smell is still here. Hope it stays on. Yeah these 3, including the one i culled were actually pretty much all calyxes.
Don’t really know why there is this difference and i don’t know if its genotypical or phenotypical expression because of the environment or feeding or medium etc. but they smell very minty, grapey and well yeah berry like. Grape is actual a good description of her smell i wasn’t able to put my finger on it till know.
Yeah grapey, minty and berry-ish :D

Last edited:
crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Clip yo fingernails bro! Nah, I'm just fucking with ya lol. For real tho, your shit looks great. And thanks for sharing your tips and tricks! Probably gonna try that bonsai technique you shared.

Hahaha. You’re welcome man. Its a good technique really and there are other threads here and there too. Pretty easy once you get the hang of it. I don’t do anything special. Just pruning the roots and clipping the growth as it gets too tall. But only 1 node below the tippy top so the bottom part always maintains many many growth tips. Thats important ime to keep it relatively even and thriving.

Monster762

Monster762

Well smell is still here. Hope it stays on. Yeah these 3, includşng the one i culled were actually pretty much all calyxes.
Don’t really know why there is this difference and i don’t know if its genotypical or phenotypical expression because of the environment or feeding or medium etc. but they smell very minty, grapey and well yeah berry like. Grape is actual a good description of her smell i wasn’t able to put my finger on it till know.
Yeah grapey, minty and berry-ish :D
Yeah she smelled like grape but now getting further along she’s getting a funky cheesy smell and more berry like not sweet grape.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Yeah she smelled like grape but now getting further along she’s getting a funky cheesy smell and more berry like not sweet grape.

Nice. Still sounds incredibly delicious. Cheese and berries. Mmmhhh!

Last edited:
crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Oh i finally got the last sob that was flying and it turns out, it was just a gnat. Couldn’t see what they were under lights and these just don’t get caught to yellow traps which led me to believe i had more than just gnats. Well that was a relief :D

Its good that i have these little stratiolaelaps scimitus a.k.a. Hypoaspis miles. Watering everyday now and only seeing 1 gnat per week. They do their job well.

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

Nice. My blueberry cross( xbj16bx) lost the grape smell n smells like blueberrys n cheese now. Like blueberry n dirty socks. Stupid frosty but all my blueberry crosses been real leafy Starting colas I think around day 38 on her. The original xbj16 (before I backcrossed it)was a 55 day strain from second gen genetics View attachment 852330
Looking great buddy. Wow!
I have some Skunkberry in jar that smells like blueberry x grandmas basement/socks :D all my blueberries Hermed on me tho

Top Bottom