Can water from a Dehumidifier be used to water plants

• Thread starter burnalot420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

burnalot420

Lolipop Genetics
Supporter
yea but it does kill the beneficial microbes/bacteria...is there a dilution rate that doesn't?

I

IGKali

not entirely sure how low of a dilution rate would be beneficial safe, but it goes inactive in a matter of hours. I think if you had a reservoir to hold the water for a few days prior to using it, you could sterilize it with some super-oxy and give it a day for that rogue oxygen molecule to break off and become inactive.

B

burnalot420

Lolipop Genetics
Supporter
What about the beneficials............

O

Ohsogreen

Water from an A/C or Dehumidifier, are both fine, provided you do not see any thing floating in the water, it does not have a TDS reading exceeding 80 ppm, or extreme pH issues.
If you do see anything floating in the water, pour it through a paper coffee filter, and hit the water with three teaspoons of Hydrogen Peroxide per gallon. Then wait one hour, & check TDS.
If the water is under 80 ppm, use it. It should be a very low TDS, because it should be nearly pure water.
Pure water has a reading of 0 ppm. R/O water is usually 20 ppm and under, depending on the type of prefilter & quality of the R/O unit itself.
If the TDS reading is greater than 80 ppm, you have metal leaching into the water, from the zinc plating on the drain pan and/or interal parts, or from the coils themselves.
Water with metals that have leached into them are a potential problem. A wise grower will avoid using such tainted water.
So to recap, if there are no chunks, TDS reading is good, then check the pH & correct as necessary.
The water coming from either unit is usually very good. But always check, before using. Better to know than to guess....
Better safe than sorry......

I

IGKali

It's not the actual quality of the water I would be worried about. It would be the container. The water that has been transpired and condensated( think condensation is the right process?) is probably very pure. The guts of the dehumidifier, on the other hand, may harbor all sorts of nasties. Being a cool, dark, moist environment, it would be the ideal breeding ground for bacteria. Spores and cultures would be the threat, not the level of dissolved solids.

T

Trillion

I use it mixed with tapwater. My bluelab EC meter doesn't register anything when I place it in the dehumidified water

JACKMAYOFFER

JACKMAYOFFER

Playing with Fire Son...
Supporter
I have been using my ac water and RO to water my plants it has worked out great my De humidafier has a pump and pumps the water out to a trash can I also have my drain on my split ac unit going to the same trash can, When I was in soil when the trash can was full I new it was time to water.:cool0041: Never had any issues with salt or bacteria...I have been using this water to top off my rez in hydro it has a ph of 6.o and ppm of o to 10 ...JACK

B

burnalot420

Lolipop Genetics
Supporter
It's not the actual quality of the water I would be worried about. It would be the container. The water that has been transpired and condensated( think condensation is the right process?) is probably very pure. The guts of the dehumidifier, on the other hand, may harbor all sorts of nasties. Being a cool, dark, moist environment, it would be the ideal breeding ground for bacteria. Spores and cultures would be the threat, not the level of dissolved solids.

this is what i am trying to get at, i hear that the shit on the inside will leave metals ie. the cheap ones from the coil, well the one i have is a lg live 250-300$ i think, wasn''t cheap, but it says the water is considered grey water unable to drink..seems obvious don't drink ok..then after some research..says u can use it on house plants...ok great...but then i also read that u can't use it on your food garden, or anything ya eat...hmmmm..:sign0065: so it has been making me wonder if this should apply to what u smoke as well..bu then i am thinking that with a two week flush, and final phase,any residuals that were there should be gone right???this is my concern..i am curently using it as i have heard many other do, but i would still like to get to the bottom of this..any farmers?:hi

R

Rolln J

why risk it - toss it or better yet run a hose so you dont have to dump the container everyday...

thats what I do.

B

burnalot420

Lolipop Genetics
Supporter
yea, i am going to be running the water through zero water...a product from lowes/home depot...like a ro filter system but it is a standalone and doesn't have to be hooked up to any pipes!!

B

burnalot420

Lolipop Genetics
Supporter
yea that is the goal brotha..that is goal...speaking of, does anyone else have some info on this?:smiley_joint:

ogtealover420

ogtealover420

Well my dehumidifier always grows pink slimey bacteria so I can't use mine and i have tried to clean the darnthing many times in hopes of using the water:(:(:(still no dice

webstar5

webstar5

I have been reading about this too. I have found that there has been a lot of talk about Copper toxicity. Also metals getting into the water. I also hear that the copper thing might only be an issue for older dehumidifiers.

If in doubt....play it safe....don't use it.

waayne

waayne

I have used my AC and dehumidifier water for years with no ill effects,but only on organic soil gardens. never tried it on Hydro

mikeross

mikeross

I have been using the water collected from 2 70 pints and 1 large 3 fan water chiller for all top ups.

I flush once a week with stored ph-ed city water.

I am in week 5 of flower and I collected 4-50gallon drums of water last week(week4) from my chiller and dehumidifier. Coincidently my plants drank a little over 200 gallons in week 4.

So with the above said is it fair to say that all the water I am collecting is actually pretty close to the amount of water my plants drank in that week.

I think the water is fine considering my plants are thriving... I think your concern is what the water has to flow through to get to your res. Make sure you equipment/tubing is clean and I think you should be fine.

I

InvisibleM

Mine says DO NOT DRINK. If they used lead on the copper joints then you could see why. I would only use it if it says its safe to drink, otherwise why take a chance....

B

Bobby Smith

I've used mine for top offs, and it works great.

For this build I'm just gonna have the waste pump directly into my reservoir for top offs - mine comes out at 6.5/5PPM, seems silly to waste that water.

EDIT: InvisibleM, I highly doubt you'd ever see a manufacturer take on an enormous liability by claiming that the water from a dehuey/AC is "safe to drink", but that doesn't mean it isn't - I've drank mine before (no lie, was too lazy to go into the house to grab some water).

I'm still standing, but I am typing this with my new sixth fingers on each hand :joint:

M

mal

Premium Member
Supporter
Dehumidifier Waste Water

Use my dehumidifier water always, its like RO water. I use a filter on my tap water ppm 60 add my dehumidifier water ppm 10-15 add a little cal mag voila

mal

Top Bottom